Screws and Bolts 101

AmyDC

Hi All,

I have a confession... no matter how hard I try, I can never remember the difference between all the many kinds of screws and bolts (and washer and nut sizes, etc - not to mention trying to convert SAE to metric/and vice versa). I like to think I do until I walk into THAT row at the hardware store and my mind goes blank and I get completely overwhelmed. I'm sure most of you don't have this problem, but on the off chance that someone here does, I thought I'd share an awesome resource I found that makes things a little easier for me.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Printable-Tools/Default.aspx

They have a section on their website where they simplify things down in layman's term - in convenient PDFs.  See attached screenshot for an example of what I mean. I don't have any relationship with this company, nothing in it for me - just thought I'd share a good free educational resource that helps me out.

:)

2019-08-29_1624.png

I think my house (not Toyhouse) has a couple of those serrated head bolts.

• 5 months later...

There are kreg screws, and very small hex cap screws inside and outside. Has anyone figured out the best way to remove them ?  Suggestions greatly appreciated. Making moves on my interior

9B169BBB-805A-49FE-AD86-EFF2C1C476E0.jpeg

2E7F202B-1681-497C-9A5A-1C4C6F2EE057.jpeg

CFCF68BC-B123-4A37-BB9F-77AC5C5C2EBA.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sandune24 said:

There are kreg screws, and very small hex cap screws inside and outside. Has anyone figured out the best way to remove them ?  Suggestions greatly appreciated. Making moves on my interior

9B169BBB-805A-49FE-AD86-EFF2C1C476E0.jpeg

2E7F202B-1681-497C-9A5A-1C4C6F2EE057.jpeg

CFCF68BC-B123-4A37-BB9F-77AC5C5C2EBA.jpeg

Im confused by your issue, why dont you just use a square drive size 2 drill bit to remove these? My interior was riddled with them before I remodeled, think theyre almost all gone now. Square drives are actually quite nice because they have alot more gripping power on the bit compared to phillips or cross recessed.

Everything goes back together with Torx bolts and screws

Thank you for your responses, I went today and picked up the #2 square bit. I was able to remove 4 and still have 3 to go. I think I am going to try the Dremel as suggested. Today, I was able to remove the bottom of the bunk, getting down to the insulation. 

Thank you again😊

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I hope that everyone is safe and healthy ♥️

So, my progress on the over head cab is going good . I have a few questions though (of course lol), there are big spacings between the floor bed of cab and the screws have nothing to screw to. What do I put in the spaces, I have new screws, I have the wood to support the frame? In the front piece there are screws in the aluminum frame, that I believe I will have to remove and re- attach to new wood. How do I get that part out ? Thanking you in advance 🙏

74F56002-8EB9-4845-83BC-DF078667C03D.jpeg

DFC1C113-13F1-4B3A-9790-B8D1F78A16E0.jpeg

0E8CE807-C223-4D27-BE11-15BFC35BC098.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sandune24 said:

Hi all, I hope that everyone is safe and healthy ♥️

So, my progress on the over head cab is going good . I have a few questions though (of course lol), there are big spacings between the floor bed of cab and the screws have nothing to screw to. What do I put in the spaces, I have new screws, I have the wood to support the frame? In the front piece there are screws in the aluminum frame, that I believe I will have to remove and re- attach to new wood. How do I get that part out ? Thanking you in advance 🙏

74F56002-8EB9-4845-83BC-DF078667C03D.jpeg

DFC1C113-13F1-4B3A-9790-B8D1F78A16E0.jpeg

0E8CE807-C223-4D27-BE11-15BFC35BC098.jpeg

Im not sure exactly what youre asking, but basically when i re did mine (recently, with metal tube frame just like yours) we just filled the big open space (1" deep voids in between the square tubes) with 1" thick pink insulation. All the weight of the bed up there needs to be transmitted directly to the square metal tubes only and nothing else. so the space between the bed and the metal exterior is just void you can insulate. What we did was basically get a nice thick sheet of 3/4" sanded plywood from home depot, and had it cut to the exact dimensions, then after i secured it to my metal tube frame using self tapping screws (screws meant to pierce metal). If you want and have the ability you can also cut out a removable portion so you can access the front 2 seats easier. 

