Toyota Granville

All components of the brakes for these are still readily available. Be sure you search for and double check 1 ton for all of your front and rear brake parts. If everything under there is looking original your brake system is getting old regardless of miles. Shop inspection will let you know what you need. Don't be surprised if they come back saying you need everything considering the age of the machine if it hadn't been done prior. I'd flush the brake fluid, and make sure there are no fluid leaks anywhere, and get pads up front, and shoes and springs in back at a minimum. Then save for a more complete brake job including front discs, calipers, hoses, rear brake cylinders. Look that master cylinder over for leaks to. 

Well since you don't know what you need yet, might be a good idea to buy local. Shops don't like waiting for parts. Most everything you can buy at Oreilly's. Under each item it says the truck it fits. Your looking for 1 ton rear wheel drive

Brake Pads & Shoes - 1986 Toyota Pickup | O'Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)

Under rotors and drums I don't remember the size of our rotor but I'm sure one of these is right and there is one drum listed as for rear dually wheels

Brake Drums & Rotors - 1986 Toyota Pickup | O'Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)

Linda S

2 hours ago, linda s said:

Well since you don't know what you need yet, might be a good idea to buy local. Shops don't like waiting for parts. Most everything you can buy at Oreilly's. Under each item it says the truck it fits. Your looking for 1 ton rear wheel drive

Under rotors and drums I don't remember the size of our rotor but I'm sure one of these is right and there is one drum listed as for rear dually wheels

Brake Drums & Rotors - 1986 Toyota Pickup | O'Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)

Linda S

Thx linda! yea I just wanted a list of parts that work for the RV I wasn't going to buy them. Just wanted the names of the parts so I can give them to the shop so they can source them themselves. I'm stuck in NM and everyone keeps telling me they can't fix something or they can't find something and I refuse to take no for an answer. So thanks for helping me out fr! 

4 hours ago, Scott iv said:

All components of the brakes for these are still readily available. Be sure you search for and double check 1 ton for all of your front and rear brake parts. If everything under there is looking original your brake system is getting old regardless of miles. Shop inspection will let you know what you need. Don't be surprised if they come back saying you need everything considering the age of the machine if it hadn't been done prior. I'd flush the brake fluid, and make sure there are no fluid leaks anywhere, and get pads up front, and shoes and springs in back at a minimum. Then save for a more complete brake job including front discs, calipers, hoses, rear brake cylinders. Look that master cylinder over for leaks to. 

Also Scott how much would something like this cost do you think? 

3 hours ago, linda s said:

Linda S

Also if the rear is 4 wheels am I still looking for a 1ton or half ton? 

The parts are all there on the Oreilly's website. Like I said just pick the ones for a 1 ton rear wheel drive. 

On Rock Auto just click through the categories in brakes and pick the 1 ton rear wheel drive or cab and chassis- camper. 

1986 TOYOTA PICKUP 2.4L L4 Brake & Wheel Hub | RockAuto

Either you can access on your phone and show the shop the right ones. 

If something isn't clear, hit us up. As you've noticed we answer pretty quickly.

Cost will not be cheap. Rear axles must be removed to work on the rear brakes and you're going to need new axle seals too. While it's all apart repack bearings too

Linda S

Do you have zero brakes? A little? Helps to know how much really needs to be done. 

4 minutes ago, linda s said:

The parts are all there on the Oreilly's website. Like I said just pick the ones for a 1 ton rear wheel drive. 

On Rock Auto just click through the categories in brakes and pick the 1 ton rear wheel drive or cab and chassis- camper. 

1986 TOYOTA PICKUP 2.4L L4 Brake & Wheel Hub | RockAuto

Either you can access on your phone and show the shop the right ones. 

If something isn't clear, hit us up. As you've noticed we answer pretty quickly.

Cost will not be cheap. Rear axles must be removed to work on the rear brakes and you're going to need new axle seals too. While it's all apart repack bearings too

Linda S

Do you have zero brakes? A little? Helps to know how much really needs to be done. 

Awesome thanks so much! I have a little left in my brakes they're not entirely shot. When EMS arrived they said the temp was 210 on the rear axle but the front axle was a lot cooler but still too hot. do you have any idea as to how much this could cost me or its pretty unclear given the info I've provided?

Not brake destroying temps. Ask them if they can check the rear shoes from the sight hole in the back of the wheel. The big cost is those rear brakes because of the work involved. If you can get away with only doing the front it shouldn't be too much. Truth is there no way for us to give you a price. Is there fluid. That you can check. 

Linda S

Different shops charge different labor rates. Most shops will provide an estimate before any work is done.

The national average for ASE mechanic’s is about $95 per hour flat rate for labor. 

If you can find a shop that works on big trucks, that might help. Their lifts can easily accommodate your rig.

5 minutes ago, linda s said:

Not brake destroying temps. Ask them if they can check the rear shoes from the sight hole in the back of the wheel. The big cost is those rear brakes because of the work involved. If you can get away with only doing the front it shouldn't be too much. Truth is there no way for us to give you a price. Is there fluid. That you can check. 

Linda S

I can't check anything because its at a shop right now and I'm at an Air Bnb but ill be able to on Tuesday. Thanks for all the insight btw I really do appreciate it.

10 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Different shops charge different labor rates. Most shops will provide an estimate before any work is done.

The national average for ASE mechanic’s is about $95 per hour flat rate for labor. 

If you can find a shop that works on big trucks, that might help. Their lifts can easily accommodate your rig.

I found a RV repair shop here in New Mexico that will do it. thanks for the insight. 

Lots of companies online. You’re looking at about $1.50-$2.00 per mile on average for a long haul.

If it’s roadworthy, it might be more economical to hire someone to drive it for you.

With the cost of fuel today it might be even more expensive.

I think you can get the inspection where you are. Check with Ct DMV and ask if they would accept docs from an approved inspector in New Mexico. People have accidents all the time when out of state and shipping their vehicles home can't be the only option. If Ct won't take an out of state inspection your insurance company should be willing to offer you a temporary binder to get it home. If not there are a few online companies that I think would. 

Linda S