These are apparently what the USPS fits to the little Grumman LLV trucks (which will all be out of service in 2024).

Looks promising at first glance. However, the specs show otherwise:-

Size:- LT195/75R14 Load Range C (6-ply)

Capacity:- 1435lb (Single), 1325lb (Dual) @50psi Max

For comparison:-

Size:- 185R14 Load Range C (6-ply)

Capacity:- 1600lb (Single), 1525lb (Dual) @ 50psi Max

Size:- 185R14 Load Range D (8-ply)

Capacity:- 1875lb (Single), 1710lb (Dual) @ 65psi Max

Prices? Not cheap!

image.png.88350e32f14991206ea214974b2f4e83.png

The ONLY advantage I see to paying a high price for these is a more aggressive tread at the expense of a much lower carrying capacity. Good for Chinooks and Bandits who want to venture a bit further off the paved roads perhaps?

Oh, but they are, apparently, Made in USA. I guess that might be why the Gov't uses them. I wouldn't be surprised if production stops once the USPS stops buying, if not sooner. Unless production is moved overseas. :)

image.png

Good find! Definitely another option which is good when we have so few options. If anyone is going for a more aggressive tread, I would argue these are the way to go.

https://simpletire.com/specialty-tires-of-america-e7814lt-lb3a5-tires

I have them on my rader for a week now (thanks to soneones suggestion on here) and am seriously impressed. Mostly with the 4 ply side walls and bias ply build. This adds a lot of rigidity to the side walls which has made a HUGE difference in stability. 

I do have to say, they probably hurt me slightly on fuel economy and a little noise, as expected with a tread like this. Also after sitting for even an hour they will get flat spots so you get a lot of vibrations for the first few miles of driving.

Before replacing my tires, I had 195/70r14 tires on the front. I actually happened to measure the width difference under load where the bulge out and it was right around 3/4" but were slightly under inflated. It would be very close to rubbing with the duallys if they are not kept at 60 psi and your rig is heavy. If your rig is light it may be a non issue.

The '195' designation is only a nominal section width of 195mm. The actual (measured) section width can vary between manufacturers and tire models and also with load and inflation pressure. I'm afraid anything other than the 185R14 tires specified by Toyota will require a test fit and crossing your fingers while you measure.

These are Load Range C/6-ply, so a 50psi maximum inflation pressure. Their section width compared to 195/70R14 passenger tires would have to be measured.

We had a member here who invited me to see his Sunrader. Big freaking tires on it. 27x8.5r14. I warned him they were too wide but when I looked they were close but no where near touching. I explained that on the road hitting bumps they could make contact. As far as I know he is still running those tires so I wouldn't be the least concerned about a 195 tire. In fact I'm pretty sure a 205 will still fit nicely. 

Linda S