Engine not charging house battery

KGordon

We’re on the road. First night boondocked without issue. Second night parked at an Ohio Tpk rest stop (very civilized) and plugged in. No problems - except I didn’t realize till next AM that the socket was dead (know to check every time now).  When we made a pit stop for gas at a place where the restrooms were beyond skuzzy we decided to use our own facilities.  Went into camper to find electrical system on the fritz. No power to lights, Maxxfans which had been running or even CO detector.  Turned everything off and did a battery reading 2 amps.   Checked 12 amp fuses which all seemed good - but power came back over 3 amps. Detector came back, was able to power pump long enough to flush toilet.  When I went to start it took 4 or 5 tried to start it and have all the dashboard warning lights clear.  When we got to the campground battery was still at 6 amps. Plugged in for the night and had no issues, battery back to 12 amps this morning and truck started fine.  So, what’s going on - short, new converter or ???

Verbiage is important when doing internet diagnosis. AMPS or VOLTS???   How are you measuring??

Edited by WME

My alternator wasn't charging my house battery for a long time. Just didn't realize because I was plugging in often. Turned out it was just a broken wire going to battery from the isolator. Check power at battery isolator then house battery with vehicle running to see if your problem is the same. My 10 year old grandson got under my camper and found the break. We replaced entire run of old brittle wire.

Linda S

Linda - thanks, that sounds like the problem. Couldn’t remember the terminology I needed.  Still learning the lingo, especially when it comes to the electrical systems.  

WME - my bad, amps. And to quote Descartes “I’m sorry I wrote such a long letter, I didn’t have time to write a short one” 

Volts are a static thing like a 12v battery. AMPS is the battery working and expending energy or being charged. Most Toyota MH have a 12volt- 60 amp alternator.

OLD school explanation volts are like water pressure in a hose (a static thing) , amps are the water flowing (as gallons per minute).