Exceed GVWR

sophatroph

I recently bought a 90 Toyota micro warrior. The plate on the door says the GVWR is 6000lbs. I took it to a weigh station to see how much I could pack in there and it was already at 6000lbs empty (half tank of gas, ~7 gallons fresh water, and me(130lb))

a little about the camper

It has the v6, but I’m pretty sure it originally had the 22r, which would account for some extra weight. 

It also has a hand crank awning which was not stock

other than those two things I don’t think there’s anything substantial adding to the weight of the camper.

it is a dually with the 6 lug axle

I searched the forum and found that it’s a common issue, and that people seem to just go over the GVWR.

my question is how in safe is it to go over the GVWR and what amount can I get away with?

The GVWR was so close on some models you could order a spare tire or a microwave, but not both.

I traveled with on a little fresh water and food stuff. Filled up both at the destination. IIRC I was typically 6-700 lbs over at the start of a trip. If I had to load up first I would be in the 1000lb over range

Edited by WME

I ran my 1988 over the scales in October 2013 and it weighed 8,200 pounds.

Had ladders on the roof and every tool I could pack into it for a winter in Florida.

My gas mileage for the entire trip (5000 miles) was reduced to around 12 mpg.

Otherwise I get 15 to 18 mpg on the flat roads and this rig has always averaged 15+ on 5 to 10 thousand mile trips.  The previous owner kept a detailed log of every expense over 50k plus miles and over her ownership it averaged 15.7 mpg...

I have had to do a few panic stops over the 50k plus miles I have driven my rig and learned the lesson early that this rig is not in any hurry.

Keep all kinds of space in front of you and pay attention.

Welcome.

Post some pics of your rig.

We like to look them over.

I’m loading it up today and tomorrow, I guess I’ll go weigh it and won’t worry as long as I’m not more than 1000lbs over.

I Mathis might be a stupid question but should I adjust the tire pressure? Or keep it at the max psi? 

On 8/29/2020 at 8:30 AM, sophatroph said:

I’m loading it up today and tomorrow, I guess I’ll go weigh it and won’t worry as long as I’m not more than 1000lbs over.

I Mathis might be a stupid question but should I adjust the tire pressure? Or keep it at the max psi? 

You don't even need the tires at 65psi max if loaded to 7000lb.

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

You don't even need the tires at 65psi max if loaded to 7000lb.

I think my front tires the max is 65, but the back are 50 max