Toyota part numbers for Brakes, Axles, Suspension, etc

I have a 86 Sun-Land Express. It appears I have the LH studs on the left rear. 

Are the left front studs left hand as well?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No just the rear tires. When I've had tires installed I literally hover outside the door to make sure they listened to me and you must always tell anyone who is going to remove the tires. Lots of members have ended up with sheared off studs from repair guys who didn't know or didn't listen

Linda S

Defrag4,

1st time poster here. I recently acquired a 1988 Sunrader 4 cyl. It needs a full break job, from calipers to needing the flexible break lines replaced. Where do I find the specific model number you posted to confirm the parts you listed will fit my coach? Thanks Tim 

Edited by timmyd25

1 hour ago, timmyd25 said:

Defrag4,

1st time poster here. I recently acquired a 1988 Sunrader 4 cyl. It needs a full break job, from calipers to needing the flexible break lines replaced. Where do I find the specific model number you posted to confirm the parts you listed will fit my coach? Thanks Tim 

I think your VIN should be enough to find parts.

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I think your VIN should be enough to find parts.

Thanks for the info. This baby is gunna need some elbow grease for sure. Will regular auto parts stores carry or can get the parts I need? Or do I have to go through toyota? Or both?

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have a 1985 Toyota Dolphin - 20 ft. I've owned it 4 years. 

I do have the retrofitted 1-ton rear axle with full-floating, 6 lug wheels - dualies. 

I now (today) have a rear drum brakes that need replacing and as it turns out, the mechanic shop got the wrong part and can't find the parts. They tell me I need to know which axle I have - other than what I have said here. 

I'm in Flagstaff Arizona. 

Can anyone here help with info or parts? 

Hey Linda S, thanks!

I don't know much about brake parts. These shoes are for the drum brakes?

Mechanics said I need "this & that" (my words) and springs - etc. How do I know what to order for total break job?

What does 3w stand for?

I'm having a difficult time using the site. Hopefully I'll figure it out!

It is wonderful to experience the sharing.

still need more brake info.

A rear brake job has much more than brake shoes.

Labor is a major part of the project, so "saving" money by not buying a $10 part is not a good idea.

From memory 😆 here is most of what you need.

Rear brake shoes, rear brake cylinders,  an inner and outer axle seals. Depending on what things look like you may also need inner and outer rear axle bearings and a brake spring kit.

All this is for one side.

MAKE SURE the mechanic knows that the Toyota rear axle bearings are lubed by the rear axle lube and not by packing the bearings, the rear axle seals are IMPORTANT.

There is a full list of things with part numbers in the first post in this thread

Edited by WME

Thank you both Linda S & WME. I appreciate the info have copied it all down. I am much more informed and am glad the yesterday mechanics couldn't find the parts as they likely wouldn't have done the job correctly. 

As far as parts list at beginning of topic - I don't understand. Does the '88 pickup have the same rear axle? Or would the brake shoe parts from Amazon lead me to all the rest? Vin # doesn't do it as that's also what the yesterday mechanics used. 

What do I say to order all the correct parts, or for the mechanic to order? Yesterday they told me I needed the specific axle info. 

I really do appreciate your time and efforts on my account. Thanks again. 

Like WME said all the parts are in the first post on this thread

Posted February 1, 2019 (edited)

1-Ton Rear Axle Parts DRW

BrakeBest Drum Brake Hardware Kit - Part # 17215 - https://amzn.to/2BA9Rq8

BrakeBest Select Brake Shoes - Part # 523 - https://amzn.to/2Bzq5QE

Bearing seal - National Oil Seal 226285 - https://amzn.to/2DYL4P1

Inner Axle Lip Seal - National Oil Seal 710076 - https://amzn.to/2r2qlS6

Rear Wheel Cylinder - Dorman W37654 - https://amzn.to/2S9QUAa

Axle Shaft Hub Seal/Paper Gasket - Toyota Part No.: 43422-60040

Rear Wheel Studs - Dorman 610-339 - https://amzn.to/2TKuG9w

Rear wheel stud nut - Toyota Part No.: 94115-71400
Rear Wheel stud washer - Toyota Part No.: 90201-14006
6-Lug Acorn Wheel Nut - Dorman 611-118 - https://amzn.to/2S9fWPO
Wheel Nut Toyota Part No. - 90942-01055

I would buy the brake shoes I posted though. Better brand

Your vin is useless to find rear axle parts because that rear axle didn't come on your rig. It was upgraded, probably by National Rv after the recall. 3W is a part of the model number in all Toyota full float dually trucks from 1986 to 1993. 

Does your mechanic realize that he has to pull the axle to get to the brakes? Ask him and if he says no that's wrong find another mechanic

Linda S

Thanks Linda, I definitely won't be using same mechanic.

Wow! Didn't know you had to pull axle for the job. But hey, I only want it done right!

Are the brake shoes the only thing you'd buy the other/better brand, as far as the list goes? All the rest good?

this is an extremely great help. Now I have to find the right mechanic. If you think of something else I should know - please share.

