Hot water tank missing

So was looking at 1987 Slumber Queen and surprisingly it doesn't have a hot water tank. Does that mean it was removed? If so, can you add one? It doesn't have a shower either, but might have a drain in bathroom. I didn't look carefully.

Did some models come without?

Is it hard to find a hot water tank? Any idea the cost to put one in? Every thing else works well.

Thanks

James

Edited by Annoying

12V Propane/Electric RV Water heaters are readily available. A hint if it had one removed (unless it's been since covered), would be an unused or patched 14"x14" hole in the RV wall where the outside portion of the water heater was. 

On 8/19/2020 at 7:54 AM, Odyssey 4x4 said:

12V Propane/Electric RV Water heaters are readily available. A hint if it had one removed (unless it's been since covered), would be an unused or patched 14"x14" hole in the RV wall where the outside portion of the water heater was. 

Thanks for that information. I saw an 86 and the lady said she replaced the hotwater tank that looked like this.  

I'm in Canada. How common are these tanks and what is average cost to get one bought and installed.

The Owner of the RV confirmed is father removed it after it stopped work.  So shouldn't be that hard to make it active again. Right?

What exactly should I ask for to not sound so naive and gullible, to prevent being ripped off. Can anybody give some good suggestions?

Thanks in advance. 

James

PS: sorry for the ID Name Annoying.  The registration wasn't working on my smartphone and that's where it changed from ToyotaRVLover to Annoying. If you can change that Admin, I'd be happy.

hotwater tank.jpg

Edited by Annoying

They're super common as they're basically all the same size, in Toy homes they are a 6 gallon and utilize the 14"x14" cutout in the wall of the camper. They have an area where the in and out water lines connect inside the camper, the electrical connection, and the propane connection on the outside. You can see the screws along the border in your photo holding it in, there will be a weather sealant as well.

They are readily available from many manufacturers and you can choose to get one that's propane only, or one that can also heat with 110v power while plugged into shore but your camper will need to be wired for that if it doesn't already have that existing wiring. New they sell around here in the states for $350-450 from the research I've done. I can't comment on install costs as I do my own work and am unsure. An install isn't terribly complicated. Just be be cautious with electricity and flammable gasses from the propane. If you're not comfortable doing it definitely seek a professional! 

Well there are actually 2 common brands. The Suburban which has a square 14 x14 door and Atwood which has a rectangular door. Looking at pictures of Slumber Queens online I see both brands being used. Easy to tell which one you need by the shape of the opening that was there. Then just search online until you find the best price you can. Unfortunately there might have been damage done to gas and electric hook ups and pipes when it was removed. Those repairs can cost more than installing the water heater. Learning how to be a do it yourselfer is the first order of buying a 20 plus year old motorhome. If you don't want to do these kind of repairs they can be a money pit. 

Linda S

There is lots of work to be done even if you find one in supposedly good condition. Ya really ought to start with one that is at least complete

1 hour ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

They're super common as they're basically all the same size, in Toy homes they are a 6 gallon and utilize the 14"x14" cutout in the wall of the camper. They have an area where the in and out water lines connect inside the camper, the electrical connection, and the propane connection on the outside. You can see the screws along the border in your photo holding it in, there will be a weather sealant as well.

They are readily available from many manufacturers and you can choose to get one that's propane only, or one that can also heat with 110v power while plugged into shore but your camper will need to be wired for that if it doesn't already have that existing wiring. New they sell around here in the states for $350-450 from the research I've done. I can't comment on install costs as I do my own work and am unsure. An install isn't terribly complicated. Just be be cautious with electricity and flammable gasses from the propane. If you're not comfortable doing it definitely seek a professional! 

So, would I therefore ask for a standard 6 gallon hot water tank of the 14" by 14" size, looking like I know what I'm talking about? I'd love to try myself, but hooking up propane and wires that scares me. I am more of the artist type.  I would like the dual propane or electrical rig.  I wonder if it is that more costly.

Thanks so much......wanna get rollin soon.

15 minutes ago, linda s said:

Well there are actually 2 common brands. The Suburban which has a square 14 x14 door and Atwood which has a rectangular door. Looking at pictures of Slumber Queens online I see both brands being used. Easy to tell which one you need by the shape of the opening that was there. Then just search online until you find the best price you can. Unfortunately there might have been damage done to gas and electric hook ups and pipes when it was removed. Those repairs can cost more than installing the water heater. Learning how to be a do it yourselfer is the first order of buying a 20 plus year old motorhome. If you don't want to do these kind of repairs they can be a money pit. 

Linda S

There is lots of work to be done even if you find one in supposedly good condition. Ya really ought to start with one that is at least complete

Thanks Linda.  You really seem to know your stuff.  That's awesome.  I have passion for learning these things i am so interested in.  So i am eager. I think I am getting pretty good deal on the one I have in mind.  I think I will ask them to send me a picture of what it looks like that compartment.

