Help with info and pricing my 1978 Toyota Cal-Camper with a ton of updates and repairs

PDXoriginals

Hey guys. I've long lurked this forum, and got a lot of help reading repairs posts, and it's finally time to sell my baby. Awhile back I purchased this 1978 Toyota Cal Camper from an old guy that took good care of it, but rarely used her. She came with a paltry 62k, and everything was original. After some road trips and fun, my wife is making me sell it as we've got a newborn and the money would be nice. 

I've found a ton of info about Sunraders and Dolphins, but VERY little about the Cal-Camper, so any background information would be much appreciated. I'm also trying to price it out, and having difficulty finding any info about it. Details below:

Low 66k miles. The 20R, 4 speed manual gets an impressive 16-19 mpg, and runs amazingly well. This motorhome comfortably sleeps 4, and features a functioning toilet and sink. The RV had been well cared for by the previous owner, but we've gone all in, updating a variety of features, and making a litany of repairs. The refrigerator works with propane or electric connection, basically everything running perfectly except the AC needs to be recharged.

Upgrades: 
-New cream vinyl front seats
-Brand new bed and seat pads
-New curtains
-Refinished the faces of the cabinetry 
-Painted the trim and ceiling 
-New cabinet hardware
-Lines have been cleaned
-Removeable propane tank recertified 
-Sink waterpump replaced

Repairs: 
-New muffler
-Gear box tightened
-New carburetor 
-New idle solenoid
-New air and fuel filter
-Brake system flush
-New rear brakes
-New wheel cylinder 

Photo Oct 12, 4 05 16 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 12, 4 05 26 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 06, 2 28 52 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 12, 3 15 30 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 12, 4 04 21 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 12, 4 04 41 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 12, 4 05 08 PM.jpg

Well it does look very nice. If you have any old documentation, like a repair bill from the previous owner, showing mileage it would be good. Speedometer rolls over at 100,000 so buyers might assume real mileage was 166.000 miles. So what your selling is a unique vintage camper, not just run of the mill.  Does it have the old 5 lug axle though. It looks like it has dually wheels back there. That would seriously impact the selling price. If the axle is good I would think something in the 6000 dollar range would be right. 

Linda S

That's surprisingly low, I've seen Sunraders in worse condition with more milleage sell for 15k. We have multiple documents showing the mileage is truly that low.

Edited by PDXoriginals

1 hour ago, PDXoriginals said:

That's surprisingly low, I've seen Sunraders in worse condition with more milleage sell for 15k. We have multiple documents showing the mileage is truly that low.

It’s still a 42 year old vehicle. Big issue will be the rear axle. If duelly with 5 lug nuts the axle is unsafe and will require upgrading. Good luck.

The following link is to a Sunrader I used to own. Not sure it is still for sale but at that price?? The seller though is missing some facts. I completely built a new exhaust system. Starting at the turbo I has a larger down tube manufactured. Not going to get that from Toyota and then 2.5 inch exhaust all the way. We sold it for 16K back when.  http://www.toyotarvforsale.com/1986-sunrader-turbo-in-santa-cruz-ca/

3 hours ago, linda s said:

It's not a Sunrader and 70's Sunraders don't go for 15 grand. My Sunrader is an 86 with only 68,000 miles and I don't think I would ask more than 15 if I was selling it

Linda S

I appreciate your input, but I have actually seen 2x late 70s Sunraders sell for 13.5k and 15k, respectively. Both had well over 100k miles, and neither had nearly as many updates to the interior as we've done to ours. I'm not expecting crazy money, but I'm willing to bet $100 that we sell ours for well over $10,000. 

I wish only the best for you. Hope you do sell it for what you want but you haven't addressed the axle issue. Is it 6 lug or 5 with fake dually wheels. Buyers are much more informed now and that is going to be an issue

Linda S

Also cab AC units from that age always need much more than a recharge. I didn't see a roof air so I think cab air is what your talking about. 

That's great. I do think it is a special camper for sure. The truth is these campers are worth what someone will pay. There was a member here a while back that only wanted an early one like yours. There has to be someone out there who wants a vintage Toyota Rv in such nice condition and is willing to pay a premium price for it

Linda S