I  put in the CS010R without any extra leaves, although they did suggest it. Rides quite well with good height. My rig is a 1983, 18ft and 4500 lbs with full tanks but no people or baggage/gear. When the springs were installed on the hoist they looked too short. The rear shackles were vertical - Perhaps even a little bit angled to the front.  I added the anti-inversion kit to be on the safe side. However, once it was off the hoist and fully weighted, the springs settled and were the correct fit. The first image is after the install and the second is before. Picked up several inches of ride height. 

I remember looking at a similar chart for my order. Based on weight and the email discussions with ARB we settled on the CS010R with the option of adding an extra spring if necessary. I suspect any later Sunrader is going to be heavier than mine. In that case the CS020R constant load might be a better choice. Certainly that was my initial preference before talking with ARB. I would choose heavier over lighter for sure. 

Hope this helps. 

20201019_160754.jpg

1983_tamworth-nh-12-200x200.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I  put in the CS010R without any extra leaves, although they did suggest it. Rides quite well with good height. My rig is a 1983, 18ft and 4500 lbs with full tanks but no people or baggage/gear. When the springs were installed on the hoist they looked too short. The rear shackles were vertical - Perhaps even a little bit angled to the front.  I added the anti-inversion kit to be on the safe side. However, once it was off the hoist and fully weighted, the springs settled and were the correct fit. The first image is after the install and the second is before. Picked up several inches of ride height. 

I remember looking at a similar chart for my order. Based on weight and the email discussions with ARB we settled on the CS010R with the option of adding an extra spring if necessary. I suspect any later Sunrader is going to be heavier than mine. In that case the CS020R constant load might be a better choice. Certainly that was my initial preference before talking with ARB. I would choose heavier over lighter for sure. 

Hope this helps. 

• 2 months later...

Hello fellow ToyHome owners!  I'm finally gonna work on my rig!  Stripping insides out to shell...

But first!-I've been pouring over the suspension threads here  repeatedly, and have just ordered ARB (Old Man Emu) CS010 springs, bushings, and OME greaseable shackles.  I may also get sway-away torsion bars...

It was very hard to decide on the CS10's vs. 20's, as I plan to put in a battery pack for solar, carry water for boon docking...  I don't want a hard hard ride tho...

I want to THANK Yippeekayaa, akwcanoe, WME, AtlantaCamper and mpanzar for all the detailed discussion and photographs.  I'll post some some soon.

Linda- THANK YOU for moderating this forum.  It is full of vital info for both newbies like myself and, I'm sure, for everyone!  Also - I hope this is ok to post this here?!

&.... no one has used the CS020's?   thanx!

"Freddy"

You really can't go too far wrong. If the 10s are too soft, you can add another leaf. If the 20s are too hard, you can take one out.

Some folks use airbags/air springs to soften the ride. Have no experience with this so please don't take this as a suggestion. Just something worth looking into. Its a real rabbit hole though, with lots of different opinions.  Enjoy the journey. 

Yah, rabbit hole explored as best I can!  (Like a year)  Thx VERY MUCH for ur response to my first ever post ANYwhere!  I'm so nervous to attack all this!  Yet I cannot afford a Sprinter, and I like a wider ride for me & my dog!  & all my ski & cooking stuff... ARB CS20R's vs. 10's is the first, biggest decision.  Ordered 10's.  I like reserving the additional leaf idea!  My fiberglass needs help...

I do have airbags, prolly stock.  Looked at  "ZUK mod" as referenced by WME, my (MUCH more experienced mechanic) assistant sez wait...?  But seems now is time for such?  I do want weight capability- batteries, solar, boondook water, cast iron cookware, outdoor stuff!  summer-removable wood stove midship.... but not to mess up my NEW refrigerator- coming soon...

Mostly road travel but lotsa - indeed SPECIFICALLY!- snow/ice and some few specific rocky areas in mind.... if anyone has more input!?  The steep drive has messed up both this and my previous Sunrader's (1985 210RD) step & bumper...  besides springs & front adjustment I'm gonna get the little wheels AtlantaCamper installed & check tank outlet...

BTW- 195 R14tire update for all interested-  (HOW POST THIS?!!)I have 195 r-14's that r ok for a year  or so hopefully but I and friend did much research  (185-205's, all manufacturers we could find?)- not much budget besides Hankook- how r they doing, every/anyone?

I learned from a really nice guy at my Costco that Michelin stopped their 195/r14 option and I found

-only USA is Goodyear Wrangler AT @ $233 ea, = $1400/6 !!

(I have and will keep duallies)

I like the look of the tread pattern online, does anyone have these?...  Oregon rain and snow...

later -next year- the snow tire SUPER TRAXION referenced in this forum by mpanzer, I think?

