Hi Folks   I had a problem today with my  87 Warrior 22 RE auto trans,  on both front wheels the brakes locked on and I had virtually no movement in the Brake pedal, I was only about 3 miles from home and so hadn't driven far, the pads were seized on tight and I couldn't drive and by the time I stopped the front wheels were too hot to touch,  I realize I'm going to have to change the calipers, pads and disks, on both sides because of the excessive heat.  Any advise on what could have caused this to happen? and where else I should look to see why the brakes seized?  I had to get my motorhome towed back to my home.  I would appreciate if anyone has the part numbers handy for the calipers and disks.   thanks    Mike

Add to the replace list the rubber brake hose going to the calipers and the master cylinder. Bleed and flush the entire brake system.

FWIW the only thing both front brakes have in common is the master cylinder.

WME thanks for your reply, good advice!  This morning now that everything has cooled off, the wheels are turning freely,with just a minimal amount of drag on the passenger side, I have the front end up on blocks and the wheels off.  the next job is for me to check with Napa and sort out part numbers and see if I can cross reference the parts up here in Canada.

Thanks Mike 

OK Linda, good to know, when it happened on your Toyota Motorhome, was it just the front brakes that seized?  and do you remember if the master cylinder is the same as for the regular pick ups, or do I need to look for one for the one ton with dual wheels? 

I've been looking back through old posts to see if I can find part numbers for the correct calipers for the one ton, very confusing!

Thanks Mike

Thanks again Linda, when you get time to look could you let me have the part number please, I was down at our local car parts store "Lordco" they have ordered me a master cylinder that might be right? along with the two calipers, then again I'm not sure if they are the correct ones, plus the front brake hoses.

Thanks  Mike

flexible brake lines can cause lockup - but usually not equal - will pull one way or the other. A master cylinder can cause it.

Look at your brake parts before ordering new ones - they may be ok.

Flushing the brakelines is a no brainer - brake fluid absorbs water and that leads to corrosion.

It's easy to tell. If it's the right one both tubes that attach to brake lines are horizontal out on the drivers side. I think I goofed though. I think rock auto sent me the wrong one. Mine had sensor wires to the reservoir and the one I got didn't. Could have used old reservoir but it was old. I got this because I like Beck Arnley but not quite right

BECK/ARNLEY 0728522 {#4720135430, MC39518, P9483} New Info
RWD; Heavy Duty Chassis, Model # Ending In 3W
This is the Toyota part number
Toyota Part No.: 47201-35430
This is what I ended up buying

Linda S

Thanks Linda   I Googled Dorman Parts from the name on the master cylinder that you used,  and that put me onto this site below, It looks like I can get everything I need up here in Canada, our local parts store can only source one caliper for the passenger side, and they said they might have the master cylinder?    thanks Mike

https://www.google.ca/search?q=the+wrench+monkey&rlz=1C1CHWA_enCA618CA618&oq=the+wrench&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0j69i60l3j0.11936j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UT   

Dan thanks for the reply, yes could have been a rubber brake hose, but with our truck both Calipers were locked on and way too hot to touch and no movement on the brake pedal, that's why I think it would be for the best to change the calipers.    Mike

what makes you think the calipers are bad?  Have you examined them for cracks?      I would be concerned that the rotors might have warped, but from what I have read I would be thinking master cylinder. If that fixes the lockup then the other stuff can be evaluated afterwards.

• 1 year later...
On 9/13/2018 at 7:31 PM, linda s said:

It's easy to tell. If it's the right one both tubes that attach to brake lines are horizontal out on the drivers side. I think I goofed though. I think rock auto sent me the wrong one. Mine had sensor wires to the reservoir and the one I got didn't. Could have used old reservoir but it was old. I got this because I like Beck Arnley but not quite right

BECK/ARNLEY 0728522 {#4720135430, MC39518, P9483} New Info
RWD; Heavy Duty Chassis, Model # Ending In 3W
This is the Toyota part number
Toyota Part No.: 47201-35430
This is what I ended up buying

Linda S

Is this the best source for a master cylinder? 87 Escaper 22re. 

The price at Amazon has gone up quite a bit. There are a few at Rock Auto in the 60 dollar range. Some I would buy and some not. I never buy Centric. Ever Ever. The Bec Arnley was the right part but for some reason they don't think we need the cap with the sensor. I think all of us do. I like the Wagner. Has the same large reservoir as the original. Lots of the newer ones have a tiny reservoir. I'm thinking that's not good. Wagner part is 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=906541&cc=1277502&jsn=478&_nck=Ekt6BqBF1pwlXdx0gYlm1esw98pF26vehMm%2FGG3C%2Fl2QOXSJubi7Wbtv3UuYQU5UyODXEx%2F1kTRfmxbBwlB2kgdp56CHYE%2F1dO4AcBH59M7fxRUkRHomls5AuJMDrJpc%2FnNQJoka%2Fq9m0774nn6d2Mh4kUg4%2F4hLgey9oTg%2BHKbrELp6UVg8yBpmGnaqjEpiFweyL%2BZrzMBKzfUXF6Tf8b7PZHp9diXkzAPlbK0KdzBsSDemjsdm9lpmMNvP658Lx%2FEs9RktkGnzADtXfahv7LFYdg2LBApeQPTFu%2F9%2FSlyhyaloBYNToHY8OpqPrmSfvKAxx36%2FONiLU6peVr9Ii0CzkMxSbXozxXxsZ7NNWiEK6tWHcfueGo3DWb7GiUzoF481pi3QWJbWBowB2DJogJorzBT7TiHnFixzQL7t16k%3D

What a link. Part number is MC110976 and it costs 61 bucks and change plus shipping

Linda S