transmission relay under dash? - toggle switch wired to it-

markg

I've got an 87 Dolphin 900 and it's got a toggle switch that's wired to a blue plastic relay "transmission relay - Toyota" The relay is about 2 inches by 3 inches and seems original. The toggle switch has a red lighted handle that goes hot with the ignition switched on (and with the toggle switched on). Anyone know what this is/does? Wild guesses appreciated too. Could the transmission cooler have an on/off switch?? Thanks much, Mark

Mark;

That may be an auxilliary overdrive switch which would be used when you're above 4,000 ft. elevation.

At that height, an altitude sensor tells the computer to disable the overdrive button on the shifter. What's your

altitude at home where the vehicle is now?

If below 4,000, test this by driving with the OD off and use the toggle switch to go into 4th. Does your Overdrive Off light work?

If above 4K, your OD button should have no effect, so you test by using the toggle to go into 4th.

I've found the pressure (altitude) sensor to be pretty accurate. I've spent a lot of time in the mountain west so I quickly had to install my own toggle. The lighted lever is a nice touch.

Steve Runng

May also be a switch to turn the od on and off. Perhaps the switch on the gear selector gave up. Try the od button and see if it works if it doesn't try your lighted switch.

I just took it out to try the overdrive... no luck. My regular OD button on the shifter works fine... it shifts into OD above 50 or so... pushing the shifter button on/off causes the tranny gear to shift up or down. But when I use the lighted toggle switch there is no effect. I am at 2400 feet (Nevada City, CA). I tried it (red lighted toggle switch) with OD engaged flipping the toggle to on and then off again, and then with the OD disengage (switched of on shifter button). The toggle had no effect either way. The red light within the toggle switch itself glows just fine when the toggle is turned on, though! Maybe my altiude sensor (if I've got one) isn't working? What does an altitude sensor look like and where might I find it? Engine compartment or elsewhere? Thanks much to both of you who've replied. Mark

You know it may have nothing to do with the od maybe it was a good place to pick up power to run some thing else fog lights or some thing?