Won't go over 45mph with out misfire or stalling

It's fine upto 45. Then it gets unhappy.  75% throttle it stalls out or at 50mph any extra throttle it will backfire and stall if I don't let off gas.   

History

It did 1000 miles to VA. Not happily. But the last few hundred miles was fine.  Sat for 3 weeks . and barely over 35mph. Changed plugs. And fuel filter .There where fine.  Ran fine again for a few hours. Then this started. Intermittently. Today it's constant.

Plugs. Cap and coil are new. 

Any Toyota mechanic on the east coast. Currently in North Carolina. 

Thanks. 

Plug wires would be a great add to the easier electricals you've done, before paying the mechanic.  Those symptoms are CLASSIC to old wires.  Vacuum leaks in old hoses could do this too.

Edited by tstockma

Plug wires are new on the trip up a month ago.  I just swapped out the new coil I put in then. for the old coil. That helped for about 40 miles.   Was doing fine at 51mph and 25% throttle. Did not like going past 25% on the gas.    Replaced vacuum lines that looked bad. And no change in idle when I spray them with carb cleaner. 

Could it be the igniter ? 

Did you check your exhaust for blockage? 

Takes two people for rough check. At idle, hold hand near exhaust pipe. As you increase rpm’s the flow should also increase proportionally. If your running an old catalytic converter or muffler something could have let go inside blocking the exhaust.

Igniters are hard to find and very expensive. That would be the last thing I’d replace.

Thanks. Cap is new . I'm running Marvel mystery oil. I'll throw in some sea foam.

Exhaust was wielded last month. Not to say some critter didn't nest in it since then.  Checking that now. 

I just found air bubbles coming into my fuel filter.  Looking for a camp now to get under and track that down.   Igniter is $230. At advance. I'm trying to avoid that. 

A mechanic might be needed at this point...I'd do that before spending the igniter money...other than, yeah fix the air leak in the fuel line/filter.  Good luck!

I'm a little late to this party but throwing parts at it is a no win situation. You generally don't fix it and spend a lot of money doing so. If the igniter is toes up you aren't going anywhere. It sure sounds to me like a fuel issue.

Heading to nappa now for more fuel line.  Smaller diameter. Or just run all new line. I believe I coused this when I switched filters and over tightened clamp.   Even if it's not the main problem. Still needs to be fixed. 

I'll have to Google pcv valve. The only receipt that came with this truck was for a pcv valve. 4 years ago.  Does not mean the p.o. put it in.  

Thanks. 

Easy test for PVC valve operation. Remove the oil fill cap and place a stiff piece of paper over the opening. With engine running you should see the paper being sucked downward. If not, time to change the valve.

Sometimes your new fuel filter will be defective & suck air too.  If I've read your thread of events correctly, this specific problem didn't start until after (& not right after) the new fuel filter was installed?  This air leak might actually be the root cause of the current problem.

In the older engines without electronics the pcv does not play much of a roll in engine management the effect would generally be seen in engine idle (faster than normal). I think you are on the right tract with filter/fuel lines.  

At a shop now.  I'm told bubbles are normal with a mechanical fuel pump.  I had never seen them before. Or never noticed them.

They have pulled the tank and cleaned it.  It was full of debris. A lot of debris .

A year ago I drained it and found very little rust.  There is a small lip by the drain plug. So no rust came out when I drained it.

2 year old fuel pump also tested low psi. 

Hopefully this expensive fix gets us home. 860 miles to home. 

Thanks. I'll leave an update. 

Fuel tank debris - aha yes very believable.  I had a severe case in an old Chevy where debris sucked into the in-tank screen filter, killed fuel flow, then fell off the screen after the motor died, so it would start again & tested OK until at high RPM (high flow rate) again...  Makes sense to me.    

....some bubbles always present with mechanical fuel pumps?  Strikes me as odd but I can't say it's not correct.  Where's the air come from?  That diaphragm & one-way valve in a mechanical is working the fuel around, shouldn't let any air in...don't see how it could pull vapor out of the fuel...but sounds to me like you have a knowledgeable mechanic, so I'm not going to cry foul (or is that, cry fowl?) at that...

Remove the filter blow thu it if it resistive replace it. Mabe a good ideal to blow air back into the tank also they have a screen filter inside the tank. A carbureted engine any more is a dinosaur think lawn mower then remember why they were hard to start or ran poorly.

So I left after 300$ to cleanse tank. In a get me home style. No bubbles in fuel line.  Wial he said it was normal. He also said the pump valve was passing fuel threw the wrong valve.  Not sure where to go with that. No bubbles now.    In the end. I need to rebuild or replace carb.  It was worse when we left the shop.  Blocked jet.  4 cans of seafoam and 15 miles of mabye we get a camp or mabye side of road.  It feels better.  Will have more time in am to explore this.

That said.  This shop was amazing.  They were obviously distraught they could not fix my truck.  Only charged for tank removal. Fix the master brake vacuum leak for free.  Iv spent stupid $ telling other shops what was wrong. To no avail.  I'm always wrong.....

Diversified Auto & Tire in New born NC.

Adam is a younger guy. But has a datsun 720 and knew my Toyota r20.   Highly recommend them.  Plus a nice loaner truck. 97 Nissan pickup 5 speed. 

In a final note.  My wife did insist I replace the gas tank 2 years ago.  I did not. And it will be a long time before I live this down.  

13 hours ago, Scott iv said:

Carburetor's have their moments but overall work very well. Debris in the fuel tank, yes. Plan on replacing that fuel filter a few times after your tank being dropped and cleaned. Good luck. 

I'm 75 I worked on vehicles for 38 years it took the American industry decades to realize that the Europeans had the right ideal about carburetors. 

• 10 months later...
On 10/19/2020 at 7:13 PM, linda s said:

There is no replacement available for your tank. Not Toyota or aftermarket. better take care of yours. And you can tell your wife there was no replacement two years ago either

Linda S

I replaced my 86 Dolphin fuel tank in Tucson in 2017...  Retroactive brownie points to the wife.

Haven't seen it done in decades but what we used to do to clean an old rusty tanks was to suspend it from the over head with bungy cords pour in some BB's or even clean gravel than shake it back and forth till you get tired, dump out the stuff quick wash and let it dry! Great deal of tanks now are plastic. 

1 hour ago, Cynxing said:

I replaced my 86 Dolphin fuel tank in Tucson in 2017...  Retroactive brownie points to the wife.

I was saying there are no new tanks available for a 1980 truck. 86 is a whole different ball game. 

Linda S