I am looking for tires for my 1985 Sunrader. I know the size I need is 185R14 Load Range D or maybe a C.

Would either of these work? (I am not sure what all the extra numbers and letters mean).

(a) Hkook VanTRa LT RA18 185R14 102/100R D Tire  (from Walmart)

(b) Hankook RA18 185R14 D/8PR BSW (from Giga tires). 

Also, what do you guys think about the idea of replacing the rims, so I can use more standard size tires?

Thanks for any help! 

Those are exactly the same tires but I would trust Walmart before Giga tires to buy from. Yes they are the right size. If you have a 6 lug  full float axle in the back there are no standard rims that will fit. If you don't have one you need one ASAP. The Hankooks are not that expensive and you need a C or D load range to carry the weight of your camper. Passenger tires won't do

Linda S

Thanks Linda. I was advised to buy this particular Sunrader (by folks on your group, many years ago) because it had the proper axel, with 6 lugs, so (although I don't know what full float means) I think I have the right kind. But the front 2 truck rims have 5 lugs. I assume I still use the same tires for all 6? 

Also, just to clarify... You wrote "The Hankooks are not that expensive and you need a C or D load range to carry the weight of your camper. Passenger tires won't do."

But, you are still saying that these from Walmart would be the correct ones (not passenger tires), right? 

Hkook VanTRa LT RA18 185R14 102/100R D Tire  (from Walmart)

THANK YOU!

Edited by Noa

Different wheels are difficult to find. Perhaps impossible. The only option I have found are duallies from a 2019 -2020  Ford transit 350. They are a 6X180 bolt pattern with a 139 mm center bore. The offset is 109 mm. They are 16 x 6.5 inch rim. Tire options would be 205/60R16 or 195/65R16 with load index of at least 95.  The 102 rating would be even better. 

1 hour ago, akwcanoe said:

The only option I have found are duallies from a 2019 -2020  Ford transit 350. They are a 6X180 bolt pattern with a 139 mm center bore. The offset is 109 mm.

These would need modifications to have any hope of bolting on a Toyota FF rear axle. Use up front would also have to be tested for clearances.

What modifications? Bolt pattern matches. Center bore is good. Offset is adequate. 

I will measure again and double check. When I measured the hub it was 130 mm. I will check it again as well. 

I don’t know if you can get away with using 60’s or even 65’s on a duel wheel setup. They’d be fine for single application, but probably rub with duels.

Depends on the offset. I checked the tire width of the 60s and 65s against the offset and there is room with a gap left. As long as you the load rating is 95 and up, the sidewalls will be stiff enough to work. Also the sidewall is shorter on those sizes anyway. Ford are mounting 235/65s. 

The true test would be to get one and try it. Would be nice if it fit. There is a cost. $175 CND each at the dealership. 

This is an interesting mental exercise, but I keep asking myself why we're actually doing it? Better tire selection? Well, there appear to be more 185R14s available than 205/60R16s or 195/65R16s. Load capacities seem to be less than the 185R14s as well.

Tire (dual) might not rub together with that offset, but what about tires with frame, bodywork and steering components front ant rear?

The main reason is I can't get the Toyota duallies. Saw one  for $250 CND. Right now I would take any solution that puts wheels and tires on the back of my rig. The lack of these limits my travel. 

As you say, the selection of tires is really no better. Nokian have two good options. One has a load index of 96 and the other has a load index of 104 - $140 and $168 respectively. Ultimately, tires are not the issue - wheels are. 

Clearance is always a consideration.  I have compared tire width between my suggestions and Ford's stock tires and the 205s are actually narrower.  So the rims should be fine. My suggestions have almost identical diameters to the original F78-14 tires and only slightly bigger than the 185s. My rig currently ha 205/75R14s on the rear without issues of clearance on a 5 lug axle. 196/75R14s on the front. (Not my install). The F78-14s that were the original stock tire for my Sunrader were somewhere between a 205/75R14 and a 215/70R14. Taken alltogether, there shouldn't be an issue with clearances. 

I have no problems with the 185R14s by Hancock and others. Good tire with a great load rating. If I had, or could hope to find the Toyota duallies anywhere nearby, I would go with them. 

Sorry for the long post. Lots of things to consider 

Edited by akwcanoe
Typo

If these rims would work, my costs are about $800 Canadian. And I have new wheels - not used ones. Not sure I can get any here cheaper. 

Thanks Derek. I will keep looking. If I can get it here for @$100 it's worth it. The Ford's are $175 a piece - assuming they fit! :)