I have a situation with spare tire looking for some ideas. See photos of the  existing condition: 

Spare is held with ONE top lug, two below are so loose, wood rotted away and they are worth less. 

I went on Amazon, ebay and several other sites looking for a spare wheel carrier.. My first thought was to use my 2" hitch. They seem to be so tall. But that will be my last resort as it will limit the hitch to carry just one tire. 

My bumper is plastic/ fiberglass not sure, it protrudes about 12" out that I had to use 7" hitch extender to use Hitch rack. 

Thank you  

20200811_154336.jpg.dbcf18d812ab5d7d9d03a91ab8c4312c.jpg

Thank you

Sorry,

I cannot visualize how and where it goes behind the rear Axle.

You may have the rig for the spare underneath already.

JJRBUS is a great illustration.

The spare tire thing may be located in different places.  

I have one under my 1988 toyhome but the 1991 does not have one.

My 1988 had a piece fence-post welded to the top of the reese hitch that held the spare tire as seen in the first picture taken a few days ago..

After seeing your post I went to take some more pictures...

The thing was gone. It had vibrated so much that it finally busted off and parted company.

OOPS.

That said carrying a spare is a problem.

I have seen many rvs loose the entire back end with a tire and rim hanging like yours.

In the future my tool kit will include some tire irons and just a tire with no rim so when and If I have a failure I can either sort it out myself or have

the exact tire that is needed.

20200806_085103.jpg

20200829_165652.jpg

I have a spare tire mount that goes into the hitch receiver.  It's been sitting in my shop for years.  Free if anyone wants it.  You pay shipping.  Located near Eureka California.  It came off of my 84 Dolphin.  /will add photo later.

Update...  not what I remembered.  Took a photo.  Not sure how it worked  now.  Maybe it is just scrap metal.

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

Edited by FredNewell

20200901_104606.jpg.091009e43652aa47303f6008ec39033d.jpg

This is what it looks underneath my Rig. Currently Exhaust Pipe and Waste line are in the way if spare tire gadget fits to the frame. Perhaps this will have to wait for the future project. 

How about in the mean time use combination of few pieces from ebay. See below: 

s-l140.jpg.7b45c82275ca49961caf89c6232cd64f.jpgs-l64.jpg.d3998927dea3812ccf782459c63b9a13.jpgs-l400.jpg.e841a9028e5500a751e6e086a5e291a1.jpg Anyone experienced using these or any similar Spare tire carrier devices. Good, Bad and Ugly of them please. 

s-l400.jpg

s-l64.jpg

Edited by V6 Seabreeze 92

What is going on with that exhaust pipe and why does it look like it's attached to your leaf spring shackle. It should go out the drivers side not the passenger. If it was set up OEM there would be plenty of room for the tire under there. 

Linda S

I have a 94 Sea Breeze and needed to get the spare off the rear.   It was easier to cobble a spare tire carrier together than move things to utilize the original spare location.

image.png.5a3166f12c0ca6f11cd90d137363386a.pngimage.png.7c31a09db54917149ab7fb4c14ce3be5.png

Another hint, plan to put the spare tire in the other side down then you can check tire pressure once in awhile instead of removing the tire.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:48 PM, linda s said:

What is going on with that exhaust pipe and why does it look like it's attached to your leaf spring shackle. It should go out the drivers side not the passenger. If it was set up OEM there would be plenty of room for the tire under there. 

Linda S

The photo was taken from an angle, in fact exhaust pipe is quite free, not touching Leaf Spring shackle or any other part. . It appears the exhaust is newer than the rig, possibly redone by the previous owner. I checked the clear space and in order for spare tire to fit Exhaust pipe and Waste lines will need to be rerouted. Like JJRBus said "It was easier to cobble a spare tire carrier together than move things to utilize the original spare location." but not sure what !! I am not so handy as many forum members are. They do amazing things. I am definitely inspired.

On 8/24/2020 at 6:12 PM, WME said:

Hi WME

Thank you for your recommendation. I contacted the seller to make sure this part will fit my rig and below is his reply :

" I don't see where you'd mount it. If the chassis is the same as the pickup you should be fine. If the chassis is modified, which is likely, than it may require modification to be used."

In addition I have been searching few other sites for this Spare tire Carrier. In order to start the part search I need to plug in the Year, Engine, and Cab size. I would think it would be Long bed. is there any special designation for the Motor Home chassis.

I just do not know enough and would appreciate any help. Thank you.

The seller is the one who made the modifications by running the exhaust across the back to come out the passenger side. It will probably make installing the standard spare tire hoist impossible. As you can see the middle of the spare sits right about over that rear spring clip. Lots of room on a Toyota with exhaust out drivers side. Ask the seller WHY. I see no reason unless whomever did it just wanted to charge for all that extra pipe.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

I am sure the exhaust came from National like that.   You can cut a circle piece of cardboard and see it it will fit there with the exhaust pipe moved to the driver side exit.  I might have been able to but some things were just too close. 

My spare was mounted in the factory position. When I replaced my tires, I dropped the spare to replace it with the best on road tire. There were blisters on the spare tire from the exhaust pipe.

I took a 18" piece of a 1/2" larger exhaust and split it length wise. I tacked 4,  3/8" nuts to the inside.

I used stainless hose clamps to strap it to the exhaust as a heat shield. Worked great no more more heat related problems with spare