How to connect Marine Battery! Need Power!

NenaMC

Hey newbie here. How can I connect them so my marine battery can charge while I'm driving. Here's one of my thoughts; can my marine battery over charge if I'm driving let's say 3 hrs away. Does it stop charging when it's reached its full charge or how can I put a automatic switch so it can switch on and off when it needs charge or not. I haven't put much use to this rig yet.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Gracias!:ThumbUp:

idk if it helped or not🤕

Edited by NenaMC

• 5 weeks later...

Hey sorry late reply, no wifi. :/

i have a 1984 Dolphin

I'm gunna send diagram to a friend who might understand this 

😳

Edited by NenaMC

Derek Up North, 

how about we FaceTime and you tell me how to do it!?

🤔

I'll try your MH has two batteries one starts the truck the other supplies power to the stuff in the camper, lights, heater, fan, water pump. So there is this nifty gadget call an isolator. When the truck is running the alternator can charge both batteries but once you turn it off it disconnects the house battery good  ideal if you expect the truck to start the next morning if you are lighting lights running the water pump and the furnace. Basically it is nothing more that an automatic switch. Key on both batteries are joined together key off they are not. In your picture there is an isolator relay it's on the inner left fender near the brake master cylinder and it appears to be wired  from the looks of what you got it just a matter of connecting the coach battery and everything should work as it should.

Hello NenaMC, disregard if all of your questions have been answered.

To add on to what Maineah said, your truck has a voltage regulator that keeps your generated voltage (from your alternator) between about 13.5-14.5 volts or so.  It also cuts the current from the alternator when your battery is up to ~14.5 volts.  So you can't overcharge your battery, as long as everything is working as it should.

If you are curious, pick up a cheap multi-meter and have some fun. :)

Thank you Squirrel and Maineah. Im a work on this right now. Let you know when i get it done

Edited by NenaMC

• 2 weeks later...

Yay!

got it connected.

should the plugs be working because there not?

also, how do you turn on the oven? The burners turn on nicely.  I want to try out the oven and make a chocolate cake. :) 

The outlets only work when you are plug in. The oven has a pilot light it's a bit of a trick to light it this is where a long neck lighter comes in. I only used mine once so I'm a bit fuzzy. There is a setting for pilot turn it to that and push the knob in then hold the lit lighter under the assembly in the oven and the pilot will light, hold the button for awhile while it's burning then release. If it goes out then try again till it stays lit then turn to the temp you want and the burner will light. This is a one shot deal meaning you will have to do this each time you use the oven.  

Not like a water heater. You do have to push in to get the oven dial to turn, safety, but you don't have to hold it. Sit on floor, turn to pilot and light with the aforementioned long barrel lighter. Helps to light stove top then turn it off to get gas flowing before you move on to oven. Baking in these tiny ovens can be challenging but can be done. Was always my secret for meeting people when camping alone. Blueberry muffins in the morning and brownies at night. The smell coming from your camper is intoxicating and everyone wants to be your friend. 

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! :ThumbUp:

On 5/11/2019 at 10:11 AM, linda s said:

Not like a water heater. You do have to push in to get the oven dial to turn, safety, but you don't have to hold it. Sit on floor, turn to pilot and light with the aforementioned long barrel lighter. Helps to light stove top then turn it off to get gas flowing before you move on to oven. Baking in these tiny ovens can be challenging but can be done. Was always my secret for meeting people when camping alone. Blueberry muffins in the morning and brownies at night. The smell coming from your camper is intoxicating and everyone wants to be your friend. 

Linda S

I like that the men pass out beer the gals bake muffins!

26 minutes ago, linda s said:

Oh you had better be careful. You should know by now, this girl made the beer and is baking the muffins while she adjusts your valves, fixes that leak or gets your fridge to stay lit. 

Linda S

LOL 👍

• 5 months later...
On 5/26/2019 at 10:33 AM, linda s said:

Oh you had better be careful. You should know by now, this girl made the beer and is baking the muffins while she adjusts your valves, fixes that leak or gets your fridge to stay lit. 

Linda S

Yeah that's a real keeper!

• 4 months later...

Hello again, I am back with another question. So, Im.not sure if the isolator is working. My marine battery doesn't seem to be charging. I been using a battery charger connected to electricity to charge it since i was stationary and had a place to do that. Now that i am back on the road i really need to fix this problem. I drove around all day to see if it would charge and it didnt. Could this be the isolator? Or something else? Thanks. 

Rule 1 Get a voltmeter. Cheap workable https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-63759.html.

With out this you will spend hours guessing. 

19 hours ago, WME said:

Rule 1 Get a voltmeter. Cheap workable https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-63759.html.

With out this you will spend hours guessing. 

Ok.then what. I just got one at harbor freight down the street. 

Two things it should charge plugged in and when the engine is running. You shouldn't need an external charger if you are plugged in. Enter the voltmeter both charging methods are fused first things first.  With the engine running you should see rasing voltage at the battery the same goes plugged in no change then check the fuses one is inside of the coach fuse box/converter charger the other is dependent on the installer of the isolator but should be nearby.

Got new photos? The original post the shows the house battery disconnected.

I'll take small steps. Take your new volt meter, read the instructions.

1. Engine off, coach unplugged. Measure the voltage truck battery, you should measure 12.5+.

2. Start engine measure truck battery again should be 14v+.

Coach battery check.

1. Everything off or unplugged, check coach battery 12.5v+

2. Plug in coach check coach battery V 13.5v+

Let us know what you find

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. So i think i fried my equipment. I touched the posts and a spark came out. Where am I supposed to touch the pens. Ill be back. 

If it's the meter in the picture a few posts above, set the selector on DCV(olts) 20, and be sure the black lead is plugged into 'COM', and (important) the red lead is plugged into the VmA plug, NOT the '10ADC', which would produce a spark because it's shorting out the battery.  You may not have damaged anything, see if the voltmeter works hooked up as above, when you touch the black lead to the - or NEG battery post and the red to the + or POS.