84 Sunrader not starting, could really use some help!

So I bought this Sunrader a few months back. It had been sitting a while, but she started right up. Got it brought back on a wrecker.

A week or so later I had a fellow come show me around the camper a little, this is my first one. It started right up.

I must have left something on, drained the battery empty. Not even a jump start was doing the trick.

So I brought it to an auto place today and they charged the battery full, it's a new battery from 12/2019.

Brought it back, tried to start....allllmoooost!

I dont know. It is almost there, but won't turn over all the way. I pumped the gas like 10 times before trying to start it, as advised by the previous fella. It has new premium gas and seafoam engine stuff in it too.

Help please!

I'm doing so much interior work due to a leaky back window and a leak up above the cab, it feels like it's all for nothing if the sucker won't start!

Anyone in Vermont want to come help a lady out! 

The older toyota starters were famous for that click,click and nothing. It is a simple part inside the starter but most people just replace the starter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 8:40 PM, Maineah said:

The older toyota starters were famous for that click,click and nothing. It is a simple part inside the starter but most people just replace the starter.

There isnt a click click nothing though.  It almost turns over but then doesnt fire the engine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 7:40 PM, Maineah said:

I think that’s what’s happening to mine.  1982 Toyota 2wd motorhome.  Replaced the starter, once new starter was installed, turn the key to on, gear engages, starter does nothing.  Removed it, tested on a battery, same thing.  Gear engages, but starter doesn’t turn...any idea what that part inside the starter is?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 7:40 PM, Maineah said:

My starter is fine.  Bench tested at starter repair place, works perfect.  Reinstalled, gear clicks on run, nothing happens on start.  Going to check relay and solenoid, solenoid fuse.

It may test fine on a tester there is no load. They actually are good starters the biggest issue was the contact posts and disk inside they carried the full starter current. They actually are the starter relay contacts. Here is what they look like. https://www.ebay.com/i/274073566585?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=274073566585&targetid=935694487826&device=c&mkt

If you have the 20R engine there are two different starters listed. Mine uses the gear reduction starter (more expensive) but will fit into the restrictive space on the block. The other starter (cheaper) has a much larger body which could prevent a flush fit to the block. This would prevent the starter drive from engaging the flywheel which could be part of your problem. If you don’t have the gear reduction starter, try it and see if that corrects your problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi-one, maybe final thing to consider.  Sometimes when a starter gets too hot it will just refuse to work, maybe it's increased resistence in the starter or the cables due to the heat, maybe something else, either way if the starter gets hot and won't start but in an hour or so when it cools a bit will start, check to see if there is any heat getting to the starter from someplace else, if so try to put some sheet metal shielding between the starter and the source of heat (exhaust etc.), maybe not totally original and correct, but if it gets you down the road-  

With a 4 cylinder engine  it stops in one of two places when you turn off the key every time. Does this thing make any noise at all when you try to start it? The reason I say this it is possible you have a bad flywheel. If it does not crank but tries you can try one two things remove the starter and look at the flywheel or manually turn the engine to a different spot by hand and retry.