Last month I bought my first rv, a 1985 Toyota dolphin. i managed to get a really great price on a account that it has the 5 lug axle. For the past month I have been searching  for a 6 lug in north California area. I have found a ff one ton close by from a Nissan Uhaul truck, the owner has two dolphins himself and tells me it will fit. I was wondering if any one can confirm if it will be a straight bolt in fit with no mods ? I’m not a mechanic but I’m considering taking on the job myself. Any advice or links to info about doing the work would also be appreciate. ? 

Edited by Road warriors
Grammar check

You would need a driveshaft adapter to fit it to the differential and probably customizing length of your driveshaft. The wheels have different lug pattern and you would always have to use Nissan brake pads and parts. Harder to find than Toyota because not many were made.

Try calling these guys.

Parts 4 Less Auto Dismantling USA-CA(Turlock) Request_Quote 209-632-2600

their website says the have a dually axle from a 1991 Toyota.

Oh just remembered. I was told that Advantage RV in Napa has several dually axles ,some of them brand new, for sale. These guys used to work at the Sunrader plant in Vallejo and they know their stuff.

https://www.yellowpages.com/napa-ca/mip/advantage-rv-center-inc-17348616

Best possible option

Linda S

Did guy in Turlock have wheels cause you need them too. Dean in Napa is sometimes not real good at getting back to people. Keep trying. Going rate for the axle with wheels is about a grand so he wasn't out of the ball park. Never heard of a junk yard wanting old axle though

Linda S

No wheels. Yeh I felt that, I called him twice today and his receptionists just told me he will call back. I saw one at pick n pull last week for 200, I went home to check a few details since somebody had already pulled the diff off it and returned the next day to find out they had sent it to the crusher along with 6 wheels ? if only they knew. 

I seen this come up and thought it may be useful for you.

https://susanville.craigslist.org/pts/d/dodge-toyota-ford-parts/6639253821.html

he may have what you need for a great deal.

Thanks Derrick, I already checked your links tho and they are dead. I do have owners manual for both the rv and the Toyota truck and your rite it’s not much info in there. I am interested in the service manual for the truck tho its $50 on eBay.... 

I checked the link you sent Linda and it says it’s for an 88 to 95 Toyota truck. Will the config for my 85 be the same ? 

Thanks for the help everyone. I managed  to find myself a one ton dually it’s on its way to me on Saturday from Oregon, including air bags. I plan to fit it on Sunday, is there anything I should consider replacing whilst doing the job I.e leaf spring bushings .. someone mentioned to me I would have to replace u bolts .. ? I’m pretty sure I don’t have to touch the ubolts since I bought the whole rear end. 

Any advice about the job would be appreciated. I’m not a mechanic but i’ll Give it a go. 

08570C66-3B24-444E-994C-AB66AD4D917C.png

New bushings for sure. I hope you have a lift to work with. Trying to get enough ground clearance with jacks only could be a problem. The shackle bolts are often rusted in place and can be a real challenge working on your back. 

The full float axle isn't any different in later years and your 85 has the same frame as my 86 that came with a full float so that manual should work fine for all the ale stuff. Work for the engine too cause they made the 22re for a long time. All the axles Toyota sent out for the recall were 90's axles and they were fitted to older trucks. One thing I want to mention. It looks like the wheels are 6 hand hold wheels. Do you know what year this axle came off of? If it has 6 holes in the rear wheels the drivers side is reverse thread. Only made in 1986. Not a deal breaker but need to know to get the wheels off without breaking studs.

Linda S

I’v already started putting penertrating oil on so hoping that will help a little. Unfortunately I won’t have a lift just a trolley jack and jack stands, it’s the way my farther worked before me and it’s the only way i know how ? 

thanks for the info on the book Linda hope it will be useful in future endeavours also. The rear end is coming out of a 85 yota rv aswell, I have heard of that before also .. I will be sure to look out for it. Thanks ?

Edited by Road warriors