IMG-1079-min.jpg

59813476809--76ABE288-C5FB-4C17-B126-0FB4F0247BA0-min.JPG

IMG-1078-min.jpg

16 hours ago, Grime_Divine said:

Im not sure exactly what youre asking, but basically when i re did mine (recently, with metal tube frame just like yours) we just filled the big open space (1" deep voids in between the square tubes) with 1" thick pink insulation. All the weight of the bed up there needs to be transmitted directly to the square metal tubes only and nothing else. so the space between the bed and the metal exterior is just void you can insulate. What we did was basically get a nice thick sheet of 3/4" sanded plywood from home depot, and had it cut to the exact dimensions, then after i secured it to my metal tube frame using self tapping screws (screws meant to pierce metal). If you want and have the ability you can also cut out a removable portion so you can access the front 2 seats easier. 

IMG-1079-min.jpg

IMG-1078-min.jpg

Hi Grime, very nice job by the way and thank you for your response🙏 Attached photo should help with the question I’m asking about. In photo that is the front of cab over and those screws looking at the insulation are no attached to anything. How do I approach this ? I do not know how to get those screws out of the metal frame, it looks as though it was or may need attachment to a piece of wood. Thanking you in advance for your response 🙏

D752E0EF-F1CD-448F-9542-17A216ADB248.jpeg

7 hours ago, Sandune24 said:

Hi Grime, very nice job by the way and thank you for your response🙏 Attached photo should help with the question I’m asking about. In photo that is the front of cab over and those screws looking at the insulation are no attached to anything. How do I approach this ? I do not know how to get those screws out of the metal frame, it looks as though it was or may need attachment to a piece of wood. Thanking you in advance for your response 🙏

D752E0EF-F1CD-448F-9542-17A216ADB248.jpeg

Looks like those screws are coming from the outside and securing whatever that white colored panel is (and possibly more, including the outside of your camper) to the metal tubes. I would say dont mess with them. Simply place insulation around them in the manor already shown in your photo. If youre just replacing your bed space you shouldnt need to screw anything into the sides of those tubes, whatever you put should simply rest on top and then be screwed down into the tubes in order to keep it from moving around.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:50 PM, Grime_Divine said:

IMG-1079-min.jpg

IMG-1078-min.jpg

Then what do the screw on the outside over head cab attach to? I think I’m going to glue the wood to to the floor of over cab inside and then to the aluminum frame inside below the window wall . I bought longer stainless steel nails that should reach the wood inside. I don’t know what else they were supposed to be holding on to.

On 3/23/2020 at 1:45 AM, Sandune24 said:

Then what do the screw on the outside over head cab attach to? I think I’m going to glue the wood to to the floor of over cab inside and then to the aluminum frame inside below the window wall . I bought longer stainless steel nails that should reach the wood inside. I don’t know what else they were supposed to be holding on to.

I dont see your picture, it must not have uploaded, but I presume the metal frame of your overhead cab is attached to the rest of your campers frame. Usually all of the metal tubes are welded together, creating a full skeleton around the entire cab that is supported by the main camper's frame (varies by builder) The screws that come from the outside are just meant to attach to the tube metal frame holding your exterior fiberglass tight to the metal tubes. They are screwed into the metal, screwing into metal tubes like this provides alot of strength. The metal frame is where all the strength is. Unless im really misunderstanding you, im not sure why you would elect to remove the screws you pictured earlier and then replace them, Wood behind (in the voids where the pink insulation is on my pictures) the metal frame is just filler to support the bed basically. The original idea being screws from the metal frame (which is where the real support and strength is) can also support a piece of wood on the other end of the frame which the original bed goes on top of. If you simply use a thick piece of plywood (3/4") to sit on the edges of the aluminum tube frame, the wood attaching to those screws isn't necessary anymore.  What is important is the exterior connection made originally by screwing into to the metal tubes not be disturbed. Those screws are coming from the other side of the tube metal frame, or maybe even from the exterior of your overhead cab, so there is no way to remove them of course if the head is inaccessible to you.  The metal tube frame at the base of the long white wall (the one pictured earlier by you, where some of the white has peeled away showing an old wood grain panel) this piece of metal tube frame plus the tube frame nearest to the house section of the camper should be enough to support a bed if the weight is distributed via a thick sheet of plywood.  

As for how to approach this. If the entire tube farthest to the front of your vehicle is strong, feels like it supports weight,  that means all your tubes are welded together and everything is in order. All you have to do is use the strength of that frame to place plywood on top which will sit on the frame and youre done. Im not sure if im misunderstanding you or if the way your camper is built is significantly different to mine, but thats about all I have to say on it. 

Edited by Grime_Divine