Custom fuel tank??

jjrbus

Been reading on the aftermarket tank failures on our Toy's and can see on the one I have where the spot welds are iffy.  Still not installed.

I have been asking around and found a welder to look at my new replacement tank and maybe cobble a fix.  Not just any welder but makes tanks for aircraft for a living.  

Now I am thinking I have $90 in my replacement tank and I suppose this fella is not going to be cheap.  He is doing it at home as a side job, so that should help.

A new OE Toyota tank is in the $400 range.   

So I am wondering what it would cost to build a custom tank?   A 25 gallon tank sure would be nice? 

Anyone have any experience with custom tanks and cost??  I poked around the net a bit and do not see anything.  

Edited by jjrbus

The last company I know of that made the 25 or 26 gallon tanks charged around 700 bucks for one and that was 10 years ago. You have the good fortune to know someone who makes tanks. Just ask him.

I did find one other reference to someone still getting a tank from Aero tanks many years ago and they paid close to 1000. Ya gotta really love not stopping for gas.

I thought a T100 tank might work but a member here told me the space on all the pickups for a fuel tank was the same and only the 37 inch long one would fit. That turned out not to be true. I carefully measured my 112 inch wheel base rig and I have room for a 42 inch long fuel tank. Unfortunately the T100 tank is 46.5 inches. Maybe the tank could be altered or maybe the 137 inch wheel base trucks have more room. I could never get anyone else to measure a long one.

Linda S

Took my tank to Kevin,  he looked it over and decided that it is too iffy to try a repair on it.  Stated that metal was too thin, he would do it if I insisted but would not stand behind it.

Chatted with him about building a custom tank and he gave me a ball park figure of $400 to $600 for an aluminum tank.  Seems very reasonable. 

Suggested getting the old tank cleaned out and lined,  suggested a place to have it done.  Will check on that when time permits. 

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Tell him if he does make a tank for you, and that does sound reasonable, he had better be prepared to make a bunch more. Larger tank is probably one of the most requested parts people are looking for

Linda S

I am kicking this around,  my tank is still good so no pressure yet.    I have been looking at some videos on DIY fuel tanks.   I am sure I could do the metal work and then hire the welding done.  Not sure if I want to put the time and effort into it.