Adding roof top AC 93 Winnebago Itasca Spirit

cptmiker

Hello all. I have a 1993 Winnebago Itasca Spirit 321RB. The RV does not have roof top AC an I want to install one The manual and all the info I can find said it is pre wired for one but there is only 12v wiring to a fan in the center vent. Do I have to add 120v wire to it, if I do That's a major job. I'm pretty good, but really don't want to take it apart just to add AC anyone done this or have in site. According to the wiring diagram. it looks like it tees off from a plug junction box in the upper cabinet. But I would think this should be a direct connect to the power distribution box.

Remove the fan molding and see if there is a power line in the edge of the cutout

OK. Find the junction box in the cabinet. See what goes in and out. Also where does the wires go. 

Often there is a JBox some here maybe inside of a cabinet with a cover on it look for a 20 amp breaker in you power panel it will be for an AC unit. More often than not there is a piece of EMT (metal pipe) in the area of where an AC unit would go for the wire.

There is no EMT. there is only one hole that the Low voltage 12V wire come out of for the celling vent fan. There is a Power plug recptiple in the upper cabinit. I will need to check if this is a dedicated cir. or not It should be for the microwave which I do not have installed. If its not I will need to run a new wire from the breaker box and add a breaker in as there is one open slot on the breaker box. I will also chek the breakers. to see what amp they are. I just figured when it sais pre wired for AC there would be caped off wires. in the celling vent opening next to the low voltage conduit. but there is none. 

I think you will find the wiring you need in the Jbox often they used a piece of EMT to make it easier to run the romix to the AC not as conduit. Be sure to shut off the 20 amp breaker before you go poking around. It was pretty much standard procedure to run the AC wire during construction. 

Well hello All.

This is what I have discovered. There is indeed a dual 15/20 amp breaker in the converter box and the 20amp side is a direct connect to a plug in the upper cabinet. I believe this is used for a microwave. Here is what I have done.

I pulled the 12v wire out of the plastic conduit in the roof after taping the romex to it. pulled it through got a bit stuck at a turn at the end.
I will add a junction box on the other side of the cabinet and then tie the wires together and run back to the plug. I will mark it not to use both the ac and the microwave at the same time. not much else I can do at this point going to make it safe. I will tie up the make safe the 12v wire in the cabinet. I might add a 12v led light in the cabinet. 

The Romex that was connected to the plug was so short I fell much better jumping it from a new junction box to add a wee bit of length to it. I also found that the romex connected to the outlet was very lose and would have been an arcing fire hazard. "good thing".

I am going to check all the other plugs as well to insure they are snug. I also noticed that the Microwave plug had the polls reversed with my tester Ugg. so that will be fixed as well.
Edited by cptmiker

Yes we often call them "cheater breakers" give you two spaces for one slot they are safe though. Romix connected to a plug?

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I converted that Romex from 120V to 12V to run a roof vent after removing the old AC unit. Thanks Dan for the wiring diagram which is very helpful