Am asking my RV guy to keep eye our for lots of used items such as in/(on?)-board controlled  air system for air bags, roof a/c, small stove hood vent, tank/power control panel..

very grateful for all the info here!

P.S. akwcanoe-  I miss & grew up canoeing, riding horses -

Fred Heath- I was born in Raleigh, Dad prof, gonna drive the rig there someday- um, just a reach here, Sadlack's?

mpanzar- Seattle, PDX...

Skydancer- contra, OT... missing jams

• 1 month later...

I love this forum! I’m going to dive into fixing my ‘84 Sunrader’s saggy butt. Local spring shops are no help so far (I live close to Kingston, Ontario Canada). Any chances anyone knows of a Canadian source for some CS010R springs? I may even try the CS020R springs, as I’ve mounted 2 removable seats in the back for my kids (they’re legit ford transit jumper seats - bolted to the frame) - travelling with wife and kids is a bit heavy for the little beast. Getting itchy to get on the road for some fun summer travels again!

The CS010Rs should be fine for an 18ft Sunrader rear dinnette. You can order an extra leaf or add it later. That said, the 20s would not be a problem. See the before and after pics of mine up above. That is straight 10s without the extra leaf. 

Edited by akwcanoe
Omission of word.

Thanks Akwcanoe - yours looks fantastic with the new springs - mine is in a similar condition as your before pic - still sags with airbags. Not surprised with the rig holding such weight for 37 years! I had a 2000 Ford Ranger with a tiny slide in camper that I added an extra leaf - and the springs broke after I was done with the camper (hauling firewood...). I had found Tdot - and will be getting ready to order and install probably for early May. I’ll also do my best to add before and after pics for this thread. Thanks for the info everyone. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to order ARB cs010r leaf springs for my 1986 sunrader adventure. I have a full set of suspension bushings do I need to order the shackles too? Planning on having it all installed at a local spring shop here in Socal. Macs Springshop in San Bernadino. I grabbed some pictures under my rig. Any additional thoughts? KYB shocks installed a couple of years ago.

I dont see airbags, not sure if the pop-top sunraders are any lighter. Do airbags provide any additional handling improvements? It rides like a covered wagon currently and steers like a large boat. Hopefully can fix that 

Also what is the weird notch in the frame in the last pic? The underside of this thing looks so hacked together.

20210418_100727.jpg

20210418_100629.jpg

20210418_100620.jpg

20210418_100612.jpg

Your shackles just look rusty. Wire brush. Your spring bushings are totally shot though which can affect ride and stability. Don't know what the notch is. You do have a sway bar. See if you can wiggle it at all. Shot sway bar bushings will allow too much side to side movement affecting steering. As far as air bags wait and see how it drives after the spring install. Those are going to give quite a bit of lift and I can't imagine your rig needing anymore. Remember it may seem too high at first. Drive it a while to let them settle before you think of removing any leaves. 

Linda S

Thank you! I ordered the springs from 4wheelparts for curbside pickup. Hopefully will have them installed in a couple of weeks along with new bushings. Still need to measure the shackle bolts and order them ahead time as I have a feeling the current ones won't be usable after removal.

Still can't figure out how to get the spare tire to drop and neither could the guys at the tire shop. For all we can tell access to drop is blocked by the rear bumper which is welded to the frame.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 12:04 PM, Trollmessiah said:

I love this forum! I’m going to dive into fixing my ‘84 Sunrader’s saggy butt. Local spring shops are no help so far (I live close to Kingston, Ontario Canada). Any chances anyone knows of a Canadian source for some CS010R springs? I may even try the CS020R springs, as I’ve mounted 2 removable seats in the back for my kids (they’re legit ford transit jumper seats - bolted to the frame) - travelling with wife and kids is a bit heavy for the little beast. Getting itchy to get on the road for some fun summer travels again!

Any progress? I'm in the same boat of deciding on 10 vs 20

On 3/30/2021 at 12:04 PM, Trollmessiah said:

I may even try the CS020R springs, as I’ve mounted 2 removable seats in the back for my kids

I'd be real interested in seeing the seating you mention. I've been thinking about doing something similar. Please share?

(totally off topic) I nabbed some ford transit jumper seats that fit perfectly at the back (rear dinette 18 Sunrader). Had an engineer friend get me some High Strength Steel and the most robust 1/2” bolts and nuts I could find to attach (can't remember the sheer strength) and they bolt onto the truck frame. When we camp, they fold and fit in the truck cab.

20210504_172645.jpg

Edited by Trollmessiah

Also just ordered the springs, new shocks and bushings. Super excited to get in the road this summer!

