Failed Pressure Test

prodrumernate

1989 Odyssey. it failed the pressure test.it was taken to a mechanic and they did a smoke test.they could see it was coming from above fuel tank but couldnt find its exact location.

anyone have any manuals on dropping the tank and what it would take to do it.possibly an access panel under the floorboard as well?we dont own an owners manual and havent been able to locate.

i want to drop the tank and see if i can repair it.thata stopping it from a title change and getting it on the road.

thanks in advance.

So you're saying you have a leak in the fuel vapor system somewhere? Above fuel tank would imply a leak where the pump mates to the tank or in one of the hose connections/ hoses, or maybe even a rust hole. 

Dropping the tank, empty it to make it light and easy. Disconnect everything going to the tank that you can see and bring it down on a jack or with a friend.  Disconnect battery before starting. Be careful not to break the plastic connectors, they can be brittle. If you drop the tank now would be the time to put a fuel pump in it as well. 

Here is a pic of the tank of my 1990 odyssey. The thinner rectangular tank is the factory tank. The tank is mounted on bars about halfway down the tank with about 3 bolts per side.  

IMG_3373.jpg.85f05ed271277e88e011e440fb8dc1e7.jpg.3c1e2f1c8c80c429cc0560d2a15ed4a6.jpg

Here's another pic of it before being cleaned and refurbished.  This is from above with the floor obviously removed. Sorry for the low quality photo!

IMG_4955.jpg.843ea3286f246a904f4bea51a9bde06a.jpg

5 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I'm not convinced that all Odysseys have their gas tanks mounted in the rear, between the frame rails.

I agree, mine is likely a special case due to being a 4x4, same concept still mostly applies. You have a few wires, a few fuel connections, and a  mount point to the chassis.  Drain what fuel you can, disconnect battery, and start pulling it apart.  Some things won't be accessible to disconnect until tank is partially lowered.  

Edited by Odyssey 4x4

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

Out of curiousity, what did Odyssey install in the factory standard tank location, if anything?

There wasn’t anything there!  If anything I think it may have had something to do with the frame extension?  Maybe the door  location or refrigerator being in the way of the filler cap. 

F6E25C29-FA0B-4E99-BA2B-1A94D99F9DA6.jpeg.d92eff514fe6aebe0636f7cc3aa0de19.jpeg

Very odd. Its not as though yours is the only one with a door in that location or even if its location would affect the tank. It's easy enough to relocate the filler with a bit of hose and tubing (as they did for your install).

Any idea if yours is a standard Toyota 17 gallon tank?

10 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Very odd. Its not as though yours is the only one with a door in that location or even if its location would affect the tank. It's easy enough to relocate the filler with a bit of hose and tubing (as they did for your install).

Any idea if yours is a standard Toyota 17 gallon tank?

It is odd indeed!  The rear fill cap was a pain in the butt with the length of the vehicle, you nearly have to pull completely in front of the pump for the pump to reach the back fill cap, leaving the truck basically in the middle of the road. That is the reason we relocated the filler to the driver side of the truck.  

I'm thinking it probably had something to do with the frame extension since that is right where they cut the frame. I'll admit I'm not completely sure! 

It does appear to be a standard Toyota 17 gallon tank. When I had it out of the truck I put in a new fuel pump and also was a bit confused when we tested the capacity of the tank and fit about 21 gallons on it.  It's possible that the tank doesn't fill to height we were able to fill it to when we had it out of the truck. Regardless, we added a second 15 gallon aux tank 

That would have been a pain having fill caps in two different locations. We were able to fit the aux tank directly in front of the main tank. This gave good weight distribution and simplified wiring/fill/vent hoses.

In the pic I posted of both tanks installed you can see we have both fill caps on top of one another. The idea with this was being able to carry two types of fuel considering I will carry a higher octane in the aux tank to be able to fill my motorcycle when camping, and having the increased range of the vehicle if needed. 

13 hours ago, prodrumernate said:

1989 Odyssey. it failed the pressure test.it was taken to a mechanic and they did a smoke test.they could see it was coming from above fuel tank but couldnt find its exact location.

anyone have any manuals on dropping the tank and what it would take to do it.possibly an access panel under the floorboard as well?we dont own an owners manual and havent been able to locate.

i want to drop the tank and see if i can repair it.thata stopping it from a title change and getting it on the road.

thanks in advance.

This video might be correct 

thank you everyone. i went out and crawled up under the camper to look at it.the tank is rite up against the drive axle facing length wise with the frame.it looks like all the stock tanks in thenphotos and video above.hopegilly going to go and drop it today to have a better look at the fitings and hoses.really hope its a quick and easy fix.i didnt see any drain plugs underneath it but has less than quarter tank ofnfuel in it.the tanknis really clean and looks almost new minues some of the hoses..if not today then saturday ill drop it and have a little help as wellm.

On 4/2/2019 at 7:50 PM, Odyssey 4x4 said:

So you're saying you have a leak in the fuel vapor system somewhere? Above fuel tank would imply a leak where the pump mates to the tank or in one of the hose connections/ hoses, or maybe even a rust hole. 

Dropping the tank, empty it to make it light and easy. Disconnect everything going to the tank that you can see and bring it down on a jack or with a friend.  Disconnect battery before starting. Be careful not to break the plastic connectors, they can be brittle. If you drop the tank now would be the time to put a fuel pump in it as well. 

Here is a pic of the tank of my 1990 odyssey. The thinner rectangular tank is the factory tank. The tank is mounted on bars about halfway down the tank with about 3 bolts per side.  

IMG_3373.jpg.85f05ed271277e88e011e440fb8dc1e7.jpg.3c1e2f1c8c80c429cc0560d2a15ed4a6.jpg

Here's another pic of it before being cleaned and refurbished.  This is from above with the floor obviously removed. Sorry for the low quality photo!

IMG_4955.jpg.843ea3286f246a904f4bea51a9bde06a.jpg

when you refurbished it.you replaced the gaskers correct?i need to replace the 1 for the float but currently cant find it.it also seems to be an after market tank but the float looks stock.

If I remember correctly it was a rubber gasket and in good condition. I could be wrong, it's been a few months! 

• 2 weeks later...

thank you all.i did some work on it and got it all back together.passed with flying colors.in fact they redid emissions and it was even better than the first test. :D with only 65000 miles on it.i see this lasting a long time once my wife and i get done redoing it.that leads me to another question that ill post after this.again thank you all.made it so much easier to work on with everyone's help.