So I finally got to test drive this unit I'm thinking of buying.  The brakes seemed a bit slow to respond.  Not sure if that's just old style where you have to pump a bit harder to stop.

Next the steering had a bit of sound when turning.  Otherwise engine sounds very good.

Do those sound like major issues to you folks? I added a bit of brake fluid to top off.  Maybe it's a bit better.  Guy said there was brake job done 3 years ago.

9 minutes ago, Annoying said:

So I finally got to test drive this unit I'm thinking of buying.  The brakes seemed a bit slow to respond.  Not sure if that's just old style where you have to pump a bit harder to stop.

Next the steering had a bit of sound when turning.  Otherwise engine sounds very good.

Do those sound like major issues to you folks? I added a bit of brake fluid to top off.  Maybe it's a bit better.  Guy said there was brake job done 3 years ago.

3 years ago on a brake job of a vehicle of this weight means it’s probably due for another. These things use brakes. As far as steering goes, with the mileage and weight of these, unless it’s undergone a full front end overhaul, you’re going to have a loose steering wheel. 

The brakes were designed to stop a Toyota truck, not a house. Lots of stuff can be wrong though. Master cylinder, brake lines, wheel cylinders leaking? no way to tell without a complete inspection. 

Sound when turning slightly or a lot. We have steering stops that wear out and can cause a nasty grinding sound when you turn hard. Still available I think.

Trust me your going to find lots of other things that need fixing. It's old, crap wears out

Linda S

In 87 Toyota went to a larger front brake rotor and calipers but it may actually be a 86 truck just commissioned in 87. They didn't stop a lot better though.

12 hours ago, linda s said:

The brakes were designed to stop a Toyota truck, not a house. Lots of stuff can be wrong though. Master cylinder, brake lines, wheel cylinders leaking? no way to tell without a complete inspection. 

Sound when turning slightly or a lot. We have steering stops that wear out and can cause a nasty grinding sound when you turn hard. Still available I think.

Trust me your going to find lots of other things that need fixing. It's old, crap wears out

Linda S

It wasn't too too much.  I just saw a tutorial on how to switch out the steering fluid with a turkey baster.  That would probably work I bet.

Very common issue in all Toyota pickups or motor homes. When they were made there was  a plastic stop on steering that touched the lower control arm full stop generally after awhile it wore out and the stop touched the lower control arm with no plastic stop it is not dangerous just annoying. One simple fix a little dab of grease when you do the fittings it will be a very obvious shiny spot on the lower control arm.