91 Dolphin needs new home

Vanman

I have fixed up a 91 Dolphin model 400, minus the captains chair. But it needs a new ft bumper ,rt headlamp, ws washers just plugged up , have a new Denso starter( from toy dealer) to install, hoses from filler to tank need replacing, O2 sensors bad, just flunked smog, front doors starting to rust out at bottom, Onan gen is great for noise and will run both microwave and roof AC, but needs fuel pump.

On the plus side good tires,with ss wheel simulators, RV part in good shape, no leaks, all fixed up,  LED's everywhere, computer controlled Maxx fan, new outer LEDs, new powerstation 35A.

Toy dealer did thermostat, fan clutch, drain and refill everything, replace all hoses inc brake, all rear brake components replaced,even the springs and mount and bal tires.

Repair shop in vallejo replaced all the exhaust shims, starter :( , small, coolant hose missed by dealer,  gas filter.

Les Schawb in vallejo did the front brake rotoers, bearings, pads, calipers, shocks, steering dampner,  shackle bushings. 

RV part was stripped, painted misc repairwork sealing roof & mouldings  and all new roof fixtures and Maxx fan done by Salvador Auto body in Lancaster ,Ca. Highly reccomended by some of the folks at my first Toy-in at Felton , Ca. Expensive , but it really looks great :) . Probably missing some parts replaced and she runs great.

I'm too old to do stuff myself and have  30,000$ into it so far. Now Mary wo'nt go out in it anymore, so there's nothing but some great memories. I have no regrets but now just want to get it gone.  Would prefer to find her a good home but with the rust and other problems what are the chances anyone would want it???  Calif registration runs till 09/18/2018 so I have to do something quick.  I'v gotten some great advice from this fourm before, so any suggestions??

vanman

just fixed ws washers :)

Edited by Vanman

In the bay area you should be able to get plenty of your money back. Post some pictures and the locals can probably help you price an ad for craigslist. These arent make or break problems. Even in californja its not unusual to have a few rust spots where you note them. Just dont expect your 30,000 back -- its not a 4x4 sunrader.

As for registration, its as simple as filing planned non operation. Its not like you are taking it camping until its fixed.

Edited by neubie

Well, seems you cannot sell or even give away to a private party without a smog cert here in calif. That limits the options. To file a no op permit you need a place to park it off street, which I do not have.

59 minutes ago, Vanman said:

Well, seems you cannot sell or even give away to a private party without a smog cert here in calif. That limits the options. To file a no op permit you need a place to park it off street, which I do not have.

rented parking space or some private/rv storage until things improve. AAA towing if need be.  PNO insurance savings should cover moving costs even if it needs to be towed. Its a tiny vehicle. With a little creativity I am sure parking can be found. Perhaps post/check for rent ads for storage on craigslist?

Are you keen to just let go or would you rather complete/use?  Either way, it looks like a reliable mechanic is needed to get it smogged. Perhaps Linda or Nam have some resources they could identify?

I have also wanted a reliable mechanic in the bay area and havent had any recommendations so far.  Another place to ask for someone reliable who could get it past smog is https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToyotaMotorhomeClub/

less reliable than here but has a wider audience -- of buyers and potentially persons capable of repairing.

Do you feel comfortable going on a drive?  If you want it gone, you could post it on Reno's Craigslist.  But you may have to drive it over there.

O2 sensors are easy peasy. Just get it fixed, and get it smogged. Not rocket science. Any service station can do it. Vanman you've been on these groups as long as me. You must have more resources than this. Besides you've had so much other work done. Finish and don't throw your investment away completely.

Linda S

5 hours ago, Vanman said:

At least 75% of all private party used car sales come with no smog. People want the cheapest price and they know a smog cert will add to that. Yes it's the law but it's also one that's completely ignored. You just have to make sure you file a release of liability form. Online one is best

Linda S

So I've decided to  dig into it some. There's no check engine lite on and it runs great so how bad can it be? I checked the engine codes and get  12, which isn't a real problem with the engine if it runs. It's caused by the starter not starting the motor when it's hot. I get someone to hold the starter switch on and wack the starter with a wrench, starts rite up. So the ecu is seeing the signals up to start but after several seconds and it doesn't see the ign/destributer signals active. I cleared that code and run it around for a while started it up several times, recheck and code doesn't come back. So I'm thinking if not the O2 maybe the cat is gone. On all my older cars back in the day replacing the cat fixed the smog every time , my 74 Datsun B-210 had several cats replaced. After looking at these forums if I cannot handel the gas hose  thing myself getting that done will not be a problem. Smog tester was the one who told me to replace the O2 sensors not the cat, I want a second opinion on that. What do you all think.??

Edited by Vanman

There is all sorts of hocus pocus regarding old catalytic convertors not working well enough to pass smog. For example,

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/How-To-Pass-Smog-Test-With-Bad-Catalytic-Converter

some of the reasoning makes sense, not sure the steps described do. clean injectors, new filters, new gas, running the engine for quite a while are all good things to do any way. Another thing I didnt know was this pre-test thing. The smog place should let you do a free re-test. Couldnt hurt to clear up thd engine systems a bit then let the engine run for half a tank and see if it helps.

I believe the CA units had 4 and two maybe AF ratio not O2  that's where it gets tricky because one maybe reacting to what the one with an an issue is causing. I don't think the ECM is capable of sorting that out in a 91. If there is no codes then the figures are important as to O2 and CO levels that the machine picked up.

hc(ppm)  max 120  gp270  meas 213  @ 996 rpm   CO2% meas 10.20   O2 meas 2.80    CO%max 1.00  gp 2.50  meas 5.30   GROSS POLLUTER

hc(ppm)               max180    gp 330  meas194    CO2% 10.70   O2% 2.20   @ 2500rpm     CO%  MAX1.00    GP2.50   MEAS 4.89  GROSS  POLLUTER

Edited by Vanman