Newbie here

Newbie here, I’m looking to buy a Toyota RV for the first time. I’m fine with a 4 cyl engine and manual transmission as I don’t ever expect to go further than my local 7-11 with it. I already pretty much know what kind of rear axel to look for. I know about the importance of finding a relatively low mileage, well maintained and well preserved rig. 

So, my question is: Is there a general consensus on what year and what model to look for? Are the Sunraders the best you can get or are there other good ones like Winnebago? I’m not over-concerned about up front price, I know that a good one cost$ but I see that as better because the resale value will also pay dividend$!

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience with me!

You’ll likely never get the $ back of what you’ll spend on it but they sure are fun to own and fix up (as long as you aren’t living full time in it haha which we did for 2 years) - we have a 1991 Winnebago warrior V6 - rebuilt the whole engine (the 90-91 have a head gasket recall btw) and currently rehabbing the interior - each has her own pluses, minuses and quirks.  Some people love the 22RE engine but we personally needed more power for our hefty traveling.  When buying take into account that these buggers like to leak/be moist so look for any moisture in the back closet, seams, shower area etc as well as the overhead cabin and window.  Low miles seem great but if the rv hasn’t been used enough then you will come across issues like rotten hoses and rusty parts etc from non-use so just be aware.  We took out our heater bc it was so inefficient and use a portable ventless propane little buddy if it’s chilly.  We also took out the water heater bc well it was heavy and inefficient too.  Just built a box where the wanky uncomfortable sleigh arm used to be. We aren’t camping in the winter so for us personally it was a good decision. I suggest YouTube to see how some have modified theirs and use theirs for reference as well.  Hope this helps! 
melissa 

42356658-3F9E-4C17-947A-D7661CDBB687.jpeg

66BE8023-ADB4-4F1F-A002-962C5325F365.jpeg

10ACDD19-EFC2-4AF8-B40A-44A43620A9B3.jpeg

CA47F439-E4D7-4C4B-BFF2-71034BC09A45.jpeg

There are some models that are sought after more than others.  Many people like the rear dinettes.  Also, the Sunraders offer full fiberglass shell coaches.  Personally, the most attractive thing that I find is a well maintained motorhome at a decent price.  Getting harder and harder to find.  I found a 91 Winnebago Warrior that had relatively low mileage and spent all but 1 year of its life in Arizona.  I got lucky.

17 minutes ago, Big Rolling Turd said:

There are some models that are sought after more than others.  Many people like the rear dinettes.  Also, the Sunraders offer full fiberglass shell coaches.  Personally, the most attractive thing that I find is a well maintained motorhome at a decent price.  Getting harder and harder to find.  I found a 91 Winnebago Warrior that had relatively low mileage and spent all but 1 year of its life in Arizona.  I got lucky.

We scored our ‘91 warrior in Southern California in 2017.  Nice n dry... hooray for 1991 - it was our heyday back in the 90s and my husband and I always both saw and liked these as teens.  I guess it’s vintage now but all I can see is that sweet sweet camper that seemed like it could be my salvation in the 90s when I was a teenager looking to move out ASAP.  Haha and now we get to own one 30 years later but I think it’s so practical and radical and still our salvation to get away anytime! 

A couple other things to keep in mind... these vehicles are 30 years old or older and unless someone has meticulously kept up with everything, you WILL encounter issues.  Be patient.  Components will fail and it may seem like you are trying to plug a hole in a dam, with 3 others taking its place at times.  Start by going over critical systems, like brakes.  Also, what looked 'sweet' at the time of sale, loses its luster and shine when its in your own yard.  It's easy to overlook things when you are excited and anxious for one of these rigs.  As previously posted, pay close attention to any water damage or potential rot.  Poke, prod, even request to look at the interior during a downpour.  Whatever it takes.  The last thing that you want to tackle is a gutting of the interior, and rebuild of the cab over, or floors or walls.

Dolphins have the most headroom if you need more than a Sunrader offers.

That being said they need the most care, if they don't get proper care they go bad faster than most. So old uncared for Dolphins are not a good deal other than for free.

There are several brands that have aluminum framing as opposed to stick framing.

1 hour ago, Radchik77 said:

We scored our ‘91 warrior in Southern California in 2017.  Nice n dry... hooray for 1991 - it was our heyday back in the 90s and my husband and I always both saw and liked these as teens.  I guess it’s vintage now but all I can see is that sweet sweet camper that seemed like it could be my salvation in the 90s when I was a teenager looking to move out ASAP.  Haha and now we get to own one 30 years later but I think it’s so practical and radical and still our salvation to get away anytime! 

I graduated high school in 91, and never even knew these existed at the time.  Purchasing one of these toy motorhomes was the best investment my family made.  It opened up a whole new world, we love it!

2 hours ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

ALUMINUM FRAMING???

I would give an arm and a leg for one that has aluminum framing!

2 hours ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

ALUMINUM FRAMING???

I would give an arm and a leg for one that has aluminum framing!

My 1979 Galavan has a steel skeleton frame with fiberglass covering. No rotten wood to deal with and holds my rooftop AC with no sag. I really lucked out on this one. Only 2 others like mine are still on the road.

Escaper, Conquest, Odyssey American are aluminum framed that I can remember

Nova Star has steel framing too. Best way to find is just search craigslist in RV's and to know what your looking at. Not just your local craigslist either. Go as far as your willing to to get the right camper. Google these names and see how the windows look etc. Lots of people don't post the brand and many call everything a dolphin. Knowing what exactly your looking for is the key.

Linda S

Thank you Linda! I just found a nice one in Oregon on the internet that I’m reading about, the owner states that he always changed all its fluids on time. I don’t believe there are sweeter words in the English language to me.. 

http://www.toyotarvforsale.com/1986-escaper-in-eugene-or/ 

Edited by Johnny Appleseed
Additional info

Just for fun, here's a pic of when we first started the wall work on the Odyssey Chaparral! 

IMG_3960.PNG.3f2741a172b6254771afabfa95600ac7.PNG