Hi- I finally got to work on rebuilding the back wall on my '86 Dolphin. The back wall is the bathroom and there's plenty of rot. I've removed the siding BUT there's a lot of the luan wood layer still stuck to it. Do you know the best way to get that stuff off?

Thanx

OregonSteve

"Never never doubt what nobody is sure about." -Willy Wonka

FiberglassInsideSurface.png

• 4 months later...

EDIT: Just realized how old this was and looks like you may have completed the work. Any tips?
I have tons of this to do as well. Someone mentioned using a sharp chisel. That seems so tedious and time consuming. I wonder if a heat gun would help loosen the adhesive? Perhaps a rough belt sander?

Edited by LittleHouseOnWheels

If you own a sawsall they make a scraper blade that attaches to it. That would be the fastest way. Lay the fiberglass flat when working.

Second way would be with an oscillating tool with a scraper blade or fine tooth bimetal blade. The bimetal blade will power through the old adhesive. Then finish any leftover with the scraper blade. Work slowly and take your time.

I abandoned the idea of trying to clean up the fiberglass as it took about 20 minutes just to clean a 6" x 6" area. That was using a heat gun and a putty knife. I ended up using Filon to replace the old siding. I would hesitate to use power tools as one wrong move and you could puncture/rip/tear the fiberglass.

Thanx

Oregon Steve

Edited by OregonSteve

On 1/15/2021 at 9:17 AM, fred heath said:

If you own a sawsall they make a scraper blade that attaches to it. That would be the fastest way. Lay the fiberglass flat when working.

Second way would be with an oscillating tool with a scraper blade or fine tooth bimetal blade. The bimetal blade will power through the old adhesive. Then finish any leftover with the scraper blade. Work slowly and take your time.

Good to know as I have both tools.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:49 AM, OregonSteve said:

I abandoned the idea of trying to clean up the fiberglass as it took about 20 minutes just to clean a 6" x 6" area. That was using a heat gun and a putty knife. I ended up using Filon to replace the old siding. I would hesitate to use power tools as one wrong move and you could puncture/rip/tear the fiberglass.

Thanx

Oregon Steve

Gotcha. Next question would be is it really necessary to remove all of it or could you just adhere new wood to the existing adhesive and what little wood remains...