4wd conversion on 89 V6, Do-able? Info,Tips, Posts...?

I am thinking about converting a decent 89 Warrior with the 6 cylinder to 4 wheel drive. I have heard it can be done, I looked around on here for information, didn't find any. Does anyone know of a good maybe even step-by-step blog posts or website.... that really spells out how to do it, how big of a job, expenses, hours?

1 hour ago, longhaul said:

I am thinking about converting a decent 89 Warrior with the 6 cylinder to 4 wheel drive. I have heard it can be done, I looked around on here for information, didn't find any. Does anyone know of a good maybe even step-by-step blog posts or website.... that really spells out how to do it, how big of a job, expenses, hours?

Find a wrecked 4WD Tacoma. You are talking about a major project.

Converting to 4WD from 2WD involves adding a transfer case, totally replacing your suspension (okay, maybe only 99% needs replaced/upgraded; I'm guessing at some of this) and adding drive train components to the front end.  Most 4x4 vehicles are built to higher specifications, so you will be replacing perfectly good parts with identical-looking parts that are tougher.  If you are not passionate about auto mechanics, you will hate it.  I have seen such ambitious projects wreck marriages.  Maineah has the right idea.  Budget in the upper thousands.  If you are still considering it, there are lots of Toyota forums for gear-heads who do this kind of thing for fun.

It would be easier to find a Tacoma 4x4 and transfer the camper box over to it, or custom build a camper from scratch.  (I'd build it from scratch.)

There is a frame cross member the 2wd has but the 4x4 doesn't to make room for the transfer case. Rear axle has to be relocated under the frame instead of above it. A 4x4 Tacoma would require a frame extension which is major work. A full sized Sunrader owner here was attempting a 4x4 conversion but dropped off the radar before we could see the results. I'm thinking it probably didn't go well and he gave up

Linda S

ok, thanks for the info so far, i have a professional auto mechanic who will work for me on this project for ~25/hr and i have a shop space.     would ideally like to get good at it and offer the service to others to convert their Toys to 4wd, and maybe its 'not worth it'...

31 minutes ago, longhaul said:

ok, thanks for the info so far, i have a professional auto mechanic who will work for me on this project for ~25/hr and i have a shop space.     would ideally like to get good at it and offer the service to others to convert their Toys to 4wd, and maybe its 'not worth it'...

You’re going to need more than just a mechanic (even at $25 hr). You have to have a welder, machine shop, metal fabrication ability etc. If you have really “deep pockets” you can give it a try, but like other members said you’re better of transferring to an existing 4x4 chassis. 

Take pictures of your toy home then go look at the suspension on the front of a 4X4 that's just the beginning. The control arms/frame are different the breaks are different the calipers are different it will need a front diff and axles it will need frame work to hold the front diff in. The gear ratios were different so either the front or rear diff will have to be re-geared. The trans is different and will need a transfer case with a shiftier assembly. It's a big long list. 

It can be done, but the frames are entirely different as others have mentioned. 2wd frames have welded in transmission cross members, while 4wd frames have bolt in cross members. All the front steering & brake components, diff mount are different, you'll also need to match gear ratios. A solid axle swap would be easier than trying to IFS it. Lots of guys have converted 2wd trucks to 4wd. If you have more time than money go for it. On a side note, there is no way I'd want to off-road (even mildly) a huge glued together RV. They creak and sway enough going down the road as it is. 

I built a 4wd Chinook using roughly three trucks to make one. I can tell you first hand that I spent at least two months on frame fab work alone, working on my days off or after work. Every cab mount, spring hanger, gas tank mount, wiring, etc had to be changed. Custom drive shaft, custom springs, brake lines, fuel lines and more. I've had it out on a 4wd only beach several times and it is a beast, it just crawls. But I would never attempt taking a 21' rv out on the sands. If budget and time aren't an issue, than you'll have something unique.

Doable. Pictures of 21 ft sunrader with an SAS front conversion, 1 ton, duellies converted to single wheel.

I would only 4x4 a sunrader as the box is fiberglass and will net a tighter, non creaking, less squeaking.

Lots of time and money. No instructions.

0526182114a_HDR.jpg

0526182052c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well your camper is on a 112 inch wheelbase truck so standard cab long bed is a prefect fit. I would want to stay with the 22re and not upgrade to the V6. You don't really need 6 wheels in the back with the weight of a Mirage but if you want them  they are right on your truck. It's already an axle upgrade, just upgrade the other truck.

Linda S

I have so much information to add to doing the 4x4 conversion, it was very expensive, north of $12,000. That was using all Toyota parts that were used. There is Major engineering required and a high level of auto mechanic ability. Welding is required.