Some of the parts listed you probably don't need. The wheel stud and stud nut are  to put your tires on.  Not part of brake job. Also the listing for acorn is the axle bolt. Those are probably ok too the Toyota part right under that is the acorn nut that you will need to replace. Most people don't replace wheel cylinders if they are not leaking but in this case with any work being such an extensive job replace them for good measure. Remember there are 2 sides here so order enough for both sides, 2 each of seal , etc. Oh and all the rest is fine. Just like the shoes I posted way better

Linda S

I appreciate the good advice and details. If I can just find a mechanic that wants to do the work that has to be done - life will be good!

Thanks very much, I've no doubt you're very aware how much I needed this information.

I'm in Flagstaff, AZ - if anyone has a mechanic recommendation.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for putting this parts list together...used it to rebuild my rear brakes recently.  I decided to just change out everything since it requires some work to get into the drums.

I did notice one thing with the Rear Wheel Cylinder - Dorman W37654.  They appear to be a exact match except for the brake line port.  W37654 has US thread 3/8-24, but all the brake flare fittings on the camper are all Metric 10mm-1.0.  They will thread in but easily crossthread.  Has anyone else run into this issue?  I am going to cut the lines and switcth the flare fittings to US thread instead of removing the wheel cylinders.  Looked around for a similar 7/8 bore wheel cylinder for 1 ton trucks with Metric Thread but have not found one yet.

Yes, it was upgraded to the full float.  I kinda assumed the drum brakes and hard lines to the "T" union were all part of the rear end upgrade correct?  If it was a Toyota full float axle, wouldnt all the brake fittings be Metric?  Or were there various rear ends uses for these upgrades?

Rock Auto has several and that part number is among them. I can't imagine a company making parts for a Toyota without it being metric. Could the part you got have been packaged wrong?. Here's what they've got and all of these have the Toyota factory part number as alternate part # ending in 26090

Just curious do you have custom 15 inch dually wheels in the back?

Linda

Daily Driver collapse

BECK/ARNLEY 0728396 {#4755026090, P9466, WC37654} Info
FitsRear; RWD; 1 Ton
orRear; RWD; Cab & Chassis

<
Part image
>
$10.23  

RAYBESTOS WC37654 {#2037654, 4755026090, 4755029265} Element3 Info One of our most popular parts
Rear; RWD; Cab & Chassis; Standard Cab Pickup; w/ 1 Ton Chassis

<
Part image
>
$11.10  
Economy collapse

ADVICS WCT005 {#4755026090} ADVICS Original Equipment Manufacturer Info
FitsLeft or Right; 2WD, 1 Ton Chassis
orRear; RWD; 1 Ton Chassis / Cab & Chassis; 7/8" Bore

Delay1 Day Delay

Part image  
$15.63  
qty_down_white.png
qty_up_white.png

Add

When i went to thread in the brake line it stripped out the flare nut.  When i looked up the part number on Dormans website it lists the part for Toyota 1-ton, but 3/8-24 port thread.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-25723-w37654.aspx

The wheels appear to be custom 6 lug steel wheels.

image.png.89705565da8f7d47d804da72789edee9.png

I would send them an email and ask why it isn't metric. Tell them you have 10,000 Toyota group members who need to know. Maybe not that many here but between all the groups there are and I have a big mouth. Nice rig

Linda S

Oh and you have a vented door under the 4X4 label. Is there still a generator in there?

Oh and did you buy this rig from Steve?

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2019 at 5:10 PM, defrag4 said:
Best Select Brake Drum - Part # 9353DGS -

okay. So I have the pads and rotors for the front that I'm going to replace myself, and someone replace the shoes in the back already, but in replacing the shoes I found out that I'm definitely going to have to replace the drums as well.

When I call autozone, they give me a part number 3555 for 298 mm

I can't tell if that says 298 mm in there, I can't imagine what else it would say

I am told that the part number I quoted above doesn't match and so I'm curious. I have a 1983 sunrader, by the way

IMG_20210331_120011.jpg

You have an 83 Sunrader but your rear axle is not from that year. 3555 is going to get you a 5 lug drum not 6 with the larger center opening. I need to know if your rear wheels are 3 hand holds or 6. Since I don't know what year axle was used that will help me pin point the drums needed. Do you have a picture of these drums? Hard to believe someone would replace the shoes and not replace scored drums

Linda S

14 minutes ago, linda s said:

You have an 83 Sunrader but your rear axle is not from that year. 3555 is going to get you a 5 lug drum not 6 with the larger center opening. I need to know if your rear wheels are 3 hand holds or 6. Since I don't know what year axle was used that will help me pin point the drums needed. Do you have a picture of these drums? Hard to believe someone would replace the shoes and not replace scored drums

Linda S

Okay, I was afraid of that.

Very glad I checked

Here are some pictures, they weren't changed, because I didn't have the parts and was stuck down in Florida and there was enough drum for me to make it home and just replace the drums here. It had thrown a shoe on the left side and with the new shoes it was driving acceptably

I don't know what three or six hand is it's six lug nuts in the back here's a picture of it with the wheel off if that helps?

IMG_20210331_120258.jpg

Alas, there are no O'Reilly Auto parts stores within 50 mi of manhattan, it would seem.

But if I take that part number to any Auto parts store, I'm good, right?

Also, when you say left handed does that mean that I am turning it right to loosen it?