Diesel is nice, I wonder how difficult it would be finding parts here in the states

13 hours ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

Diesel is nice, I wonder how difficult it would be finding parts here in the states

Probably note easy. From the little research I did, the engines used in the MHs proposed were never used in vehicles sold by Toyota or Isuzu in North America.

" In the U.S. the elf was marketed as the Isuzu NPR and Chevrolet/GMC W series, each available with either the 4HE1 4.8-liter turbocharged diesel engine or GM's L31 Vortec 5.7-liter gas engine and 4L80-E Automatic Transmission."

Transmission and steering/brakes/suspension? Maybe. I'm guessing you'd have to become your own expert.

I thick some of the JDM resellers with a local presence claim to have spares. Otherwise I guess you're looking at the time and expense to order overseas.

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

Probably note easy. From the little research I did, the engines used in the MHs proposed were never used in vehicles sold by Toyota or Isuzu in North America.

" In the U.S. the elf was marketed as the Isuzu NPR and Chevrolet/GMC W series, each available with either the 4HE1 4.8-liter turbocharged diesel engine or GM's L31 Vortec 5.7-liter gas engine and 4L80-E Automatic Transmission."

Transmission and steering/brakes/suspension? Maybe. I'm guessing you'd have to become your own expert.

I thick some of the JDM resellers with a local presence claim to have spares. Otherwise I guess you're looking at the time and expense to order overseas.

This was a concern of mine when I was considering an LMTV M1078 for a hardcore expedition rig.  Consider losing a hard to find part in the middle of nowhere far from home.  You may be looking at WEEKS to source a part.  You better be ready to camp out there for a long time or have a fat wallet and good friends across the country!  

25 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I had to Google that one! :)

I have a (Swiss) neighbour who used to import ex-Swiss Army Pinzgauers. I'd have been OK for 'support' while at home, but I'm guessing not if in the parking lot @ Autozone. :)

He made that look easy!  The 1078s are nice but the downfall is a stock highway speed of about 50mph, no locking differentials, and super expensive heavy parts!  

11 minutes ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

Those are sweet too but a couple bucks above my budget ?

Well if you figure out that your going to have a 4x4 Odyssey worth 70 grand the price will seem cheaper. Just found a thread with some mileage specs on that Fuso camper and they are very impressive considering the weight

I thought I'd posted this, but can't find it in this thread. Fuel consumption over 100,000 km and 157 tank fills.

Best consumption was Scandinavia and India / Nepal. Consistent low speed, long runs. 13.0 l/100km - 21.8 mpg.

Worst was Turkey. Higher speed, steeper hills, higher ambient temperature. 21.0 l/100km - 13.5 mpg.

Most 4wd was in Morocco. Slow speed, lower tyre pressure, softish sand. 14.8 l/100km - 19.2 mpg.

Average for nearly 100,000km whole trip 16.5 l/100km - 17.2 mpg.

Simplistically speed has most effect, changing speed and gear changes increase consumption, surface, probably fuel quality, and 4wd was well masked.

Linda S

6 hours ago, linda s said:

Well if you figure out that your going to have a 4x4 Odyssey worth 70 grand the price will seem cheaper. Just found a thread with some mileage specs on that Fuso camper and they are very impressive considering the weight

I thought I'd posted this, but can't find it in this thread. Fuel consumption over 100,000 km and 157 tank fills.

Best consumption was Scandinavia and India / Nepal. Consistent low speed, long runs. 13.0 l/100km - 21.8 mpg.

Worst was Turkey. Higher speed, steeper hills, higher ambient temperature. 21.0 l/100km - 13.5 mpg.

Most 4wd was in Morocco. Slow speed, lower tyre pressure, softish sand. 14.8 l/100km - 19.2 mpg.

Average for nearly 100,000km whole trip 16.5 l/100km - 17.2 mpg.

Simplistically speed has most effect, changing speed and gear changes increase consumption, surface, probably fuel quality, and 4wd was well masked.

Linda S

A $70,000 Odyssey?!  I better start saving

Thanks Linda!  That means a lot to hear you say that!  I think no matter what I do to it, people will always be more partial to the fiberglass sunrader!  I definitely understand the appeal but we know the rarity of those.  I'm going to build the Odyssey with function and simplicity in mind but try to keep it feeling as "OEM" as possible.  I really dig the classy interior styling of the Earthroamers, not the crap like cappuccino makers and flat screen tvs but the simplicity and layout.  

I think the Odyssey should be pretty sweet when done and I hope most will agree.  I'm not building it to flip it but when time comes to sell sometimes we consider ourselves lucky to even break even on what the build cost!

There are no 4x4 Sunraders with a V6. I've only seen one with a larger engine and that one they somehow managed to squeeze a Chevy 350 into. Rest of the truck was rough though. I have gotten stuck in the mountains because my 22re just wasn't strong enough to pull me out, hit stall speed. A V6 would have made it a breeze.  No I don't have a 4x4, no I shouldn't have been there but hey you only live once. I did get out. Sometimes crazy is a good place

Linda S

4 hours ago, linda s said:

There are no 4x4 Sunraders with a V6. I've only seen one with a larger engine and that one they somehow managed to squeeze a Chevy 350 into. Rest of the truck was rough though. I have gotten stuck in the mountains because my 22re just wasn't strong enough to pull me out, hit stall speed. A V6 would have made it a breeze.  No I don't have a 4x4, no I shouldn't have been there but hey you only live once. I did get out. Sometimes crazy is a good place

Linda S

I decided I wasn't going to get another 4 cylinder camper when I was in my Escaper on Pikes Peak in Colorado.  I made it about half way up and ran completely out of power with the pedal to the floor.  It was raining/snowing/nasty weather and I had to do what felt like a 25 point turn around on a super steep mountain road with cars stopped in both directions waiting for me.  It was pretty scary to say the least.  

Was I too heavy?  Of course, these things are too heavy from the start.  I had all my camping gear, my motorcycle on the hitch hauler, water in my tanks.  I should have known better.  But like you said, crazy can be good.  No regrets!  

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have any info on basic maintenance parts/supplies for the Isuzu Elf 150 4x4 5 speed manual? Looking for anthing that might be compatible that we are ok to use from the states (USA). We have the NPR versions but the closest thing is a 3.9 diesel engine. Isuzu dealers are not very helpful unfortunately. 

I need the year and the specific engine . Some in the 90's actually had a Chevy 5.7 vortex engine and parts would be easy. In fact on further looking it doesn't look like the NPR was even offered with a gas engine except for here. Let me know what it really has

Linda S

• 5 months later...

For our long time members, both of these people joined in the last hour. It should be a given that you never should consider buying a motorhome that isn't already in this country and at a place where you can see it and drive it. For the posters take your arguement somewhere else. Buying a motorhome that you cant source parts for or find a mechanic who can work on it is stupid 

Linda S moderator in case you didnt already know

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The Camroad is not a US vehicle, so not likely anyone here has driven one.  Also, it came with a variety of engines.  So you'd want to specify which engine in asking the question.