'83 Sunrader

SSBreeze

So here is my posting that is overdue, but still in the making. Bought this in Jan. of 2018. Giving myself 2 years to get it up to speed and ready for circumnavigating of the US, if that's even possible...lol. Will swing through many parts of Canada also as I love it up there and some of the most beautiful country around. 

Try to take some pics along the way of before and after...you should be able to tell the difference. 

These are the pics from the posting for sale...

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

I'm going to keep submitting this with pics as it seems to be the easiest way to send them. What the inside looked like at first...my clean slate.

orig back fback.jpg

orig back ffwd.jpg

Since there were 2 leaks, I took all the cyroplastic board down. One leak from the back vent, one from the back marker light. Replaced the vents as they were original and old with very little light coming through after being painted. Sealed the marker light and checked all the others. After replacing those I washed/scrubbed the entire top and painted glossy white.  

replacing vents.jpg

New roof vents closed.jpg

New roof vents open.jpg

Found a small leak in the passenger's side floor board. Took all carpet out and patched hole. Came out great and very solid. Replaced w/new carpeting as it was time for that also. Overall was and is in very good shape. 

cab_no_carpet.jpg

New carpet.jpg

New front color.jpg

new_front_with_console.jpg

I started working on the back more. All the flooring removed as it was warping and was time. Added 6 mil. marine plywood and then new flooring. I had to laugh as I saw a post a while back of someone using the same flooring as me at the exact same time. He didn't see mine and I didn't see his, just a great color and style for the floor. Did I mention I put in 4 lodge poles to hang my hammocks by? You will see those in the following pics with more to come...

flooring_out_fac_bkwd.jpg

flooring out fc fwd.jpg

front_view_flooring.jpg

back_flooring.jpg

I covered the walls and ceiling prior to flooring with a 1/4" closed cell foam. I put that on the fiberglass with 3M 77. Then added 1" rigid insulation, then another layer of 1/4" foam mostly for winter weather here in the NW. It has worked well also for the heat of Idaho at 100F+ as the vents do their job, and the white glossy paint does it's. I also cut open a front hatch as there was just a horizontal sliding piece of plywood when I got it.

fst_hammock_up.jpg

hatch_partial_open.jpg

New_front_part_closed.jpg

So I have added 500W of solar to the roof. A 2000W, 4000W peak pure sine inverter. I have a 40amp converter for shore power which will charge my 4 x 6V 235amp each batteries installed in the floor when I'm out of the sun or night time.

int inverter.jpg

above with panels.jpg

batt_box_left.jpg

The solar shower on the back is working, but I have several other ideas in the making. I have to take some more pics of updates as I have added a multi level table for the kitchen/working area with a microwave and toaster oven. I use a 75L Yeti cooler for a frig. Ice lasts for about a week in the heat. I then use the melted ice water for everything but drinking. I get about 3 gallons of water from that. I have a great porta potti model 550E by Thetford for nature's calls. I have several tapestries that serve as curtains as needed, but it is just me, so usually not. 

first_outing_hammocks.jpg

new back fc back.jpg

A random pic under the hood....175 amp hr VMax battery that runs my 5 different leds on a marine rocker panel in the rear. To bad Lithium Ion batteries are still so expensive, they would be a great addition for solar also...Maybe by the time my current batteries have run their life cycles, the competition and prices will equalize....

I figure I'm about 70% of where I need to be, a bit ahead of schedule, but allowing for the unseens, and unknowns that always comes around....and I'll get more pics updated soon.  

under_hood.jpg

Have you got your golf cart batteries on a different circuit from your VMax?  I've been thinking about adding extra batteries, but have yet to commit.

Also your engine bay is MUCH cleaner than mine!

Yes, 4 × 6V are vmax also on different line. Best battery for $ right now. 55K on motor when I got it. At 58K now. Thanks! 

Interesting, I quite like your build.  Were those battery boxes in your floor original, or did you install those.  They look amazing!

Thanks...yes I put those in. The first couple pics show how I bought it...just the shell basically. Everything removed from inside and marine grade fiberglass/ sealing on the exterior and paint. I'd been looking for 2 yrs lol.

• 3 years later...
On 9/3/2018 at 10:32 AM, SSBreeze said:

Found a small leak in the passenger's side floor board. Took all carpet out and patched hole. Came out great and very solid. Replaced w/new carpeting as it was time for that also. Overall was and is in very good shape. 

cab_no_carpet.jpg

New carpet.jpg

New front color.jpg

new_front_with_console.jpg

I know this post in 2 years old, But STILL, great looking cab! I'm curious because I have this issue in mine: Did you have nasty tacky glue under that delicious shag carpet? mine is from 85 and has gnarly glue that I'm just not in the mood to really try stupid hard to scrape out, I'm wondering if you managed to find an easy way to accomplish this removal, or if your carpet was just screwed into the body without glue. Because mine had BOTH! I also have a dolphin, not a sunraider, so that could also make a difference. 

Hi PB,

Thanks for the kind words! I did not have any sticky glue issues with my old carpet as there was insulation under it, and very little adhesive under that. I may suggest if your glue won't leave big bumps in the floor under new carpeting, just leave it. You may also sprinkle some baby powder on the glue and rub it around with a glove as this would remove it's tackiness. I did put new insulation under my carpet and that would also take up any uneveness you may find.

Hope this helps and enjoy your build out.