1984 Dolphin in craiglist $2700.00

Homer

https://asheville.craigslist.org/rvs/d/spruce-pine-1984-toyota-dolphin-rv/6923323459.html

This is not mine ! Just thought someone needs to check it out if wanting a toyhome.

Edited by Homer
left words out first time.

Funny, I just saw that and considered posting it here as well! It looks super clean with a great price. 

Good day. I just might be the new owner of this rig come Thursday morning!!!!! I’ve spoke with the owner and he states it runs and drives but he doesn’t know if anything works or not. His dad has recently passed and he owned it since 03. Supposedly the motor was rebuilt around 7000 miles ago and had a new clutch installed. He states it has a leak in the bathroom area and behind the sink area as well. I’m mechanically inclined as well as having lots of remodeling expertise also. As long as it runs stops and shifts good and I can check out all the appliances I might just buy it. I’ve read through some of the information on this site already but any other pointers that I should look for will be greatly appreciated. I’ll keep you all updated and thanks for your help. 

Be warned that “doesn’t know if anything works or not” usually translates to nothing works. Not too big of a deal for the price if mechanically inclined and willing to repair/ replace. 

Check well for the leaks and what water damage has occurred. 

I’m going to speak with the owner in a hour or so. When speaking to him previously he stated that it had set for about 6 years at his brothers house hence the “I don’t know if anything works” statement. I will definitely hook it up to shore power and check out what works and what doesn’t and to be honest if I was selling something as this that would have been the first thing I would have done was to plug it in and flip switches. I hope he’s not trying to slip one off on me by not plugging it in himself. I’m hoping for a diamond in the rough but If I get a rough diamond I’ll be pleased as well. I may walk if it’s not as described or I find something worse than stated. I’m in southwest Virginia’s hilly country so the 4 banger will get a workout and I’m used to going slow as I occasionally drive my 60 horse flat fender m38 and normally don’t get over 45 in it. Think “Willy’s Jeep” and that’s a m38. 

10 minutes ago, ijbrad said:

I’m going to speak with the owner in a hour or so. When speaking to him previously he stated that it had set for about 6 years at his brothers house hence the “I don’t know if anything works” statement. I will definitely hook it up to shore power and check out what works and what doesn’t and to be honest if I was selling something as this that would have been the first thing I would have done was to plug it in and flip switches. I hope he’s not trying to slip one off on me by not plugging it in himself. I’m hoping for a diamond in the rough but If I get a rough diamond I’ll be pleased as well. I may walk if it’s not as described or I find something worse than stated. I’m in southwest Virginia’s hilly country so the 4 banger will get a workout and I’m used to going slow as I occasionally drive my 60 horse flat fender m38 and normally don’t get over 45 in it. Think “Willy’s Jeep” and that’s a m38. 

The only problem with sitting for that long is the windows all likely are no longer water tight, check the entire rig for bad rot or rot thats been hidden. i think these dolphins were wood only construction even in wall framing. I usually bring a good flashlight and open up all the cabinets and everything and follow floor lines and everything looking for water rot. Also plan on it needing tires and new rubbers and hoses and everything from sitting!

I certainly will be picking it for rot and hidden things out of sight. I do not want one that I have to do a full interior rebuild as I have other things I do besides buying another project. Tires are a normal wear item and have no problem with that. Belts and hoses are not a problem either. It seems rot is the main item I’ll be prodding around to find signs of. As far as the 22r motor what should I look for? The owner stated a few years back while his father was near Oklahoma the motor started “slinging oil” and he had it rebuilt. Do they seem to rattle cold or hot? Does the coach have a oil pressure gauge? Any areas of concern that I should keep a eye out for motor wise?

The body looks super clean. It has the correct axle. Don’t be too picky or you might loose out on a great deal. 

I looked at the toyo yesterday evening. The outside was in pretty good shape. The inside was far from what the owner had stated. The bathroom ceiling was fell in from leaking. The main coach was in original untouched condition and was in need of a full update. The ceiling was sunk in around the air conditioner and had other areas of obvious leaking. Their were soft spots mostly everywhere. The inside walls of the camper had multiple soft areas. The floor seemed to be fairly solid but needed updated as well. The frame was solid with only surface rust. No signs of major engine or tranny leaks underneath. The motor started up quickly but had a bad miss at all rpm’s. It seemed to be flooding out. Had a small amount of light blue smoke out the exhaust. I did not drive it but the clutch seemed to catch quickly. The charging light was on as well. All in all I think if someone had a lot of time and experience with carpentry and extra money to put into the camper it could be a good little camper but I choose to pass on this one. I hope I help someone that may be interested in it and am thankful for your input and expertise.