90 Dolphin Water Pump/Electricity?

Dolphin79

Hello Everyone in Toyota Dolphin land.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my water pump.  I'm trying to figure out if the pump is bad , or if it's something with the wiring/electricity supplied to the pump.

I had the deep cycle battery hooked up and the 15 amp switch turned on, on the fuse box.  I tested all the fuses with a voltmeter and they are good.  I tested the wires that go from the fuse box/converter to the water pump and nothing came up on the voltmeter.  I also tried plugging the RV into my house and that didn't even make the water pump work.

The guy I bought it from said that he only ever used the water when it was hooked up to an RV hook up.  And I know for that the water goes in at a different part than where you fill it when you fill it with your house hose.

I don't know.  I just don't want to buy a new pump if there is nothing wrong with it.  Does anyone know how to test the pump?  I'm not sure if I was testing it correctly with the voltmeter.  I ended up stripping the wires and re-twisting them bakh together and putting the plastic caps back on them, because I had taken them apart just to try and test them with the voltmeter.

Arrrrrg.  So frustrating.  AND WHY do the lights and ceiling fan still work even when the 15 amp switch is in the off position on the fuse box and the RV is not plugged in to anything????

I've attached pictures of:

*How I have my battery hooked up.  It's disconnected now because I have it on the charger. 

*The light on the panel shows red for the pump when battery is connected and switch is turned on. 

*The pump and how the wires are connected. 

*The fuse box with the 15 amp switch flipped to the "ON" position. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.24.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.24.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.25.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.25.51 PM.png

8 hours ago, Dolphin79 said:

Hello Everyone in Toyota Dolphin land.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my water pump.  I'm trying to figure out if the pump is bad , or if it's something with the wiring/electricity supplied to the pump.

I had the deep cycle battery hooked up and the 15 amp switch turned on, on the fuse box.  I tested all the fuses with a voltmeter and they are good.  I tested the wires that go from the fuse box/converter to the water pump and nothing came up on the voltmeter.  I also tried plugging the RV into my house and that didn't even make the water pump work.

The guy I bought it from said that he only ever used the water when it was hooked up to an RV hook up.  And I know for that the water goes in at a different part than where you fill it when you fill it with your house hose.

I don't know.  I just don't want to buy a new pump if there is nothing wrong with it.  Does anyone know how to test the pump?  I'm not sure if I was testing it correctly with the voltmeter.  I ended up stripping the wires and re-twisting them bakh together and putting the plastic caps back on them, because I had taken them apart just to try and test them with the voltmeter.

Arrrrrg.  So frustrating.  AND WHY do the lights and ceiling fan still work even when the 15 amp switch is in the off position on the fuse box and the RV is not plugged in to anything????

I've attached pictures of:

*How I have my battery hooked up.  It's disconnected now because I have it on the charger. 

*The light on the panel shows red for the pump when battery is connected and switch is turned on. 

*The pump and how the wires are connected. 

*The fuse box with the 15 amp switch flipped to the "ON" position. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.24.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.24.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.25.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.25.51 PM.png

You should take the meter and check for voltage on the wires that connect to the pump. The pump has to be turned on of course. If you want to just check the pump make sure there's no power to it with the voltmeter. You then disconnect one of the wires to the pump set the meter on Resistance mode and then see if there's any resistance in the motor of the pump. If none then the motor is probably not working. The reason that you still have lights etc when the breaker is turned on is because that is only used when on shore power 120V. The house battery powers everything else in the coach that uses 12 volts. This includes lights, fans, water pump etc.

11 hours ago, mattrblack50@gmail.com said:

You should take the meter and check for voltage on the wires that connect to the pump. The pump has to be turned on of course. If you want to just check the pump make sure there's no power to it with the voltmeter. You then disconnect one of the wires to the pump set the meter on Resistance mode and then see if there's any resistance in the motor of the pump. If none then the motor is probably not working. The reason that you still have lights etc when the breaker is turned on is because that is only used when on shore power 120V. The house battery powers everything else in the coach that uses 12 volts. This includes lights, fans, water pump etc.

For testing the pump only you say to make sure there is no power going to it and disconnect one of the wires to the pump and set the meter on resistance mode and then see if there's resistance in the motor of the pump.  My voltmeter looks like this.  How do I set this to resistance mode?

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.47.05 AM.png

Edited by Dolphin79

So I guess I don't understand why the fuses are good, but when I tested the wires nothing happened.  I tried looking behind at the wires with a flashlight and it looks like the wires coming from the pump are all going to the right spot on the fuse box.  I just don't get it.

If the fuses are testing ok then it must be between the fusebox and switch or switch and pump. I would check for voltage at the switch to chassis ground next. If 12v is there then keep chasing down to the pump. You can also disconnect the battery and test for continuity on the positive wire to ground to see if there is a short.

You mean the 15 amp switch? Can I do that with my voltmeter? I guess I need to take the switch out.  I hope that isn't too hard.  I'll try this in the morning.  Thanks.

Edited by Dolphin79

Your 'Converter/Control Center' is divided into 2 sections.

The left side is for 110v AC only for when you're plugged in. I've no idea why the label a '15A fuse', because those are actually 'Circuit Breakers'. The breakers protect the 110v wiring to the outlets, air conditioner and fridge when on 110v.

