Adding a USB/12 volt outlet

LittleShack

I'm wanting to add a couple of the usb/12 volt cigarette type outlets to the RV. I have watched a ton of videos on different ways to add them and think the simplest is tying them into the wiring for the 12 volt lights under the cabinets.  What is the general opinion on this way? I also have a very long wire that goes to a cigarette lighter outlet from the DC power fuses.  A previous owner installed it and it does work, but I am a little leary of the long wire so would like to install another of the usb/12volt outlets on the wire and install it close to the electrical panel. As I'm looking at the panel, and seeing a bunch of unoccupied fuse 'slots'. I'm wondering if it would be better to add a new fuse, if that is even possible to connect the outlet to, instead of the way the previous owner connected it which it to the same circuit as the furnace. Not sure how I would do this-adding a new fuse. Anyone??

I've attached a photo of the DC fuses with the yellow arrows showing the black wires that connect the cigarette lighter outlet. The one on the left connects to the furnace fuse. You can see the empty fuse 'slots'

IMG_6713.JPG

If you splice a cabinet light the 12v/USB will work. but your limited to 1amp or so.  If you plan on further up grades, change the converter to a modern one OR change the fuse board.
http://www.bestconverter.com/Magnetek-Fuse-Board_p_108.html

The battery on my '89 Dolphin sits, for all practical purposes, right under the rear dinette seat.  It's in it's own box but accessing it is quite easy from the inside, so I just spliced into the main + wire and a ground (that was harder to find because wood cabinets), but I found it.

Then I bought this thing, and also this thing, and then some of this stuff , wired it using some electrical supplies (spades, connectors) and (I can't emphasize this enough), because I don't know what I'm doing half the time, I wired it in the only way I know will work, which is in parallel.  You can watch YouTube videos on how to do this or simply google "parallel wiring diagram" for some examples.  I really don't know the pros and cons of wiring parallel v. series.  

I then cut a hole and installed it on the front panel of the rearmost dinette seat (the space under your knees).  

I have two USB's, a 12V outlet (I can plug USB Adapter into it), and a voltmeter all in one shot.  Works perfectly, I didn't get hurt, and it has not caught on fire so I think I did a fine job.

I hope this information helps.