Datsun Sunrader

Gary_M

Here is an unusual one well... before the Nissan name anyway. Rebuilt engine and the shell looks to be in good shape, wonder if this one has follies? I'd jump but having 2 Toys in the driveway?....who knows.

00a0a_bQxPTSKwhCD_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Datsun and Nissan Sunraders are not that rare. I have seen many and of course I own one. Nissan was more prepared for the motorhomes too. Had a full float axle in 1984. Then they suddenly discontinued it in 1988 though some built late that year are considered 89's. Toyota's just got so popular they couldn't compete. I think the name change had something to do with it. People just didn't identify with the Nissan name. They liked their Datsuns. I used to have a boyfriend who worked at one of the busiest car dealerships in the country, a Datsun dealership. 4 years after the  name change they went out of business

Linda S

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I've just picked up a 1979 Datsun 620 Sunrader. I saw 6 bolts on the rear and just naively assumed that it had a 1ton axle.

After getting it home I see Its not FF, and the the rim is a solid one piece with two wheels attached to it. Is this just as dangerous as the Toyota Fake Dually's?

After reading a ton of ToyotaMorothome posts I feel like I've made a mistake by purchasing a rig without FF axles.

I'm hoping that someone can shed some light, Linda S in particular :)

Are the Datsun axles any stronger then Toyota?

If I need an axle swap, what are my options?

Thanks so much for any info you can share.

Ryan G

Datsun3.jpg

Datsun2.jpg

Datsun1.jpg

Yup same deal as the Toyota's. It can break. Since your never going to be able to find a full float Nissan axle the best case scenario is to throw the dually wheels away and run with single wheels in the back. A rear sway bar and slightly wider wheels and tire will help. A few companies made 205r14 tires

https://www.giga-tires.com/205-14/maxxis-tires/bravo-series-ue-168-n/tirecode/TL12458000

Weird, I did just find an axle in Everett, Wa. You would have to call and see if they still have it and of course wait for the border to open

http://www.alslynnwoodtruckparts.com/

So much easier and cheaper to run single wheels though. You could even upgrade to 15 inch wheels and you would have the option of buying wheels that actually look good. 

You have a very rare Sunrader there and it looks to be in pretty good shape. 

Linda S

Thanks so much Linda.

I was really hoping you'd say that extra bolt on the Datsun made them stronger :)

It does have sway bars in the rear, I will post a few pics of the underside.

a 15" single seems like a very easy fix if that will work. 

What axle did you find in WA?

I'm very excited to work on this rig, as it's in pretty good shape for the year. Need to weld in some floor pans and the drivers door needs a little work. The fiberglass is in good shape and I don't see any leaks inside. The cabinets and interior all need to be redone, but it has the original Duette oven/furnace, that seems like a fun way to heat up the interior. 

IMG_20200823_110758 (1).jpg

IMG_20200823_110736.jpg

Edited by DatsunSunrader
Added photos

The lynwoodtrucks link is where the axle is. If you go into their parts search and search for 1985 Nissan truck, axle rear with housing then click on the DRW or dual wheel that place comes up. They don't appear to have wheels but they might be still connected to that axle. It's from a later 720 truck. Be aware that many of the listings on the  https://www.car-part.com/ site are old and no longer active. Always call first. On the good side there were so few Nissan duallys made who else would buy it. Most people don't even know they exist. I had a dealer parts manager tell me there was no such thing once. I made him let me behind the counter and brought it up on his computer in a couple of clicks. Man did he feel dumb. 

If you go with single have your existing axle serviced. New wheel bearings , ect.

Also you really need leaf springs in the back or at least helpers. Shocks too. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Linda S

Thank Linda,

I'll call around and see what's around up here in Canada, might be a while before I'm able to get anything from the US.

Definitely need a new suspension, I've never seen Leaf springs so flat :)

Another quick question, anyone every do a swap of one of these fiberglass Sunrader backs onto a Toyota? I have a 92' Toyota reg cab 4x4 truck with an 22re that I've rebuilt. How crazy am I to even think of moving that shell onto my truck? 

Ryan

Yup people have done it. Another member posted not long ago with a pic of his Sunrader on a Tundra. Way beyond my skill set but try searching Tunrader on this site to see it. Also a member bajadulce. His thread shows all the work he did

Linda S

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2020 at 10:20 AM, DatsunSunrader said:

Hello,

I've just picked up a 1979 Datsun 620 Sunrader. I saw 6 bolts on the rear and just naively assumed that it had a 1ton axle.

After getting it home I see Its not FF, and the the rim is a solid one piece with two wheels attached to it. Is this just as dangerous as the Toyota Fake Dually's?

After reading a ton of ToyotaMorothome posts I feel like I've made a mistake by purchasing a rig without FF axles.

I'm hoping that someone can shed some light, Linda S in particular :)

Are the Datsun axles any stronger then Toyota?

If I need an axle swap, what are my options?

Thanks so much for any info you can share.

Ryan G

Datsun3.jpg

Datsun2.jpg

Datsun1.jpg

I have a 78 Toyota with the same Camper! This is the first one I’ve seen like mine. 

3FC612E2-B6F9-4A48-B2FA-7DDC7B5F9A1F.jpeg

Yes the rear ale is the same deal as the Toyota ones. There was just never a recall on the Nissan-Datsuns because they made so few of them and they came out with a full float axle in 1984. I see your doing a 4x4 conversion. Tracking is important in a 4x4 and your going to want bigger tires so just go with a single wheel in back. All the problem was cause by the fake duallys. Get rid of it and you will be fine. Easier to get a big load rating with larger single tires too. 

Linda S

• 2 months later...

I'm new here and came across this post. There is a 1984 Nissan RV (not a Sunrader) at the Fontana, CA. LKQ Pick Your Part. I stopped by to take a look and took pics of what's left on the rear axle.

20210122_144033.jpg

20210122_202628.jpg

20210122_144026.jpg