Edited by Trollmessiah

On 5/4/2021 at 2:34 PM, Trollmessiah said:

(totally off topic) I nabbed some ford transit jumper seats that fit perfectly at the back (rear dinette 18 Sunrader). Had an engineer friend get me some High Strength Steel and the most robust 1/2” bolts and nuts I could find to attach (can't remember the sheer strength) and they bolt onto the truck frame. When we camp, they fold and fit in the truck cab.

20210504_172645.jpg

Nice!

On 5/4/2021 at 2:35 PM, Trollmessiah said:

Also just ordered the springs, new shocks and bushings. Super excited to get in the road this summer!

10s or 20s? Please share your progress. 

2 hours ago, jimiflow said:

10s or 20s? Please share your progress. 

Ordered the 10s. Waiting on them. A local shop is happy to install. Will update with before and afters.

Did they already send you one?  Summit racing has them for the same price but they also have only a few in stock. Buy one now if you can. waiting till June and finding out they still can't get them would be a disaster. Sometimes stuff like this just isn't available for a while. Shop aggressively. Looks like lots of places have limited stock. 

Linda S

other places

Old Man Emu CS010R Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf Springs | Summit Racing

Old Man Emu by ARB, Leaf Spring, CS010R - Desert Rat

1979-1988 Toyota Pickup | 1984-1989 4Runner Rear Leaf Spring - Heavy 2.25" Lift by Old Man Emu (CS010R) (lowrangeoffroad.com)

I ordered online for store pickup on April 19th and called the store and they confirmed they have one of them. I suppose I'll call tomorrow and see if I can pickup the one and find the other from Summit. Thanks Linda

Just an update: I called 4WheelParts this morning and they put me on hold while they called their rep over at ARB. The shipping containers containing the springs were supposed to be delivered to ARB on the 10th of this month but due to transit/shipping delays they are expecting the container this week and then will begin to fulfill orders the following week. Chances are there will not be many leftover springs allocated for retail after all of the backordered dropships are filled. Linda looks to be right on this and if anyone is planning on new leafs soon, order right away. Many of the sites I see listing these springs "in-stock" are actually counting on distributor allocations and do not have the physical product in-stock.

30 minutes ago, hamkid said:

reusing or buying new U-bolts, shackles, and hardware?

I'll be doing my rear leaf springs later this summer and contemplating the same thing. I'm leaning toward new. 

I'm definitely replacing the hardware and U-bolts when doing my leaf springs in a few weeks. Going to wait on the shackles and see what my mechanic thinks of their condition after I scrape the rust off.

So... Got a great surprise yesterday from 4wheelparts - received the OME springs! Now I'm just waiting on the new shocks and bushings to arrive and its game on.

On 2/10/2021 at 8:16 PM, kevinchinook said:

I run the Hankooks on my 1986 Sunrader Adventure. Great tires so far!

I do as well. They have about 4k miles on them and look nearly new. The crazy part was how much stiffer they were than the car tires someone had put on before me. I looked them up and they went on things like pontiac grand am etc.

4 hours ago, lansisco said:

I do as well. They have about 4k miles on them and look nearly new. The crazy part was how much stiffer they were than the car tires someone had put on before me. I looked them up and they went on things like pontiac grand am etc.

The tires on my rig when I first picked it up were 8+ years old. I dont remember the size but they weren't D-rated like my current ones. They had decent tread and looked okay and I drove it from Norcal to Socal overnight with no issues. Looked up the date code a few days later and feel blessed I made it. Hankooks have been great, I have maybe put a couple thousand miles on mind and they look new. Started with 55 psi when I had them installed and 19 months later they were all hovering 45-50 psi without a single air fill inbetween.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone else has found the solution here: I've just pulled off my old leaf springs and am ready to replace them with the CS010R springs, but I'm struggling to figure out how to use the old hardware with these new bushings. I ordered the OMESB6 bushing kit with the springs, but the center holes are far too large for the bolts and the kit didn't come with any of the metals sleeves I would've expected. My shackles are in good shape, so I'm hoping to not have to order the OME greasable shackle kit (which might solve the sizing issue on the back of the spring, but would still leave me needing sleeves for the front). I know a few people have installed these kits before (@akwcanoe, @AtlantaCamper, @mpanzar), so I'm wondering what I'm missing....

Bolts seem to be 1/2" and the bushing hole is at 11/16", so as best I can figure, I'm needing some metal sleeves 1/2"ID x 11/16"OD x 2 11/16"L - all my web searches are turning up nothing, and I haven't seen anything from OME that meantions sleeves.

Edited by MattM
@mentions