Shower drain pipe causing flood underneath shower pan

pachudzik

After very little searching I found the source of my plumbing leak, but am confused about how I should fix it...

'91 Warrior

Underneath the shower pan I can see two drain pipes descending into the grey water tank, one presumably from the kitchen sink and the other to drain the shower pan. When running the sink, I can hear water draining into the grey water tank no problem; however, when I run the shower about 100% of the water going down the drain (and down the pipe connected to it) comes up around the outside of the drain pipes, flooding from the square cut-out in the floor that pipes pass through to the grey water tank.

Grey water tank is nearly empty, so I don't believe that is the culprit. The shower pan drains completely, and the other drain pipe for the sink works well. 

Does anyone know how these drain pipes connect to the grey water tank? i.e. is the connection threaded, glued, compression fitting, passive v. check valve?

Seems like I have to drop the grey water tank, in any case. 

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

The waste tank inlet seals are rubber grommets that allow you to remove the tank for service. Seal by compression. 3 inches for toilet 

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/RubberGrommetInletGrommet3

and 1 1/2 for sink and I believe shower

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/RubberGrommetInlet1-12

Yours might still be fine but I do think the only way to get to your problem is to remove the tank. This same site has tons of other plumbing parts 

Linda S

Maineah, I was looking at it all wrong; As you point out the pipes I was referring to are actually just the one pipe which is the P-trap (the loop is not visible as it goes below the floor, making it look like two pipes), and sure is cracked. I'm guessing it froze.

Now, once I fix it I can make sure to leave anti-freeze in it to prevent future cracking, are use some other method to replace the P-trap. Do I even need a P-trap? Has anyone tried these inline one way flow attachments, such as the ones sold by Hepvo?

Does not look like I have to drop the tank after all, but now I know that the connections to it are grommeted so thanks for that info, Linda. 

Yes Antifreeze all the drains dumping antifreeze in pushes the water into the tank (no harm). I'm not sure how you are going to address the "P" trap without dropping the tank but at least it's not glued in. It was installed with the shower floor pan pushed into the tank fitting under the pan you'll find a big nut holding it in place to the floor pan. A "p" trap is fine there really is no need to reinvent the wheel it just needs to be protected from freezing. I have a method of winterizing my camper that involves air and a pump pickup but I still have to dump some antifreeze in the traps every year.

Ok. I snipped out the P-trap with a PVC cutter and by squeezing my arms through the service opening under the shower. By snipping off the broken portion chunks at a time I was able to remove the slip joints completely, otherwise there was no vertical space to remove in one piece. It was cracked and very brittle. 

I found a rubber P-trap at home depot, two hose clamps and donzo! 

• 2 years later...