Fuel tank micro cracks

Thank you all for the help. I’m in somewhat of a quandary. I’ve tried everything to fix the damn leaks to no success. Haven’t tried lining it yet as suggested.  One shop ”fixed” it to the tune of $900 and it started leaking again two weeks later. I still need to settle that account but that’s a different state.   Would just like to get a new tank but I do realize the 29 gallon tank is somewhat of a unicorn.  Argh!  

1 hour ago, GothicSunrader said:

Thank you all for the help. I’m in somewhat of a quandary. I’ve tried everything to fix the damn leaks to no success. Haven’t tried lining it yet as suggested.  One shop ”fixed” it to the tune of $900 and it started leaking again two weeks later. I still need to settle that account but that’s a different state.   Would just like to get a new tank but I do realize the 29 gallon tank is somewhat of a unicorn.  Argh!  

I neglected to mention that a tank cleaning and lining can be a DIY project.   A bit too much for me.   Google gas tank cleaning and lining,  look on You Tube.   Several companys sell kits.  

Yeah I saw a really good website that used KBS gas tank sealer for a vintage Chevy truck. Amazing results and seems lots of vintage car restorers use it. Of course I can't find it now but there are a couple of YouTube videos and it's very reasonable at 70 bucks for the whole kit. Totally worth a try. Says up to 25 gallons but site I saw sealed a 22 gallon and had lots left. 

All Makes All Models Parts | KB53000 | KBS Coatings; Tank Sealer (classicindustries.com)

Linda S

• 4 months later...

Epilogue:    I finally fixed this problem and I thought I would post the results.

1) use Ivory bar soap to stop leak temporarily 

2) Sand area vigorously 

3) Apply JB weld “SuperWeld” very thin layer.  Let it cure overnight. 

4) Apply heathy portion of JB Weld SteelStick on top of that, over micro crack.  Really work and press it in.  Cure overnight again.  

The above has held up where all other attempts failed after first rough road.  Kind of expect it to fail eventually, but so far looks very solid.  Might just roll this way forever and forget about getting a new gas tank.