2 hours ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

And again, they are super common, so that most RV Repair shops would have them in stock then?

cheers,

James

Is it the best idea to order online, find the cheapest price, then get someone to install? I'm in Kelowna, BC, Canada, if anybody has some good intelligence on which site to order from, I sure do appreciate it. I like the idea of a dual Propane/Electrical option.

Guess everybody is spread around north america.  Too bad the border is closed.

Much better to order online. Just like auto parts, prices at the repair centers often double. Then search local sites, Kiijii? is that it. and look for repair guys instead of a shop. Always cheaper and sometimes better work. They take care to do it right so you will ask the net time you need something done. Seems most shops don't seem to care. Amazon and most ebay sellers ship to Canada. Go to Canada ebay. Last water heater I bought I kind of stole on ebay. Less than 200 bucks new in the box. 

Linda S

I have a 18 ft Sunrader so the only water heaters that fit are the 4 gallon ones. Very hard to find and the ones they have on ebay now are close to 500 bucks. The model is Suburban SW4DSI cause it has direct spark ignition. A truck camper company was closing down in Oregon and this guy worked there and bought up all the leftover appliances. You would be looking for an SW6 if a Suburban is the right make for you

Linda S

Depending on your water needs, Rheem makes a 2.5 gal electric model that runs on 120V. They’re usually less than $200 but could only be used with shore power or generator.

So here's an update on pictures of the situation.  The fellow talked his mother and she found this old leaky tank and here's a few pictures of the situation.  How does it look to your seasoned eyes?  I can take the Atwood or whichever is easiest. There are a few models on ebay.  What number would I need do you think? thanks a lot.

rv1.jpg

rv2.jpg

rv3.jpg

rv4.jpg

Yes that tank is definitely an Atwood. Camping World has some on sale and they will ship to Canada but there will be an extra shipping charge. All the ones on ebay are closer to 500 so this might be a steal if they still have them in stock

https://www.campingworld.com/atwood-water-heater---6-gal-lp-3687.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvvj5BRDkARIsAGD9vlIO2p9jQ2auIQ-W9Lh61UxSItkm2B33eXvM1m6zKMh9cPrYcuoWbZYaAk7qEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Linda S

One other thing. Although I have a hot water heater I never use it. Ever. Don't know why but I rarely cold weather camp and the water in the tank is ambient temp so when it's 70 out water from my tap is 70 too. That's warm enough for me. 

That's awesome and good news.  I'm in Canada and the border is closed so it's gonna get cold pretty fast.  i wanna experience Vancouver Island and see how I like it.

Is there a particular model number for this? https://www.campingworld.com/atwood-water-heater---6-gal-lp-3687.html?gclsrc=aw.ds

So I need more than just the inner tank I presume? If the other components are still ok?  Or is it better just to get a whole new setup?

Camping Worlds shipping policies clearly state that they ship to Canada for an added shipping cost plus any import duties. Call them and find out. 

No the one on Amazon won't work. It's a Suburban. No buying a tank won't work either. The picture show no controls or ignition so I'm assuming they are gone. Needs to be complete.

Model number is Atwood-Dometic 96110 for pilot and 90073 for electric ignition

They are expensive. 

Here are a couple on Ebay that ship to Canada

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Atwood-Dometic-G-9-EXT-SP-90073-6-Gallon-RV-Water-Heater/143407714008?hash=item2163c40ed8:g:IfgAAOSw2wZdn0z1

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ATWOOD-6-GALLON-PILOT-GAS-CAMPER-MOTORHOME-WATER-HEATER-G6A-7-G6A7-96202-96110/383659488782?epid=6020585095&hash=item5953e3360e:g:YWkAAOSwVaZc59N6

First is the better deal cause it has auto ignition and includes door

Linda S

So, here's  a little update.  I do order from Campingworld by telephono.  And seems like the best deal.  Hopefully it's not crazy inflation at the border.  Probably is knowing my country.  But will see. The sales agent, Amber, was nice.

Just wanna say thanks for the support in figuring this out.  I would have been hooped without you all.  Thanks.

Edited by Annoying

On 8/21/2020 at 12:27 AM, linda s said:

Camping Worlds shipping policies clearly state that they ship to Canada for an added shipping cost plus any import duties. Call them and find out. 

No the one on Amazon won't work. It's a Suburban. No buying a tank won't work either. The picture show no controls or ignition so I'm assuming they are gone. Needs to be complete.

Model number is Atwood-Dometic 96110 for pilot and 90073 for electric ignition

They are expensive. 

Here are a couple on Ebay that ship to Canada

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Atwood-Dometic-G-9-EXT-SP-90073-6-Gallon-RV-Water-Heater/143407714008?hash=item2163c40ed8:g:IfgAAOSw2wZdn0z1

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ATWOOD-6-GALLON-PILOT-GAS-CAMPER-MOTORHOME-WATER-HEATER-G6A-7-G6A7-96202-96110/383659488782?epid=6020585095&hash=item5953e3360e:g:YWkAAOSwVaZc59N6

First is the better deal cause it has auto ignition and includes door

Linda S

hotwatertank.jpg