I started replacing three engine belts. Having issues with Idler Pulley. Could you please send me some advise how to loosen Idler Pulley to get the belt over  it. 

I have loosened Power Steering and Alternator to replace these two belts. They seem easy to replace. 

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

(For future readers, here's some more info.  These notes are specific to the '86 22RE, might apply to others.  These notes apply to fan belt replacement, also to radiator hose replacement.)

Linda, that article helped - but it skips over a few pieces, at least on my '86.  There are a few links from it which help a bit, but I couldn't find a ink to  the complete job.  Years other than my '86 might be kinder to work on...  I used this opportunity to also replace upper, lower, and the middle "hidden" pipe-to-water-pump radiator hose.

I don't think belt replacement can be done without removing the fan shround & the fan, plus the plastic cross-pipe between air filter & intake into injection system, I also needed them out for 2 of the 3 hoses I mentioned.  Drain radiator & remove top hose, intake cross-pipe, then unbolt & lift out shroud & fan.

(Looking ahead in these instructions - if you plan to remove the idler pulley, its bracket, & unbolt/move the power steering pump, NOW is the time to loosen the 22mm nut in the middle of the power steering pulley.  I managed to skip removing those parts, you might not be able to.  Loosening that pulley nut is tricksy - my PS pulley did not have any kind of opening anywhere to shove a screwdriver into, to keep it from spinning - so as I tried to loosen, the crankshaft itself spun.  You probably need another 1/2 inch breaker bar & a socket on the main crankshaft pulley bolt to prevent it from spinning - instead I tried the operatin without taking those parts off & it worked.  Read on.)

So with the cross-pipe, shroud & fan out, remove the outer PS (power steering) belt.  Fairly straightforward after you realize the trick to the idler pulley - not only must one loosen the tensioner bolt, but also the center-of-the-pulley nut.  That nut is the lock nut for the tensioner adjuster - loosen it before you loosen the adjuster - then turn it counterclockwise to loosen the belt (a whole bunch of turns) & pop the belt off.

Next is the AC belt.  In my case, the previous owner took off the compressor & threw it plus belt away a long time ago, so I can't speak from experience.  And, it looks reasonably straightforward.  AC is on passenger side of the engine - about everything else I mention in this post are driver's side - so the AC doesn't have interference with other parts.

(If you plan to remove the idler pulley & its bracket - and unbolt the power steering pump, to move it out of the way - now's the time.  Hope you got the PS pulley loose already, as noted above.  I didn't remove these parts, got lucky & worked around them.  IF you can remove those parts, it will greatly help with the remaining belt & that "hidden" radiator hose.)'

With idler & PS pump in place, I was barely still able to access the alternator's lock nut on that curved bracket.  You also must loosen the bottom long bolt & nut which attaches alternator to bottom bracket, underneath.  With those done, hoorah! the remaining drive belt for alternator / water pump came right off.  

IF you are also removing that "hidden hose" which connects the lower-pipe to the water pump, the pump-side clamp is really tough unless you have the PS pump unbolted & moved.  I got real lucky, some thoughtful person positioned this clamp in a way I could thread the 3/8 drive extension & socket through the idler bracket & around the PS bracket.  If you can't repeat that feat, you'll have to remove the idler bracket & the PS pump.  Once both clamps are loosened (releasing a bit more water into radiator & out the drain plug), get that hose out.  I had to cut a bit, mine was old.

Hose clamps other than the troublesome one above were tricksy, but not nearly as nasty as that one under the PS pump.  To recap, already got top hose, then middle - now get the lower hose.

Reassembly is simply done in reverse order.  I was very careful about hose clamp placement, so a future maintainer (hopefully not me) can get at those clamps same way I did.  It's probably very easy to put a pry bar or large screwdriver on the alternator to tension it, if you removed the PS pump; since I didn't, that was by far the hardest part of reassembly.

HTH someone in the future.

Edited by tstockma
clarity

HI Tstokma

I am impressed by all you did.

I do not know how different 22R engine is from my V6 engine layout, I was able to replace all three belts by removing only the battery. Loosening Alternator and Power Steering Pump was relatively easy. Loosening Idler Pulley took some time but I was able to work from above. This is where Linda"s link helped me to understand how to loosen and tighten it. I agree however there is not enough room to put your hand in and access parts. I was able to do it. I am sure more room you have easier the access. I can see removing so many parts and putting them together could turns it into a big project.

Nice - you've given me one more reason to consider upgrading to a V6 model in the future!   Fan belts "should be" easy!  Mine wasn't.  I do like to pass on "lessons learned" to others, hopefully other 4-banger owners will benefit.   ....and yeah, that link was key to my understanding of that idler pulley. 

Edited by tstockma