Wiring - Splicing best practices?

kevinchinook

I have an 1986 Toyota Sunrader Adventure 1. The rear taillights are functional in all manner but the housing, frame and lenses are all close to totally failing. I purchased:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Bargman/47-84-104.html as a replacement. I already have an LED taillight bar mounted high and wired up with scotchlocks(need to find better solution). When I install the new lights I'd like to re-do the wiring to the best possible long-term solution. Originally I was going to use piggyback spade connector terminals but have read that that is a weak solution. I am looking at using uninsulated butt connectors + adhesive heat shrink tubing. I was also considering wiring up Anderson powerpoles for connecting the lights but unsure if that is overkill. Any recommendations for splicing 3 wires together, step-down butt connector with 2 wires in the large end? My main concerns are reliability and safety. Willing to spend in this area.

Edited by kevinchinook
fixed

I like to solder wherever practical and use heat shrink tubing.   I do not recall ever having a soldered joint fail.  Although I have heard of solder in circuit boards causing issues. 

Lots of You Tube videos on how to do it.

Scotchlocks are ok but not exposed to any kind of weather. Butt connectors are ok if crimped properly but again no good in the weather. They do make butt connectors with built in shrink tube they are pretty weatherproof. Size is important they must match the wire gauge.