The right side is for everything 12v DC. Lights, water pump, etc.

Without drinking a lot of coffee yet, I'm going to GUESS.

- For your pump, a (yellow?) power (+) wire goes from one of the fuses in the converter to the switch in your 'Monitor Panel and then a (yellow?) wire to the pump.

- To complete the circuit. a white ground (-) wire is used.

image.png.70d7c47b93d961972f9bd979e0ca1d28.png

image.png.d5b021b634fd7dbb7a4b5fbbe7a2b8a1.png

3 hours ago, Derek up North said:

This is a drawing of your pump. You'll see that ShurFlo uses the more 'conventional' wire color code of 'Red = power (+)' and 'Black = Ground (-)'.

image.png.d9970aa7dc3597aac659b45bdce8a83e.png

Yep.  Thanks a ton.  I'm not going to bother checking the 15 amp switch with my voltmeter because when I flip it to the on position the lights on the ceiling come on and the fan works so it can't be the 15 a switch making the water pump not work.  I guess it's the wiring going from there to the pump or the pump is just bad.  I'm just trying to figure this out before I buy a new pump.  And when I tested those wires that are going to the water pump (took the yellow caps off) yesterday with the voltmeter, nothing happened. 

mattrblack50@gmail.com - For testing the pump only you say to make sure there is no power going to it and disconnect one of the wires to the pump and set the meter on resistance mode and then see if there's resistance in the motor of the pump.  My voltmeter looks like this.  How do I set this to resistance mode?1249018437_ScreenShot2020-06-25at9_47_05AM.png.a21b699d5303ff1494409d7dd18c0d43.png

Ohhhh You mean put the batter in the RV and touch the wires to it!!! Hahahah! I get it.

358048461_ScreenShot2020-06-25at10_17_38AM.png.aa740eb12cff05c6597744e3c2c762d3.png2017124068_ScreenShot2020-06-25at10_19_34AM.png.dc42de34e96ce1bbea927a17eba0652b.png

Edited by Dolphin79

Yay!!! Just hooked it up to the battery and the water pump works!  My toilet started leaking though because I didn't hook it back up right when I took the toilet out to do the floors.  Hahaahah!!!! So much fun 😄  🙂

I'm going to test the back of the panel switch to the water pump now.  I'm hoping it's just a bad switch.

Well....when I took the panel off the wall and had it hanging there, here is what I did.  I'm an idiot so I tried to connect the 12V battery to the positive and negative wires that go to the water pump on/off switch.  That created a spark immediately on the battery terminal.  So I quit doing that, and just connected the deep cycle battery back where it goes in the cab pocket area.  All the sudden I hear water gushing out of the toilet so I turn off the water pump. 

So now the water pump is working! Yay!

So maybe there was a short in the wire, the switch is bad, or one of the wires wasn't making contact to complete the circuit.  I will go back and check the wires in the control panel as soon as I solve my toilet issue.  I started another "Topic" or "Thread" on that.  Once I get the toilet to stop gushing water I can go back and test the wires in the control panel 😄 

Thanks for all your help guys!

Edited by Dolphin79

1 hour ago, Dolphin79 said:

... one of the wires wasn't making contact to complete the circuit.

That sounds about right. When your leak is fixed, go back and wiggle/tug the wires and see if you can get the pump to stop again. That should lead you to your problem.

BTW, I just moved your 'Leaking Toilet' Thread out of 'Electrical'. :)

Oh! Thank you.  Sorry about that. 

So I got some new connector ends and put them on the wires that connect to the switch on the control panel and the pump wouldn't work (didn't make noise).  So I hooked up the 12V battery directly to the pump like I did this morning.  The pump still wouldn't come on or make noise (but it worked this morning/made noise). 

I sat there confused for a couple minutes and all the sudden the pump began running for a about two seconds and then shut off.  Then I began draining some water out of the tank from the side thing that's outside.  The pump came back on while I was doing that.  When I closed it so water wouldn't drain the pump would shut off.  When I would open it the pump would start running. Then when I went inside and turned on the water at the sink it did not come on.  It never came back on.  It's weird. By the way when I say the pump stopped working I mean stopped making noise.  So I'm not sure if it's still working when it isn't making noise 😄 

I'm now wondering if the pump motor is going bad, or is it supposed to just come on and off intermittently like that? That's not normal is it?

Edited by Dolphin79

No that is what it is supposed to do it has a pressure switch in the pump when the pressure is high enough it shuts off the pump. If it cycles frequently there maybe a water leak somewhere. Water does not compress it needs some air in the lines if you connect to the outside water you'll need to turn the pump off. It actually helps to turn the pump off and let the water run until it stops occasionally this allows a bit of air to get into the system. 

If you have someone in your town that has a camper (MH or pull behind) and you kindly ask them if they might could help you figure out some of the problems, they might help you and not charge (FREE)  and not  what a professionally technician would want.  But the people on here are very helpful  and can solve most of the problems that arise. 

Sorry I haven't been on here in a bit. Glad you figured out the problem with the pump. Usually something easy but not always. I think I'd choose electrical over some of the other structural issues I've had with my warrior honestly. Water damage is a lot more work.