Believe me when I tell you, I looked into all of the options. Starting with a donor truck and transferring the cab works over I ruled out as being too cost-prohibitive.

A lot of attention needs to be paid to the weight of the vehicle. Toyota doesn't make a 1 ton truck at all (not even tundra) except for the old ones that they stuck motorhomes on, like mine.

If you were to start with a Tacoma chassis, massive improvements would have to be made to the frame and drivetrain and that doesn't even put the wheelbase in the right place.

I believe the most cost-effective way to get your sunrader 4x4 is to convert an existing sunrader to 4x4 and do it the way I did it.

My shop, although did a great job, doesn't want to do another conversion so I won't advertise who they were.

They told me that they would do another and just throw out a ridiculously high price like 15K and they might do the job for you complete. That 15K does not include Wheels, tires shocks and other things that you might think should be.

A lot of the conversion was done on the Fly. For instance, the sway bar. Nobody makes a sway bar for an sas Toyota so a custom sway bar had to be discovered. We engineered a NASCAR sway bar made by Speedway engineering that ultimately ended up being an inch and 7/16 in diameter. Totally custom mounts linkages welding all had to be done to make the sway bar fit. Even with the added 9in of lift that I put on this vehicle it is as stable as it was stock traveling on the freeway at 80 miles an hour.

Yes I can do 80 miles an hour on the freeway with the stock V6 engine. Although we added several hundred pounds to the front end the SAS differential and transfer case. I am experiencing No Lack of power mostly because I put a all brand new exhaust system Engine Back new catalytic converter all 3 inch diameter. 3 inch loses low end power but gains it on the high-end where I need it on the freeway.

Greg

Yup a Tacoma is too new. He needs to stay with a regular Toyota 4x4 truck, long bed. They have exactly the same wheelbase as the truck his Mirage is already on. The Mirage has no bathroom so no black tank and toilet. It also has integral fiberglass cabinets. The solid fiberglass would make it an excellent choice for a truck switch. I'm betting the whole shell weighs hundreds less than a Sunrader. I'm also sure that it would not put a regular truck with single wheels over the weight limit.

With the Tacoma Toyota drastically lowered the GVWR. All over the world the Hilux is still available and used for motorhomes. It's a real truck not arm candy like a Tacoma. Toyota has increased the GVWR of the Tacoma over the years but surprise. Load capacity remains low because the truck itself has increased in weight.

Linda S

I don't know about that one Linda my  4X4 Tacoma weight rating rating is a good bit higher than any first gen. 1320# payload 6500# tow cap. yes it is a bigger truck than they used to be it's wheelbase is 11" longer than my 97 both are acces cabs. I tow a camper with a combined weight of over 7000#. Yep it's refined by comparison but it's a lot more comfortable sometimes you have to keep up with what the public wants personally I liked the size of my 97 and probably would have bought a Tundra if they were still the same sizes as the older ones.

Curious. Your right about the Tacoma 4x4 payload being almost the same as the 90's trucks. The big drop was in the 2wd trucks. From over 2600lbs for the single wheel 1 ton to  1300 for a Tacoma. The Hilux available in other countries is another breed of truck. Payload is up to 2800lbs and that's for the 4x4. Wouldn't it be nice.

Linda S

4 hours ago, linda s said:

Curious. Your right about the Tacoma 4x4 payload being almost the same as the 90's trucks. The big drop was in the 2wd trucks. From over 2600lbs for the single wheel 1 ton to  1300 for a Tacoma. The Hilux available in other countries is another breed of truck. Payload is up to 2800lbs and that's for the 4x4. Wouldn't it be nice.

Linda S

Yes the Hilux can also be bought with a 3 liter  diesel else where.

Don't forget, having a full floating 1 ton rear end, as some toyota motorhomes have, is a major safety benefit. All this talk about moving/transferring the coach works over to a more worthy chassis, i.e. beefy 4X4 is fine but don't forget you will not end up with a rear full floating 1 ton axle. If the worst happens later down the road, like a broken axle, the full floating rear end leaves you sitting pretty ready for a repair. Others will break and will drop that side of your rig to the ground. At least if you don't crash and burn, your rig will most likely not be easily towable. Just saying.

The dually rear axle is certainly solid but they can be put on a 4x4 truck too. A full float axle single wheel axle from a 90's Land Cruiser is also an option. Dually axle on a 4x4 would require custom wheels so they match the front in diameter

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

The dually rear axle is certainly solid but they can be put on a 4x4 truck too. A full float axle single wheel axle from a 90's Land Cruiser is also an option. Dually axle on a 4x4 would require custom wheels so they match the front in diameter

Linda S

Yes that is an issue when dealing with swaps both diff's need to match there is not enough difference in tire size to make up for a gear mismatch.