Sunrader cabover side panel attachment

Does anyone have suggestions on how the two side panels in the Sunrader cabover attach?
There was a lot of rot in there when I pulled everything off and out, and it was hard to make sense of how it was put together.
I am guessing there were some wood strips attached to the shell that we can screw into, but I'm guessing.
Thanks.

Thanks Derek.
I see that there are two screws - now rotted - that come through from the outside.... and I am wondering if that was something that was used to tie strips on to the shell?

Thank you. Moreso, I am wondering where the strips were originally placed?
Is there just one that runs the length? Or, like I did with the other walls, just a mish mash willy nilly here and there?

Another question regarding the side panels, please.

There is a brown rubber fringe that sits around the outside of the panels.

Does anyone have a photo showing what these panels look like finished?
I have the rubber fringe, and the pieces that fit the top curving around the plexi windows at the front are all good... I know where they go.
But I have other pieces of the fringe and I don't know where they go.
Does the bottom of the panel get some, too?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks Derek. But my original question for any Sunrader owners out there is: what does the final panel look like [a photo maybe?]
I have plenty of 'edge trim.' I would just like to know where the trim was originally located on the panel.

Mine is white and went all the way around the outside of my side panels. Like yours but along the top also.   My panels are rotted at the bottom so I have make more.  I don't know if I can get away with out the trim or not.  I think at the top it would help cover the joint as I think that is going to be a pain to get a good looking seam with out it. And as others have said that plastic will stop squeaks from wood on wood.

I just noticed that your panel is upside down in the picture.  So, mine is like yours but white.

Edited by jetalkington

Thank you.

I blindly went ahead and screwed and glued strips to the shell that I can then attach the side wall panels to.

All seems good.
I put the rubber edge trim back on. As best as I can tell, the trim goes all along the top and then inside the opening for the plexi windows.
In old photos I dug up I can see that there was no rubber trim on the bottom of those panels. There was a carpet trim that held the panels against the wall at the bottom.

I have removed all of the carpet so I will probably have to just create some trim strip for the gap at the bottom.

I have been holding off on finishing this bed area because I have had a small leak in one of the plexi windows. I pulled the gasket off again and cleaned it all up before reattaching.

Fingers crossed it stopped that leak. Supposed to rain this week so we will see... :)
Now I need to figure out what we will do on that front wall. Kooky shape and contour so we may have to bite the bullet and get it professionally fitted for some sort of faux leather.

IMG_4702.jpg

You seem pretty handy with the wood.  I have been looking at Pole wrap.  I used in an egg camper I remodeled. It had a curved ceiling front and rear and I didn't want to put back carpet. So I used pole wrap in reverse and screwed it to blocks I glued to the ceiling.    

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pole-Wrap-96-in-x-16-in-Oak-Basement-Column-Cover-85168/100312481?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-100395916-_-100312481-_-N

You can see it in the back of this picture in the center of the ceiling.  It takes shapes pretty well. This trailer was a total gut job. The wrap is oak strips like an old accordion desk.

KIMG0044 (Small).JPG

Nice idea.
I guess the only concern is wanting it to stick with the ability to still access behind just in case....
Are you thinking of putting this in that front space on your Sunrader?

Edited by canadasunrader
ideas

I glued 3/4 wood strips to the ceiling and then used trim screws to hold the ceiling "panel"  If you do this then you can remove it.  Short dry wall screws would work also.  This is what I am leaning on but I am just getting started on my inside.   I am concerned about leaks around those windows as well. What I am working on is trimming out the windows with 17 mm- 3/4 wood strips about 6-7 mm away from the gasket/seal. I want to create a shadow box effect with room to work on the seal, if need be.  I have already painted the fiberglass black around the windows.  I am planning to paint the wood black, before I install it. Then I will use the wood strips to fasten my panels to.  I am insulating my whole camper so I will have some support behind the panels with the insulation. I am planning the pole wrap for the front area. Just not sure if I am going to paint it or stain it.  I really like the look of your ceiling.

Thanks Jim.
I, too, am a big fan of the trim head screws.
Sometimes they are hard to find in shorter lengths but I love them and much preferred to brad or nails. Mostly because I know myself too well, and I like to be able to go back a few steps when something hasn't worked. I already had to take down a few rows of my ceiling because the wire I set in there for one of the fans was caught on something...
My concern around those front windows is putting something there that not only looks good, but will be easy to wipe down. And I am concerned about putting wood there as wet wood is no fun. Perhaps if you paint it it will work.
I think we may just draw out the pattern with pattern paper and make a faux leather cover for the wall with a thin layer of insulation behind and be done with it.
These are small worries right now in the big world, and I am so lucky and happy to have these little things to take up my time.

• 3 years later...

Hi This an old post, but if anyone is still listening, my question is: how structural are these side panels? Do they add strength or rigidity to the cabover? Can I replace them with minimal framing and insulation?

Thanks.

They are not structural at all.  The cabover is an extremely stout structure and these side panels are purely cosmetic.  Consider adding a power outlet for phone charging near you while sleeping, etc since you have the area open and are replacing the panel.  

Idahodoug Thanks for the reply and the suggestions. It's great to get the benefit of other's experience. I can now move forward with more confidence. I expect to leak issues with some of the screws from the trim strip. Both side windows are currently NOT leaking so I am being careful not to mess that up.

Should it prove useful, I made some similar panels for our VW Vanagon a few years ago.  At Home Depot they sell 4X8 sheets of this fiberboard a little thicker than what's in our Sunrader's for side panels you are working on.  It came in an indoor grade and a water resistant grade.  I used the latter and found it easy to cut and work with.  It also took paint nicely and blended in well with the rest of the interior - looked factoryish.  It will accept a staple and will also do an OK job of holding a screw.

@IdahoDoug another question on the structure of the cabover :) do the cabover ceiling panels contribute to the structure at all, or are they also not a factor? guessing not because I know ours was once carpeted there, but not sure if there was any structure or something underneath the carpet that is critical?

previous owner put in some thicker wood panels that eat up precious space and I dream of altering… they told me it was once carpeted on the entire ceiling, so is the ceiling contributing to no structural support throughout?

I doubt anything up there is structural. Mine has a cloth covering with foam backing that goes the whole length of the interior ceiling. It appears to be glued on. Provides a surprising amount of insulation.

IdahoDoug Thanks again. I will look for the fiberboard.

No trim or covering in the cabover contributes to its structural strength.  Good luck finding panels.  Use 3m automotive grade adhesive / contact cement or other if you cover the new part with padded vinyl or cloth.  Lesser glues not designed for the heat of a vehicle closed  up on a hot day will let go. Key is auto grade.  Send pics when done!

Edited by IdahoDoug