Water Pump squealing  noises? When I rev it up to 3000 rpm or sometimes before it shifts into 3 rd gear it squeals but not always. Wondering if anyone tips on when to change to do?

I just drove back 2700 miles with no trouble but now that I am home I am trying to find things to fix. Bored eh!

• 2 weeks later...

water pump is that a 22re or 22r when those water pumps squeal my experance has been begin too leack. then they will freze up I mean up solid.  I have over the years had 2 lock up solid. also wiggle the fan check for slop . if lose replace very soon.

22re with 130,000 miles on it. Doubt it has been replaced  i have owned it for 2.5 years and put on 15,000 with no problems so far

The alternator belt on a 22RE had to be bow string tight or it will squeal even with a new belt. Time to check them all replace as needed.

Water pumps are easy to change on that engine and not very expensive. If you’re looking for something to stay busy with, that will make a good project.

Biggest problem with the 20R and 22R with that type of mileage is the crank oil seal. It starts as a small oil leak by the crank pulley but can fail immediately there after, dumping  oil like a gusher. Again, the seal is not expensive but much more labor intensive.

Edited by fred heath

The 22RE were not exempt either. The oil pump is driven off the very end of the crank just behind the seal. If you don't replace the sealing ring for the pump it will leak again.

No I have not yet checked the belts. I am not driving the rig much these days due to lockdown here in Quebec but I will check them for sure. Thanks to all for your feedback and tips. I also heard adding some belt dressing to belts might help but i do see a small leak down there but I just drove it back from arizona a month ago 2700 miles and it only took an extra spoon of oil. so its aint much for sure. but I like to keep it well maintained.