Cost for mechanic to install Shocks for 1985 Toyota Dolphin

Hi There! Had some really scary sway while on maiden voyage so trying to get her more reliable. Also the back is hanging really low. Took her to a nearby mechanic in NC and presented my thoughts for making more stable gleaned for Toyo forums. They recommended starting with the shocks and new tires. They quoted $500 for the rear shocks and $1000 for the front shocks, $500 for tires. I went to several mechanics before who told me they didn't have the capability to lift her up, so I am limited as to mechanic, though I would look further afield if prices seem way high. I am not able to do it myself, it sounds like a lot of people on here are mechanically able, me not at all. Does this sound reasonable? Should I ask them what kind of shocks and try to get a certain kind, like Bielsens? My Toyo has relatively low mileage and runs well even though I haven't had the time to take here anywhere lately except short rides. The RV part is Ok, but needs a lot of work and I'm not sure if I can afford her if just this part is already so much, so wanted to get some feedback. Thank you!

26 minutes ago, Bob B said:

Hi There! Had some really scary sway while on maiden voyage so trying to get her more reliable. Also the back is hanging really low. Took her to a nearby mechanic in NC and presented my thoughts for making more stable gleaned for Toyo forums. They recommended starting with the shocks and new tires. They quoted $500 for the rear shocks and $1000 for the front shocks, $500 for tires. I went to several mechanics before who told me they didn't have the capability to lift her up, so I am limited as to mechanic, though I would look further afield if prices seem way high. I am not able to do it myself, it sounds like a lot of people on here are mechanically able, me not at all. Does this sound reasonable? Should I ask them what kind of shocks and try to get a certain kind, like Bielsens? My Toyo has relatively low mileage and runs well even though I haven't had the time to take here anywhere lately except short rides. The RV part is Ok, but needs a lot of work and I'm not sure if I can afford her if just this part is already so much, so wanted to get some feedback. Thank you!

well for reference, my Bilsteins were $80 each and can be swapped in about 30 minutes with a simple jack and jack stand. 

I have found to find a mechanic, mobile or otherwise,  a good way is to go to the local NAPA store and ask for a reference.  They know who the good guys are and who does what.   Don't go in when there are people at the counter,  if one of them is a mechanic you will put the clerk in a bad spot! 

1500 bucks for shocks is nuts. Absolutely don't ever go back there. Any shop that can lift a regular full sized truck has the capacity to lift your rig and I'm pretty sure that's all shops. Make sure you get the right tires. 185R14 D load tires. Nothing else will do and if anyone says different drive away. 

Linda S

There's got to be a truck shop somewhere near you. Weight of your rig would be no problem. Get lots of estimates

Sometimes a limiting factor for a shop is the height of their doors or ceiling height. As soon as they hear RV, they probably automatically say 'No' without realizing you're not a Class A monster. Maybe if you ask if they can handle a pickup with a slide-in camper? :)

Thank you all for advice, I will try suggestions and hopefully keep my rig!

I will just second what others have said: rear shock replacement is cost-of-two-shocks plus 1-hour labor, tops (front shocks would be very similar). Tire prices vary but will be in the range of $500-700 for all new rubber plus mount/balance charge for each wheel. 

It's probably worth mentioning that none of the above will lift a badly sagging rear end; that's going to involve new leaf spring packs or a set of (working) air bags. 

Edited by Ctgriffi

Thanks for replying. Now wondering if I should have the air bags checked before the shocks replaced, because maybe it's not the shocks, the expensive mechanic is the one who said to start with them. The person I bought from said he had the air bags checked or worked on before I bought and I think I have a receipt somewhere for that, but the mechanic who did that is in another state. So is getting the air bags checked the place to start? Is a truck mechanic the best person to check that out or any mechanic can do that? If it's still swaying a lot and it's not the air bags anymore and the back is lifted to proper level, what are next parts to have checked or replaced? The problem with the scary swaying was in open areas when large semis passed us on the highway. Thanks again!

Find the valve for the air bags, let all the air out and measure the rear bumper. Put 80 psi in the bags and measure the rear bumper. If the bumper comes up and the rear is level then your air bags are OK. If they bleed down over a few days the problem is likely air hose/fittings leaking. Soapy water will help find the leak.

Sway problems can be caused by many things. Worn rear leaf springs bushings, worn shocks, no rear sway bar.

Start with air bags, shocks. With what the labor is for the spring bushings you should think hard about new springs if you do the bushings. A sway bar is down the list, there are many Toy MHs that came from the factory with out a rear sway bar.

bad front shocks alone will cause  very bad control problems . my dolphin had 67000 miles but the front  shocks were totally shot . the prices they gave you sound like for a big class a.