91 dolphin dometic hydro flame furnace squeeling fixed

Jeff1

My furnace was making a horrible screeching noise for the first 5 minutes of use ..each time I used it.  The fix? Simple.. I used 3 in 1 oil oN the fan motor. 
getting to the fan motor.. not so simple.  I finally got the courage to dig into The furnace..pulling it from it’s spot under the fridge (I have a model 200 dolphin 1991)..

To remove the furnace, first go outside and unscrew and remove rhe exhaust vent. Make sure that you carefully remove any caulking around the vent, and don’t forget to accidentally drop the screwdriver..so that it can roll directly under your rv and settle in the exact center. 
then go inside of the rv, and remove the cover off of the heater. Then remove the two screws from the frame (where it attaches to the wood) and then get a paper towel to wipe up the blood and to wrap the cut on your right hand. Its at this s time, that you want to have a glass of wine (beer can be substituted if necessary ) ..then using a 3/4” wrench, start to remove the propane coupling.. make sure that you stop, run outside to double check that the propane is turned off..then drink more wine.. then either unhook your coach battery or remove the 15 amp fuse that controls the heater . MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT PLUGGED INTO SHORE POWER.

THEN remove the propane coupling.. it’s at this point that you should take a break.

the next morning.. after coffee.. and dealing with the cat.. 

remove any drawers next to the unit, so you can have access to the back and sides.. you will need to loosen the unit by pushing it from the side, rocking it as best you can while cussing loudly .. cussing does help. Once loose, just slide the unit forward ....then you need to mark and cut the wires.. I suggest taking pictures so you can make sure to reattach them correctly.... Then you can slide it forward and out. The vent pipe is just pushed in and will pull free. 

after that.. it’s just removing a few screws.. cleaning out all the mud, dirt and bugs, and oiling the unit... test the fan motor by hooking it to a 12v.. . ( or just replace the motor ..it’s just around $100).. then put it back together, in reverse order...making sure to cuss and stop to drink more wine. After that.. it’s just posting it on social media.. oh, and more wine.

E0554EE8-B4AF-4D68-90F7-3B4482932941.jpeg

I have the greatest respect for your work ethic but it's usually the bearings squealing and they are sealed bearings. Oil can't get in there. Might fix it for a while but not long lasting solution. I would have replaced the motor because they are so cheap and as you showed us so difficult to get back in there. 

Linda S

I know you are right.. I need to find a new motor and a new combustion fan.. the old one can’t be removed.. the retaining nut was so tight I actually broke an Allen wrench trying to remove it.. it broke off flush.. so I’m gonna have to drill it out..

im gonna try to find a new motor and combustion fan .. then do it one more time..