Overhaul body , theory light weight ??

This could be for any camper or motorhome. But my thought was to build a new camper structure completly.  Avoiding wood. And reducing weight.  

My thoughts are to use .75 - 1” 4130 chrome molly tubing as frame work for sides and roof, then sheeting outside with 4 mm corrugated plastic sign material and coating over it with a couple layers of fiberglass and epoxy resin - or a thick coat of  plastidip.  That stuff is great and very tough.

Then on the interrior filling the void with bubble wrap or light weight foam sheeting and inside layer of the sign board.   Im thinking loose lbs, and if i get leaks i dont have to tote the water weight around    Ive found 7/8” 4130 at $1.05 a foot in .028 and .156 wall thickness ive built with 0.65 and 0.49 in the past and know welding it is not too tough.    And the sign board varies but found reasonabile priced large hd sheets 4x8 at $313 for 10 sheets total weight of 65lbs  my thought on the frame work was the outer edges and every 3rd or 4th row with the thicker molly guesstimate 160-200lbs and using the thinner tubing inbetween having a row every 12” with cross brasing 2 rows around also thin wall 4130.  Would be aprox 180-200’ at 0.253 lbs per foot so 50 lbs added to the thick wall at 200 lbs in theory the shell 3-400 lbs including insulation   Outer coating And rivets to fasten the plastic board. 

I also imagine it would be much safer in a crash vs wood.  

Molly tubing   http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/viewitems/aircraft-metal-tubes-channels-angles/4130-round-tubing

and sign board https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-11312W/Corrugated-Pads/48-x-96-Plastic-Corrugated-Pads-White

• 3 weeks later...