Roof Replacement: ¼" Luan vs. ⅛" Hardboard

Hey Everyone, 

So I'm replacing my roof, and looking for some advice on a material...

(I have a '78 Dolphin Micro Mini, so weight is even more important than normal.)

I feel like ¼" luan is the ubiquitous workhorse, so it's what most people recommend. However, while at Home Depot, I found some ⅛" hardboard that feels like it would be lighter (and cheaper). Since it'll be covered in EPDM, and my roof doesn't need to be incredibly load-bearing, is there any reason why I shouldn't go with that, instead? It's half the price of the luan, and has to be lighter than ¼" luan, I would think. 

One obvious downside is that because it's thinner than the luan, it would also be just a little more difficult to walk on my roof, having to be very careful not to cause distress, as it would most certainly be more prone to breakage than the ¼" luan. 

Anyone have an opinion to share? Should I just stick with what everyone uses? Or has anyone used ⅛" hardboard before? 

Knowing how flexible the luan is I would think it would be impossible to walk on your roof with the 1/8 inch hardboard. Your roof also provides structure to your camper. Keeps the walls stable in a very bouncy situation. I can imagine the 1/8 inch stuff fluttering from the wind when your going down the road. Not good. I have worked with luan and hey if this old lady can fling those sheets around luan is not that heavy. I think your camper can handle it.

Linda S

1/8” MDF has a tendency to swell and bulge when in contact with moisture. It’s designed for interior applications. Putting on your roof is inviting disaster. 

25 minutes ago, fred heath said:

1/8” MDF has a tendency to swell and bulge when in contact with moisture. It’s designed for interior applications. Putting on your roof is inviting disaster. 

Hmm...yeah, I mean, I think I was being over-confident in the EPDM to keep the moisture out, but I think everyone knows that's a pipe dream...

I also appreciate the assessment, Linda, about the weight of the luan. 

Okay, I think I'll stick with luan for this. Thank you! 

23 hours ago, notbadbutgood said:

Hmm...yeah, I mean, I think I was being over-confident in the EPDM to keep the moisture out, but I think everyone knows that's a pipe dream...

Even if the moisture does not come down, it can still go up.