Dual fuel tanks ?

Rick92

Is it possible to add a second fuel tank to a 92 Toyota Itasca ?  I think I have the 17 gallon tank and would like to double that capacity.  I can only find stock replacement tanks for sale and don't think they will fit.  

I see lots of issues - where would you put it?  Then you have to plumb it which will make your evap system rather interesting - also another fuel pump/ transfer pump.

Did I mention weight?   

I have a spare mounted on the rear bumper - mine has a steel bumper. I carry a 2.5 gallon gas can (plastic) between spare & chassis - it sits on the bumper.  Makes me a lot bolder if I need to push that 17 gallons. I have never added more then 16 gallons. I usually stop more often (my bladder has a small tank to). 

Traveling in remote areas does require fuel planning.. I find "gasbuddy" app on my smart phone very helpful.   I have even stopped just to get 4 gallon top off because of the limited range.

It is a toyota rv kind of thing. 

btw, I can not see any practical way to add another tank.

I am a plumber so I don’t see any trouble with that aspect.  There is a spot in front of the existing tank that looks good if I reroute the e brake cable or where the spare tire is.  I have a spare tire holder that goes in the receiver hitch.  Rock Auto has all the dual tank accessories if I can just find a tank to fit.  We do the gas can on the bumper thing but it’s only a few gallons and inconvenient.  

Look for a jeep CJ2 under seat gas tank. Something like 24 "x18" x6". 12 gal

6 hours ago, WME said:

Look for a jeep CJ2 under seat gas tank. Something like 24 "x18" x6". 12 gal

... to fit where the spare tire fits (between the frame rails behind the axle) on a standard pickup. Might involve relocating any 'stuff' installed by the motorhome manufacturer in that location.

Weight? Just because the tank capacity is there doesn't mean you have to always keep them full.

• 2 months later...

I took out my generator and air conditioner unit(I reside in San Diego) and bought a 12 gal marine tank an it fits perfect where the generator was... I originally did this to bypasss the rusty fuel tank but even with a check value this solution floods the engine. I was trying to postpone the resealing of the original tank with this so any suggestion to stop the flooding? When i do reseal the tank i'll use this as an extra tank. If i can figure out the flooding issue I'll install a "Y" in the fuel line. Or ill run it to the stock tank. When running it to the stock tank would there be any issues to hook it where the generator pulled fuel from???

extra.jpg

• 11 months later...

We just bought a 91 Spirit, and previous owner installed a tank from a 97 Blazer that, when you flip a toggle near the console, siphons gas into the main. Only used it once, but worked great. We may not always fill it, given weight considerations, but good for remote travel I'm hoping. Just joined, looking forward to learning from the experts.

Edited by SpiritLump
Spelling

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 11:19 AM, SpiritLump said:

We just bought a 91 Spirit, and previous owner installed a tank from a 97 Blazer that, when you flip a toggle near the console, siphons gas into the main. Only used it once, but worked great. We may not always fill it, given weight considerations, but good for remote travel I'm hoping. Just joined, looking forward to learning from the experts.

Can you post pictures of this? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry donttread, just saw your request. Will post pics as soon as I get home to the motorhome. We used the tank twice on our Idaho/ Oregon trip when main tank got low, and once filled the second tank at the OR border to avoid CA gas prices. And the tank is from an 87 Blazer, not 97. Very happy with the system, PO was pretty handy. 

20191016_112754.jpg

Edited by SpiritLump

• 1 year later...

My two cents worth. Guess I mean two gas cans worth. They each hold 2.5 gal. Only used them two times, both in Alaska between some long runs between fuel stations. 

I can run 200 miles safely on the original tank. Usually I need a over night break by then.

Darrel

IMG_0027.JPG

Edited by darrel

On 9/11/2018 at 12:15 PM, charliebrown said:

I took out my generator and air conditioner unit(I reside in San Diego) and bought a 12 gal marine tank an it fits perfect where the generator was... I originally did this to bypasss the rusty fuel tank but even with a check value this solution floods the engine. I was trying to postpone the resealing of the original tank with this so any suggestion to stop the flooding? When i do reseal the tank i'll use this as an extra tank. If i can figure out the flooding issue I'll install a "Y" in the fuel line. Or ill run it to the stock tank. When running it to the stock tank would there be any issues to hook it where the generator pulled fuel from???

extra.jpg

This is a really good way to have a backup fuel tank. I, too, removed my less than stellar Generac generator and have an open space right now. Might look into doing this. 

• 1 year later...

I found this metal tank that will fit on the outside of the frame, behind the driver’s door. Many have a compartment in that area that can be partially taken.

The filler could either be possibly in the wheelwell or inside the compartment.

image.jpeg.3a617d2d6b2dbacbbac5844b2af2e98a.jpeg

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=128/category_id=133/mode=prod/prd128.htm

The upper part of the volume could still be used for storage of a tool box, or another panel placed over the tank to close out the compartment.

Not sure I would want that much fuel on the outside of the frame myself, the original tank is tucked away in a fairly safe spot.

Edited by Ssunrader
Add picture