3rd Propane Tank

Felt the need to share my propane journey with you all. I ordered my first tank in February. After finally figuring out where to find it on my rig, I discovered the previous owner (twice removed) had hooked up a vertical tank where there should be a horizontal. So I removed that one and purchased my first $175 horizontal tank. I had the appointment set at the RV dealer to get my line checked prior to hooking her up. The day prior to taking her in I discovered the tank had vanished! A faulty latch or possible theft I presumed. So I ordered a new one and replaced the latch with a lock. I order said tank, I fill said tank, I make another appointment to get my line checked, and low and behold yesterday I discover she has vanished again. I've just ordered my third tank, am planning on reinforcing the latch and bolting the sucker on when she arrives.

It's been a year without a functioning kitchen. I'm really tired of PB&J and Chinese Take-out.

If it's removable just keep it someplace safe and install it when you go on a trip.

Druggies use propane tanks to transport anhydrous ammonia. That stuff is very corrosive stuff so they need replacement tanks often. They have also been known to go to big box stores and buy exchange tanks, release all the propane and use the empty tank for their trade. Then exchange the damaged tank for a fresh one. If you use exchange tanks look carefully for green corrosion around the valve

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this info! The main issue has to do with a faulty latch and a tank that shifts around. Will keep y'all updated. Investing in a camp stove in the mean time.

FWIW You can not lock the propane compartment. Clamps or straps for holding the tank are easy...https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/electrical-plumbing-lp-gas/lp-gas-parts-1/bottle-racks

3 minutes ago, WME said:

FWIW You can not lock the propane compartment.

Yep, First Responders want to be able to access them easily in case of a fire or accident. I'm not sure if there's an actual Law that can be quoted, but it makes good sense to not lock the door. Lock the clamps/brackets inside? I guess OK so long as they can turn it off.

NFPA 1192. 5.1.6.3  " Valves Access Door and Panels. Doors or Panels providing access to valves shall not be equipped with locks or require tools to open"

That law enough??☠️

DOT says no locks on the doors there is no reason you can't lock the tanks down if you are afraid of someone sealing them though.

Clever Owl, will that camp stove burn propane in small green cylinders, or white gas (Coleman fuel)?