I finally found a Toyota Sunrader 1984

tropicstar

I just bought this 1984 Sunrader 21 foot

Land Yacht rear dinette model 4 speed manual transmission  with 22R 4 cylinder engine. 

lots of searching but it paid off  i paid $3,000

stored inside barn last 10 years. 128,000 miles

needs a little tlc on interior.

thank you all for all of your tips. i found on craigslist in Oregon.

let the fun begin

20190912_135702.jpg

20190912_135715.jpg

20190912_143221.jpg

20190912_143242.jpg

A lot of folks are gunna be real jealous! You could turn around and sell it for 3Xs that amount! Welcome and Good Luck!

On 9/16/2019 at 2:16 PM, markwilliam1 said:

A lot of folks are gunna be real jealous! You could turn around and sell it for 3Xs that amount! Welcome and Good Luck!

thank you Mark Willam1

I have no plans for resale. the price is reflective of weeks and hours of combing random searches on craigslist and lots of emails with inquiries and follow ups. it was held for me on a good word from june till September by a gentleman's agreement. the way things used to work. it will be barn stored a few more months then normal services and repairs for making sure its road ready for many road trip miles. this price and value was needed as I wish to do lots of replacements and upgrades. 6 new tires,  4 new bilstein shocks, new springs, rear air bags, engine will receive a weber carberator for now but in the future the engine upgrade will be a Japanese export Toyota 3.0 liter turbo deisel 4 cylinder engine with a 5 speed manual transmission upgrade,K and N air filter. new batteries including extra marine deep cycle batteries for additional battery bank for extended boondock travel, 4- 100 watt lightweight 4lb solar panel with 30 amp controllers. inverter, new radiator, all fluids changed, all new belts and hoses, plugs and wires, all new brakes, new wheel bearings, front end bushings replaced with check and service for all front end component parts. full service check for RV with checkup service for all appliances to make sure all working properly with no leaks. new toilet. a new facing for all doors and cabinets.all new fabric and foam for all cushions, new head liner. fridge works great. but all else will be serviced and checked. cushions are ok but new fresh look with new foam will be better.

later on she will have all wall panels and cabinets removed 2 inches of spray foam in walls and ceiling for better installation for tropical climates. all new wall panels headliners and all new lightweight cabinets will be installed. all new wood look flooring will be installed.  with fantastic fans for vents, port light window for bathroom, a teak slat bench with piano hinge over toilet area of bathroom for a seated shower or lifted and pinned when not needed. and roof ac and generator. a full lightweight aluminum full raised roof area luggage rack with aluminum sheet floor with attached mounting for side awning. this will be a roof sun deck as well as provide additional insulation for roof to reflected tropical heat.

rear of camper will have a full camper height and width custom sliding glass door for panoramic rear views and rear entry and exit access with a lightweight custom aluminum lifting tailgate that when parked and down will be a 7 ft x 7ft rear deck. protecting the sliding glass door when RV is moving. this design was on open road campers of 60s and 70s vintage.

so as you see I will be spending alot. figuring my finished RV will come in around the price of high priced original ones with my upgrades for more convenience.  she will be for fulltime Traveling when I am not sailing for work and pleasure. Most work will be done where labor is cheaper and alot more affordable. their will be alot of influence to lightest weight possible in all upgrades. 

I have been a toyota owner of many years because of toyota's dependability and reliability. so rather than buy new I wanted a toyota with upgrades.

cheers and happy trails to all!

I have been following a complete total teardown & upgrade rebuild of a Toyota 4x4 Odyssey  on Youtube channel Oddcouple4x4 out of Florida. You may want to check out as it is very thorough & quality. I am so happy you found your dream. Can't wait to follow your build. Please keep us posted.

Edited by LAYTON1550
grammar

Thank you Layton1550,

I appreciate your encouragement, and information of other restorations and rebuilds, I live my life for adventure and what other people share. it makes travels much more enjoyable.

20190906_064308.jpg

• 10 months later...

Tropicstar, 

What a list of upgrades, super inspiring and very ambitious. It's been almost a year since your post, I'm curious how much you've accomplished since, how much you've spent on revamps, and how much more to go, if you care to share. How much of it do you do yourself vs hire out?

I just bought my first toy home, 1985 Dolphin with 68k original miles on a 22r-e engine, auto... Around same price as yours. Drives great.. could do better mpg-wise (simple math and guesswork told me im getting some range of 15-17mpg).

Looking to renovate interior (though significantly more minimalistically than your plans--unless hyperambition, superluck and true-friend-help kick in) and keep my expenses under a total of 10k, including price of the Dolphin. Ideally well-under 10k. I should mention, I'm absolutely new to every single thing about this.

Take good care.

YK