C02 detector necessary?

MaineJed

Hey there MaineJed,

My 2c...

The more air-tight and well maintained your coach and cab are, the less you pay attention to regular furnace maintenance, inspection of the stove/oven,and associated gas lines etc, the more one chooses to use unapproved heating sources, the higher the risk factor.

Having done a total rebuild and looking at the cost and size (mine is a small commonly available battery-powered household unit from Hopeless Depot), I elected to take the $10-15 plunge and found a correct out-of-the-way place to mount it and never looked back. 

To be fair, in 10 yrs, I have never on this blog, heard of a tragedy involving asphyxiation due to a faulty "dog-fart-alarm" as they are known in some circles ;). PTL.

Most older rigs leak air like a sieve, so the air leakage reduces risk, but, if you're snow camping, it's inefficient.  I would also add that I would doubt the functioning performance of any stock unit as old as the rigs many of our members have. Most of them are 80's technology and lots of technical things are way better now at lower cost.

Essentially, mine was "hosed", so I replaced it 'cause that's how I roll. I also try to remember the next owner may have grand kids.  Again, just my 2 cents, opinions always vary.

BR,

TG

Living in and traveling with 25 to 40 year old motorhomes  have multiples of CO, Fire and Propane detectors.

These old rigs are prone/high risk to a multitude of problems.

Should I just get a Co2 detector or a combo co2/propane one, Any suggestions on a decent one to buy? This one looks good

Edited by MaineJed