Suburban DD-17DSI Furnace

Hello,

I ran the furnace in our 1992 Itasca Spirit, during the evening. Shut it 

down for the night, plugged into shore power, the fan would not start in the morning. 

Swapped out the fuse and jumped the thermostat, still no fan or even a click.

I'm not able to find the shutoff switch that some posts and trouble shooting procedures

refer to although I can find the part available from a supplier. Is the shutoff switch a reset?

I suspect the relay switch could  possibly be the problem but I'm unable to find a source for a replacement..

I would want to replace that before I moved on to the motor and board.

Any suggestions, help with the  location of the shutoff and a source for the relay would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

4 hours ago, brucerhahn said:

Hello,

I ran the furnace in our 1992 Itasca Spirit, during the evening. Shut it 

down for the night, plugged into shore power, the fan would not start in the morning. 

Swapped out the fuse and jumped the thermostat, still no fan or even a click.

I'm not able to find the shutoff switch that some posts and trouble shooting procedures

refer to although I can find the part available from a supplier. Is the shutoff switch a reset?

I suspect the relay switch could  possibly be the problem but I'm unable to find a source for a replacement..

I would want to replace that before I moved on to the motor and board.

Any suggestions, help with the  location of the shutoff and a source for the relay would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

My suburban has a rocker (on/off) switch on the rear of the unit. It’s located on the upper rear right side. Mine is a suburban SF42fq. Not sure what you have, but look for a switch on the rear of the unit.

My old furnace (not suburban) had a circuit breaker for the fan motor . Look inside for a small black button with the #5 on it. Maybe different with your unit, but worth a look.

I think I'd have to pull out the furnace to tell if there's power to it.

not quite there yet. I'd like to find a relay first.

I did bypass the thermostat, it's the old analog type so should have 

also bypassed the on/off switch if there is one. I was expecting a

a click or something from the relay or hopefully get the fan to kick on by doing that???

Thanks Linda

I'm going with the small metal switch lever on the "T" stat. Before anything else happens the fan should run it will not if the switch is off or there is no power to the unit. The thermostat itself is nothing more than a switch it's either on or off you can try removing the thermostat and twisting the wire together that should immediately start the fan.

Most furnaces the power feeds directly to the circuit board. They’re usually encased in a protective cover, so you may have to look for it. If you’re getting 12V to the board, it may be a bad board.

Dinosaur makes a great replacement board. You can cross reference your furnace model on the Dinosaur site. They’ll tell you which board you need. I have a new UIB-L board in my storeroom. If it fits, it’s yours for postage.

Nice offer Fred, thank you!  But from what I can tell the replacement board for this unit is the UIB S.

I'd like to eliminate the relay switch as the source of the problem before replacing the board but so far

unable to find a source for one.

The motors with age tend to dry out the bearing lube and won't start but the bottom line you do need voltage to the board before anything happens. More often than not the fan will run but not go into the firing cycle if there is a board issue or the fan turning too slow. First things first the fan has to run. If it is a board Fred is right the dinosaur boards can not be beat. Dinosaur's website has a photo gallery all you need to do is match yours to the posted pictures.

My 94 Warrior has the same model furnace.  It quit dead this year.  I found that there was a blown glass buss fuse 4A in the red feed wire.  This was right at the furnace on the left side.  Have a look.  Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Suburban dd-17dsi update.

I found and replaced the blown inline fuse (thank you Bob). Also found

the relay to be defective which possibly blew the fuse. Looking for a replacement

for the relay.

Thanks All.

bruce