running lights not working in front top area

mini-wini-dan

My 87 winnebago  has issue with top front running lights. Did not pass inspection today due to this. Mechanic did not find source of the problem yet. Anyone familiar with this kind of problem. He must have checked fuse box. I will start looking myself soon. Any suggestions?

If all your rear lights are working then there's a problem with the wire that runs from the rear running lights and the front running lights. Or the ground for the front running lights. From the factory (Winnebago) there appears to be no separate fuse.

If your mechanic can't understand this wiring diagram, you're paying the wrong guy.

1990 Automotive 085259.pdf

I am the one who does not understand the diagram not my mechanic. Although he seemed uncertain on where to go to fix the problem while charging me $60/hr. That is why I have consulted this forum to see if any of the mini owners have tackled this problem so maybe I can deal with this. I thank you for what you have informed me ablout with the lack of a fuse on this problem which may be evident since the rear lights are working. A bad ground or corrupted wiring somewhere may be the problem? I will do some looking into what I can see by removing lens covers to see what it looks like inside that area. I am open for other suggestions?

I had the same problem once, I found that when I got up there and wiggled the wires the whole string came on. On mine, and I suspect also on yours, the lights are in series.  Also the wires going into and out of each light fixture are tarnished and making poor connections.   The wiring diagram helps visualize the path. 

If you can figure out where the path is "broken", then fiddle with those contacts, you might have success.

See the attached file below.

winnie-wiring4.pdf

• 2 years later...

This an old thread but still useful. Also I was reluctant to start a new one just for a quick (never is) question. Does anyone have an idea where I might look for the ground for the front upper marker lights on an 83 Sunrader? They were quite dim compared to the rear ones. Ground(s) issues or dirty contacts seemed the place to start. 

Sunrader marker lights are all on chain from rear passenger side , around rear to drivers side , up to front and across to passenger side front. Don't think there's a separate ground but there could be damaged wires along the way that aren't supplying full power

Linda S

Thanks Derek and Linda. Since the rears are good, the front driver's side seems like the place to start. Hoping to minimize tear out. 

You're right Derek. That diagram is pretty sketchy - especially when I don't have a monitor panel. It pretty much ignores the truck wiring. Regardless, it will be of some use next summer when I plan to tune up the wiring and plumbing in the back. Thanks. 

Fantastic!! I would not have thought of that. I really didn't want to start pulling the bases on the lights themselves - unless I have to! I did pop the plug-in light units themselves and it's possi-likely I messed up the contacts. Another cleaning, some conductive grease, and a more careful re-seating might work. But first I will check the voltage. 

• 3 years later...

You're right on both accounts, IF everything's still hooked up correctly and components are not kaputt. When on 120V (shore power) your converter/charger unit should juice up a low coach battery—a voltmeter attached to the battery, before and after plugging into shore power, should show you if that's the case pretty quickly. And, like you mentioned, the alternator will also charge the coach battery when the engine's running, if the wiring's still intact and if the isolator unit under the hood (keeps DC power usage in the coach from draining your starting battery) ain't broke.

If none of the above is working right, you might wanna start a new thread in this section, Electrical; there are plenty of folks here who can walk you through everything. Welcome to the forum!