Mysterious on/off switch

sophatroph

A few weeks ago I got this sweet 1990 Toyota micro warrior, and I came across this on/off switch on the side of the counter next to the sink. The previous owner said he’s not sure what it’s for. Any ideas? 

It’s been in the off position and the interior lights still work 

I haven’t plugged it in to see if it effects the outlets, but since the previous owner said they work and he didn’t touch the switch it shouldn’t effect those.

I haven’t had a chance to see where the purple and green wire head to.

D4B0AB51-B98C-47A0-BFF9-BF9A0AB1863D.jpeg

CBC2AA68-B4CE-4CD7-8061-890C58652B7E.jpeg

13 hours ago, RVdaytrader said:

I have a switch like that by my sink and it is for the water heater........now yours may be something different.

I don’t have a hot water heater but I suppose there could have been one once 

13 hours ago, Maineah said:

Pump switch? See what is does or pull it out and start reading voltage.

It’s not the water pump switch, and I can’t tell if anything happens when I switch it on. I’ll follow the wires tomorrow when I have a chance 

I see 3 wire colours: purple, green and white.

RV convention is that grounds are white.

The purple and green wires disappear off the bottom of the picture. Where to?

I don't know how clearly this wiring diagram will be (resolution), but green and purple seem to have been 2 of Winnebagos favorite colours!

Wiring Diagram - Body 12v.jpg

I think primary wire colors in RV's are whatever they had lots of!  My 87 New Horizon were green and blue. My 90 Sunline camper are black and white all the colors of the rainbow in between. NEC colors would have been nice!

Because of the size of the screws holding the switch on I'm going to say it's a owner installed switch so anything goes.

I had to do a lot of electrical work on my Sunrader and have found only one good rule: "there is no color coding rule" on these rigs.  Other than "red is probably hot" all the rest of the colors are questionable.  

Best advice is to learn how to use a VOM (volt-ohm meter).

1 hour ago, Royal said:

... one good rule: "there is no color coding rule" ...

No argument from me on that. I've looked but could never find anything on wiring standards from the RVIA. Mix in possible 'improvements' by previous owners over the years and a multimeter is essential! Plus maybe a fire extinguisher!