Roadmaster Active Suspension

I just installed one of these kits from www.activesuspension.com. Not exactly on a Toyota but on my F150 with a very heavy workmaster steel canopy installed. But I see that there is a kit available for the Toyota trucks. The difference before and after is absolutely amazing. The truck went from feeling like a top heavy boat to a flat riding stable real truck. Installation for the F150 was really easy. But a floor jack and good jackstands is a requirement. It took longer to get ready for the install than it did to actually install the kit. Anyhow the pick below is the Toyota kit for 86-04 trucks. Not sure exactly how easy or how the Toyota kit installs. Here is a link to the page https://activesuspension.com/products/kits/1986-2004-toyota-pickup-2wd/

rm-2612-2-600x400.jpg

On 11/9/2018 at 11:06 AM, Derek up North said:

It sure would be nice if there was a was to do a direct comparison test with air springs.

That would be a great comparison. Also an expensive test. The air bags I had installed on my Toyota Gulfstream were a major project. I had to remove the axle u bolts to install the bags. They were so rusted I had to cut them off. Took hours to install. But when done I had a air pump that I could operate from the cab to add more pressure and a release valve to lower pressure. Had air shocks also. Both together gave a solid no sway ride. Previously before the bags the rear bumper sometimes dragged when going into and out of driveways. The bags were rubber, probably pop eventually. I think if you all are going to try the roadmaster suspension you should first know your rear axle weight with the coach loaded for a trip then call roadmaster and get their opinion. The above product I linked is for pickups, not dually motorhomes. I am guessing Roadmaster could easily put together a custom kit with stronger springs.  

Greg I would think they would work fine on the Toy home if they were intended for a larger truck as the springs on most were stock Toyota to begin with. My Nova Star had a Big spring pack but most even with the 1 ton were stock springs. I can see how they would help with air bag sway all they did was lift the frame not increase the spring rate same old spring.

On 11/11/2018 at 5:05 PM, Maineah said:

Grege I hope you are doing all right with the fires praying they have not made it that far north.

Yes we are doing fine, we moved to Oregon near Salem one year ago. Our fire season here has ended with the winter rains. Thanks! 

Well I can't think of a better way to avoid fires in CA! It's 16* wind chill 5 6" of snow on the ground and 8 more Friday fire danger is very low here!

8 hours ago, Gulfstream Greg said:

When we lived in Boulder Creek, two years in a row on new years eve we had a flue fire. 

Was that a family tradition? 

• 2 years later...

That's a steep price tag. Do you have a sway bar? I do but when it came loose one time and I didn't realize it my Sunrader handled like crap. Hooked it back up and it was sports car time again. Your certainly not going to need anymore lift. Try a sway bar for stability. 

Linda S

Yes, I have a rear sway bar on my rig. Bushings are shot and they are getting replaced along with the leaf springs and bushings. This thing just feels and handles so sketchy driving through the canyons. I'm worried I'm going to get rear-ended driving so slow. After I get the leaf springs installed I'll white knuckle it again and see if I should spring for the roadmaster kit. It is expensive but they have a 30-day refund police so it *might* be enough time to throw it on and see if it drives $500 better and return it if the difference is minimal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 5:05 PM, Maineah said:

Grege I hope you are doing all right with the fires praying they have not made it that far north.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:00 PM, Gulfstream Greg said:

Yes we are doing fine, we moved to Oregon near Salem one year ago. Our fire season here has ended with the winter rains. Thanks! 

Well here is an update 3 years later! Where we lived in CA (Boulder Creek) every home in our old neighborhood except our old house burned to the ground last summer.