Storing Valuables - Safe?

Hi everyone! I’m wondering what other people are doing in terms of storing valuables. I was thinking to get a safe and drilling it down (somehow), but they can be a bit pricey for something quality. Also it’s a little tough to find something with the dimensions I’m looking for (to fit 2-3 laptops and maybe some cash) and I don’t want anything too heavy, obviously.

I’m considering making a little compartment within the framework of our bed over the cabin (or have a carpenter who will already be helping with a separate project). Or maybe to install a false floor of some kind in the storage compartment of our back bench. I figure that if it’s tucked away enough that it might remain safe and won’t need to be locked?

What do you all do? Any suggestions for us Dolphin newbies? :D

Not many of us live full time in our Toys. I do have a magnetic box in the engine compartment with an extra key for my bone head mistakes. Nowadays it's plastic over cash so no big wads to stash.

You might want to join up with the full timers, here they talk about safes.

Good luck and cheers!

Gary

7 minutes ago, linda s said:

Garbage bag lined with foam so no shapes show in the bathroom labeled POOP. Hide in plain sight

Linda S

💩👍

Build your own safe.
I built one in our previous van, and just finished a new one in our Sunrader.
You can do this easily and put it anywhere you like.
Mine is a simple box three sides made from 5/8 ply screwed onto a basic frame. The open side where the door goes is a piece of 16 gauge cold rolled steel.
At the bottom of this sheet of steel I glued a long hinge and then glued and screwed that hinge down into the frame.

The top of this door butts up against a piece of angle iron steel that is screwed/glued into the top of the frame. I drilled a hole in this angle iron and bolted on an eye bolt.

Then you drill out an elongated hole in the sheet of steel so the eye bolt comes through when the door is closed.
You can then add whatever lock you want.
I also welded on a lock cover so no one can access the lock with a grinder.
All of this can be done for well under $100.
Mine is 2 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet. I lined it with board insulation. It's a perfect place to store computers, electronics, cameras etc etc.
And.... just so you know. This is in no way 100% safe.
What it does is it stops those who only have time for a quick smash and grab.
It will not stop someone with tools and time. But most break and enters are only after something they can quickly grab.
I also built two smaller "safes" into my cabinets that have fake electrical outlet covers on them. This holds important paperwork, passports, wallets, phones etc that I can quickly store and feel good that they won't be found.
First photo is of the van safe.
Second is the Sunrader we are working on..... safe is lower right. That white thing is a magnet on the lock cover.

IMG_4839.jpg

IMG_5219.jpg

On 8/11/2020 at 5:45 PM, linda s said:

Garbage bag lined with foam so no shapes show in the bathroom labeled POOP. Hide in plain sight

Linda S

Hah!  I just blew coffee outta my nose.